Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2020, 07:28 PM   #21

Cell phone

Check out STRAIGHT TALK. Good service. Reasonable prices even out of US. Walmart sells this and on the internet! Used it for years.
Colorado Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:01 PM   #22

I have virgin in Canada and there US add on is expensive and only gives you 200 minutes, 200mb and unlimited texting. I bought a Verizon SIM card and have unlimited calling in the USA and to Canada and Mexico, unlimited texting and 16gb at normal speed and then cut back. Cost $50.00 a month. I will reinstall my Virgin SIM card once I cross the border back to Canada.

Dan and Carol
2019 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/4x4/long box
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway 38FLX
Full timers since May 2019
Axeman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:03 PM   #23

Look into Spectrum Mobile. With one gig plan you can get buy with $20/month and that includes buying a phone. Spectrum runs off Verizon towers. Great coverage.
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:28 PM   #24
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Dokie 2 View Post
Thank you for clearing that up. I did read the question wrong but at least I was willing to help instead of saying
“ look it up yourself”

The search is highly overrated, IMO. My searches start out fair and usually turn into discussions about dogs or campfires, you don’t get much real information.

My brother lives here in the states and uses the Walmart phone card and with a Walmart phone, seems to work great for him.
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:34 PM   #25

Here in the US, we pay twice what the rest of the world pays, and get half the service. Since people do not leave their phone service when something cheaper comes along, it is mainly our fault. The funniest part is that most Americans will not pay upfront for their phone. They will buy a $640 phone with $200 down and then pay $28-35/mo forever. Even after the phone has been paid off. If you want to go cheaper, then get an unlocked GSM LTE phone with the most frequencies. The pay as you go plans will be cheaper, but you might not get coverage. You might want to look into Google's project Fi. With a Pixel phone, they are some what cheap and will use both the T-Mobile and Spring networks at the same time. The Pixel 3 and above will get the 600MHz channel with much longer distance from the tower.

Good luck and have a fantastic trip.
Brastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:16 AM   #26

I used AT&T took my Rogers iPhone into the first AT&T store across the border and they took out my SIM card and inserted the AT&T one. It works in the US and Canada. Much more reasonable than Rogers for data and what we didn’t use rolled over to the next month. After 3 months we were very pleased and will do this again. Much better customer service than Tracfone
desertlakeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:31 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brastic View Post
Here in the US, we pay twice what the rest of the world pays, and get half the service. Since people do not leave their phone service when something cheaper comes along, it is mainly our fault. The funniest part is that most Americans will not pay upfront for their phone. They will buy a $640 phone with $200 down and then pay $28-35/mo forever. Even after the phone has been paid off. If you want to go cheaper, then get an unlocked GSM LTE phone with the most frequencies. The pay as you go plans will be cheaper, but you might not get coverage. You might want to look into Google's project Fi. With a Pixel phone, they are some what cheap and will use both the T-Mobile and Spring networks at the same time. The Pixel 3 and above will get the 600MHz channel with much longer distance from the tower.

Good luck and have a fantastic trip.

I don't know what US cell companies you've had that experience with, but for every phone we've had with Verizon, once the phone is paid for, the charge drops off the bill.
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:04 PM   #28
10 yrs. permanent RVer

Telephone from Canada to USA

Check out plans from Simply Connect. Packages are reasonable and get a Canadian number. They are on the Internet.
PapaSmurf31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:30 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spragueman View Post
I am leaving shortly for 3 months in the US. Canadian plans for phone text and data are stupid expensive. Any suggestions for a month to month plan in the US that will provide coverage and the costs involved
Thanks
You might want to check out Google Fi. $35.00 for two lines plus $10.00 per Gig of data $100.00 max plus fees and taxes. I just switched to them since we are pretty much always around a WiFi signal and rarely use over 3GB of data in a month. Our RV even has a good WiFi hotspot so no data use there either unless we lose signal when travelling. Google Fi even lets you know if you are not on WiFi. It will save me over $800.00 a year on my phone bill.
harleyfltri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover