Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2017, 01:42 PM   #1

Canada trip

Florida boy traveling needs some info.
traveling from FL to Duluth, to Sault St Marie, to Sudbury, Ont. to Niagara falls then back south.

31 ft. Flagstaff 5th wh. F-250 diesel.

Diesel availability? cost? issues?

conversion tips/ issues?

Must see places?

CavemanFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:51 PM   #2

A quick look on Gasbuddy.com shows lots of availability for diesel in the Sudbury area at about $1.05 per litre. There is about 3.75l per US gallon.

At the moment the U$ is about 30% higher than the Cdn$ which offsets the cost nicely in your favour.

100Kmh is a little under 65mph. 1 meter is about 10% greater that yard (3'). 100 m is about 90yds (270'). 1.6km is approximately 1 mile.

Money is all in dollars but our notes (bills) are different colours and are now made of a polymer. They come in denominations of $5, $10, $20, $50 & $100. It might be worth you checking with your bank as seeing if they have a C$ visa or MC. My Canadian bank has a U$ visa card which avoids me being charged the 2.5% cross boarder fees. I just pay the bill at the end of the month depending upon the current exchange rate - like I said, it's about 25 - 30% in favour of the U$ right now.

There are already numerous threads on the Forest River forum site about what you can and cannot bring across the border with you (no hand guns, OC, mace or other types of spray, etc.). Typically the CBP officers are pretty friendly but like border agents from any country, including the US, some have their own nuances about what they like to check for when you cross.

Canadians are generally friendly and hospitable. Sales tax in Ontario is about 13% (GST + ON tax). In AB we only pay the 5% GST.

I can't suggest what to go and see because I've never driven out that way before but I am heading over there in June. Have been to Toronto and Niagra though. If it interest you there's the Rogers Centre in Toronto for baseball (Blue Jays). Niagra on the Lake is worth stopping at as is Niagra Falls from the Canadian side. Lots of golf courses.

Beer is astronomically expensive on our side of the border and in Ontario is only available at government controlled stores - can't just go in to Wal-Mart and pick up a pack.

If you haven't already, apply for a Parks Canada Pass through their website. This year Canada is 150 years old and the park passes are free. You still have to pay CG fees but not the park entry fees. The pass will be mailed to your home address in the US.

Welcome to Canada and I hope you have a great time.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:30 AM   #3

Be sure to get a Canadian insurance coverage card from your vehicle insurance company. They will provide it for free and it will save you hours of hassle if you have a vehicle incident in Canada. I know!

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #4
Canadian Member

One correction to Hutch333id's post. You can now get beer in many grocery stores here in Ontario. That just started in March or early April. It's more expensive than US beer because it's worth it!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #5

Our beer actually has alcohol in it..
Old 05-10-2017, 07:46 PM   #6

Going to Duluth and then driving across the top of the UP is certainly the long way to get to Sault Ste Marie. However it is worth a stop to look around at Picture Rocks National Lakeshore just past Munising, MI. Short trails and good parking to most of the overlook areas.

If you are a maritime buff, there is a museum highlighting the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald in Lake Superior at Whitefish Point which is not too far from Sault Ste. Marie. A good place to spend an hour or so looking at the exhibits and grounds overlooking Lake Superior.

There were a couple of good places to eat in Paradise, MI. And there is a brew pub and restaurant and a fantastic falls overlook at Tahquamenon Falls St Park. The park has a nice campground.

Also plan on stopping by the locks for a couple of hours. There is a large lock area visitor center prior to crossing the border that is very interesting. You can get real close to the passing freighters as they pass through the locks.

There are a number of outstanding campgrounds in the UP just east of Munising, but all are first come first serve so plan on stopping early if you want a site for the night. I think I have read about Munising City campground that is also highly regarded. If in a pinch, there are places to pull off the road and boondock... not much more then sandy back roads.

I think you are still allowed one case of beer or 750mL of alcohol and one carton of cigs duty free if this is a concern to you.

Have fun and take your time...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:00 AM   #7

In Duluth the Canal Park/Park Point area is a great place to visit. Canal Park is crowded in the summer so you will want to disconnect. Lakehead Boat Basin has a campground nearby that while more of a parking lot than campground it is a great location. If you have bikes you can ride to Canal Park and the downtown area. Two Harbors(about 20 miles up the north shore of Lake Superior)has a great municipal campground with views of Lake Superior.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:10 PM   #8

I am planning on going to Alaska this month and I said 95 cants a liter sounds high. I checked with GasBuddy. I checked with my insurance company which is farm bureau and they told me not to worry. I want to take my time after Dawson Creek
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:24 PM   #9

DW and I just returned from a trip from Georgia to Ontario and back. We were only in Canada for 5 nights though. I did not convert any currency, just used a credit card that did not charge a fee for foreign transactions. Filled up once at $1.06 per liter. Plus one on the Parks Canada Pass, but it did take a number of weeks to arrive once I ordered it. We visited Point Pelee National Park several times, just showed the pass and were waved on through.

We had no issue either coming or going with border crossings, but I made it a point to not have any tobacco (don't use it anyway), alcohol, fresh fruits or veggies, or meat, either way. We just stopped at a grocery store and stocked up before getting to the campground. Also stopped at the local LCBO store (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) to purchase our beverages. Before going back across to the states, we got rid of what few food items we had left, other than condiments, etc.

All in all we had a great time, wish we could have stayed longer.
dlwilliams48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanFL View Post
traveling from FL to Duluth, to Sault St Marie, to Sudbury, Ont. to Niagara falls then back south.

conversion tips/ issues?

Must see places?

Be sure to see the world's biggest nickle, in Sudbury.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:38 PM   #11

Hutch333id

We will be heading up your way to Alberta in July.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ey-134934.html

Iggy
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Hutch333id

Iggy
Iggy, send me a pm with the dates and I'll buy you a beer. I'm not around though till after July 23rd as we're in Ontario our way back to Calgary.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch333id View Post
Iggy, send me a pm with the dates and I'll buy you a beer. I'm not around though till after July 23rd as we're in Ontario our way back to Calgary.
Thank you for the offer my friend. Very nice of of you but we will be in your area when you are on Ontario. I don't have the full scheduled but know we will be in Calgary at the Stampede with my rv group July 7 -13 then heading west and around the big loop north. Lake Louise, Jasper, Ice Fields, etc.

Thanks against
Iggy
Old 06-03-2017, 09:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Hutch333id

Iggy
Do book tickets to the Rodeo and the Chuck Wagon races, they are quite the experience. Make sure to take in a free Stampede Breakfast somewhere! I'll recommend going to Chinook Center's Stampede breakfast for a true Calgary experience... it's free and well over 50k attendees!...actually pretty much ALL breakfasts are free and occur all over the city!

You CANNOT miss the Stampede, the whole city transforms into 'Cowtown' and is an absolute blast...bring your Cowboy hats!!!!

2014 Crusader 351 REQ Touring Edition (the Cottage)
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT (Allison B)
Nights in the Cottage: 2014: 27, 2015: 80 2016: 47,[B]2017:41
2018: Jan= 2, Feb=2, Mar=3, Apr=2, May=7, June=5, July=15, Aug=1,Sept=2,
Running Total:232
Rigpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanFL View Post

conversion tips/ issues?

Must see places?
Hwy 17/11 east of Thunder Bay is very scenic and hilly. Lots of pull offs at scenic lookouts. Kekabecca Falls (sp?), Sleeping Giant Park (Not sure if its a CG or not) its a ways off the highway, but worth it. Terry Fox memorial on highway east of T-Bay. Fishing village of Rossport. Wawa has the worlds largest Goose, lol.

Highway 11/17 splits at White river, 11 goes north/east. 17 Hugs the lake to SSM. 11 is flat and fairly straight. The truck route. No fuel issues. 17 is hilly and windy but scenic. If you take 11 turn south to Timmins then south again on 144 to get to Sudbury. 17 will take you to SSMarie.

SSMarie, no fuel issues. 4 lane highway east of SSM is smooth but slow. 90kph, where most other 4 lane highways are 100kph. Fuel is spotty between SSM and Espanola. South from Espanola will take you on Hwy 6 to South Baymouth, and the car ferry to Tobermory. Ferry is cool, but book your sailing time ahead of time and dont be late at the gate. They dont wait. $/foot for the ferry. Hwy 6 south of Tb=ob will take you to 401 eventually and then QEW to Niagara Falls

From Espanola east will take to Sudbury. Big Nickle, science north and IMAX, mine tour,
4 lane highway in to Sudbury, hwy69 south will take you to 400 south and take you to Barrie then south to 401 west to QEW. Staying on Hwy11 will also bypass Sudbury and bring you out east of Sud towards North Bay where highways 11 and 17 comeback together for a few KM. In NB, Chief Commanda Lake Nipissing boat tour (check schedule), Duschany Falls hiking self tour (free). No fuel issues.

Just on the southern edge of NB 11 and 17 split again. 11 south to 400 to Barrie etc. 17 goes east towards Ottawa.

11 south of NB is 4 lane highway all the way to Toronto. At Toronto if you get on 407 west its a "toll highway". No stopping, its "photo toll", they mail you the bill off your license plate. I think out of Provence plates are free to use 407, but double check the "407 ETR" website.

401 is 5/6 lanes wide in places. Very congested at times. Hours to go a 100KM. Avoid peak travel times, or 401 all together if you can. 401 and 407 parallel each other at times.

Google map your route and copy the link here, locals will chime in.
I live near North Bay and travel the 11/17/400/QEW routes for work fairly commonly.

For example:
Hwy 17 route: https://goo.gl/maps/5F9x6fKvprC2
Ferry route: https://goo.gl/maps/ct5xYqFthZU2
Hwy 11 Northern route: https://goo.gl/maps/GcUsajZDo4E2

Fuel availability is good. Husky truck stops, Petro Canada, Shell, Esso, etc.
Download "gas buddy" app onto your phone, set fuel preference to Diesel, sort by distance and your good. $1.06 to 1.18 per Liter is common. Higher prices the further north you go. Getting in and out of the smaller stations can be a PITA with a trailer. I have a Ram 2500 and a 30' TT and maneuvering in a small station is a pain in the ass sometimes. Stick to truck stops when you can and all will be fine.
DEF is uncommon "at the pump" if you need it. 2.5G jugs can be bought at Napa, Carquest, Canadian Tire, WallyMart etc for $13-18 or so.
dodosmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:22 AM   #16

Rigpdx
Yes we have great seats for the opening ceremony and Chuck Wagon Race as well as one of the evening music shows. We are totally excited and will be heading north from Arizona next week. My group will be meeting at Dicks RV Campground in Great Falls MT for a few days before we start our 31 day visit to Alberta Canada.
I have my cowboy hat all ready packed. lol

Iggy

Tags
canada