Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2015, 06:01 PM   #21

People in the south have no idea how much winter messes up roads. You can build a new road and 5-6 years it a mess. Winter always wins. We have the same issue in MI and we complain a lot about it also.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:55 PM   #22

Tires and wheel bearings

What I have learned from our experience is this, be sure to have your wheel bearings really cleaned, inspected and greased, plan to do it again at 12K miles when you get to that mileage. Also, if you do not have shocks on your coach, install them before you go. I believe the excessive bounce causes the tires to take a terrible beating, also, check your pressures everyday. Also, I would have some air bags installed on your tow vehicle, sure would make the rough road ride a lot better, trust, these things we will do before we ever go again....also, check to see where your ac/dc and propane lines run in advance, make sure if you do have a tire failure they will not get trashed, like ours did..
kickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampnnit View Post
We are heading to Alaska from Florida early this summer. Tires was one of my big concerns. I upgraded the Chinese tires it Michelin XPS Ribs. I had them on my last camper and there were great.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10-VIEW FROM REAR.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	68336  
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:35 PM   #23
Senior Gold Member

If your planning on taking any side trips in Alaska and you should, a few extra tires on rims might be a good investment. Your can always use them as replacement tires in the future if you keep them stored in a dark, dry place when you get back.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:01 PM   #24

SHOCKS...if your coach is a 5th wheel or travel trailer, I would in vest in either a good set of shocks or air bags on the coach..eliminating the bounce from the roads thru the tires will prove beneficial in the long run..if we ever go again, this will be a must..!!!
kickster
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada