Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2024, 02:27 PM   #1

Dog Importation Rules (into the US) changing August 1 2024

The CDC just announced new rules for bringing your pet into (or back into) the United States. This will seemingly apply to all pet owners, even those crossing over for vacation. Here's a copy/paste from the facebook post:

Quote:
Starting on August 1, all dogs entering the U.S. (including those that left the U.S. and are returning, and regardless of the country they are coming from) must be:

• healthy upon arrival
• at least 6 months of age
• microchipped
• accompanied by a CDC Dog Import Form receipt and required vaccination and veterinary documents.

Additional requirements may apply depending on where the dog has been in the last 6 months and whether or not the dog was vaccinated in the United States.

Use CDC’s Q&A tool (the CDC “DogBot”) to determine what rules apply to your dog: https://www.cdc.gov/importation/brin...ates/dogs.html
I have not been able to get the DogBot link to work, however. We frequently travel cross border with our dog so this change could lead to a bit more hassle, I'm especially curious about the Dog Import Form.

Anyone have any additional insight on these new rules?
Moved from Ohio, USA to Quebec, Canada in 2023
Places where the Roo has slept:
EcoBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 03:09 PM   #2

Went to the CDC website.

It reads to me that your dog must be tested after his rabies shot. Never heard of that.

Only one brand of chip reader. No they are not all the same. You might have the wrong one. Thus you may need Phydeaux re chipped.

Need photos of the dogs teeth.

Well maybe we will not be visiting Canada this year.

My understanding is a lot of Executive orders like this are currently being approved. Most appliances are an issue as well as Air Conditioning units.
tomkatb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 07:09 PM   #3

Boggles the mind. Dogs need chips to enter the country. What's next, chipped people?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 08:55 PM   #4

We are heading to Canada with our dog June 19th, for a week. Crossing back to the US around June 27th or 28th. CG reservations are paid. So we are going. Looks like the rules are still relaxed all the way to July 31st. I will bring all documents I have (All Vaccination records, City Registration Permit, Chip #,etc.). I will also take that CDC form to our vet and have them certify our dog.

This is plain stupidity, especially if our dogs are being brought back to the US (not initial import). While Canada is NOT on the list of the High Risk Countries, we better be prepared.

Last time we went to Canada was 2022 in our motorhome. Both borders (US and Canada) did not even ask if we have a dog. Both sides did not ask for any documents. It may be different this time.
ADOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 12:48 PM   #5

Seriously?

But illegal aliens can just walk right in.
SMH.....

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 12:50 PM   #6

I wanted to add that part. But I don't want forum Admin to get the wrong impression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazman View Post
SMH.....
Old 05-09-2024, 02:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazman View Post
SMH.....

That is a stretch, but I get your point.

I have never had a problem bringing my dogs back into the US in the past. I am however a different story.
Old 05-09-2024, 02:41 PM   #8

I did the dog bot form and it isn't really that big of deal unless your dog is from a listed country. I did not see Canada or Mexico on the list. So basically you have to fill out the form in advance, have proof of rabies vaccination, and have the dog microchipped. This was just a quick review and read by me-your results possibly may differ.

These are all requirements that any good pet owner will have already done.
Old 05-09-2024, 03:04 PM   #9

Phil, I agree that a responsible dog owner already have those (vaccines, microchip, etc). Just additional expense for us to take that form to a Vet to have them sign the form and verify the information. Another thing that concerns me is the wording about the micropchip requirement, "ISO-Compliant Microchip Number". How do we know if our dog's current microp chip meets that requirement? I have the microchip number. But how do we verify if it is compliant? What if our microchip does not fall under that list? Different manufacturer? Do we need to get our pets re-microchipped?
Old 05-23-2024, 06:36 PM   #10

Use the chip number

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOR View Post
Phil, I agree that a responsible dog owner already have those (vaccines, microchip, etc). Just additional expense for us to take that form to a Vet to have them sign the form and verify the information. Another thing that concerns me is the wording about the micropchip requirement, "ISO-Compliant Microchip Number". How do we know if our dog's current microp chip meets that requirement? I have the microchip number. But how do we verify if it is compliant? What if our microchip does not fall under that list? Different manufacturer? Do we need to get our pets re-microchipped?
You should have/know the chip number for your pet. Enter the chip number into the search box for Duck Duck Go or your browser of choice and you should be able to find out more about the type of chip and where it’s registered. Then call the organization where it’s registered and ask them if it’s ISO-Compliant.
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 11:21 PM   #11
Dano

It's a little more complicated than that. Yes, the compliant microchip, the entry form every time you travel back into the US, and yes the rabies vaccination. The bigger issue is the Vet has to fill out a vaccination and health form online attesting to the vaccination. There will be a minimum fee for the Vet, and filing. And that's a per dog charge. The Vet's filing will last as long as the vaccination is valid. They are 1 or 3 years from the date of the vaccination. You will have to fill out the entry form every time. I travel with 3 dogs, 15 times a year into and back from Canada. The DW is Canadian.
dmwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 05:39 AM   #12

This seems like a topic that could get emotional and political if we aren’t careful. That said. It seem this is also a subject that is damned if you do damned if you don’t. If we had no system in place to control potentially Diseased animals entry into the US just as many of us would complain about that.

I think a system of pet passports of some sort would be the answer.
MGD1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 10:03 AM   #13

I found the company who made our pet's microchip. I will get in touch with them to ask if they are ISO compliant. We have the 15-digit number, starting in "981". So that is a good sign. I also downloaded the form from CDC. Will be taking it to the Vet this Monday. I am sure the vet office will charge me for that paper to be filled out.

I agree that we don't want any dogs from foreign country that may have any form of disease to get into our country.

What doesn't make sense is for us Americans, who are travelling to Canada with our dogs (out bound), are going to be subjected to this stricter rules when returning home with our pets (inbound), when we already had shown to the Canadian border official our documents. Same exact documents coming back should be enough for US border officials.
Old 05-31-2024, 10:39 AM   #14

Got the CDC form filled up and signed by our vet (no charge). Microchip is ISO compliant. Rabies certification and all other vaccination records in hand. These requirements is not in effect until August 1st. But I better have them just in case. Leaving 14 days from today. Will be in Vancouver, BC for a week. I will post back on how the re-entry to the U.S. will be.
Old 05-31-2024, 11:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOR View Post
What doesn't make sense is for us Americans, who are travelling to Canada with our dogs (out bound), are going to be subjected to this stricter rules when returning home with our pets (inbound), when we already had shown to the Canadian border official our documents.
That makes sense, as long as you can prove that:

1) You left the country with a dog.

2) The dog you are bringing back is the same dog you left the country with.

3) The Canadian official actually checked your documents.

Right now, or even with the new rules, you cannot prove any of the 3.

My perspective is a little different than most here because my spouse volunteers at the local animal shelter and as a result we are exposed to the worst of the worst dog owners.

Remember, rules are not written for the vast majority that follow the rules. They are written for the rulebreakers, scofflaws and "I am too special to follow rules" types.

A few years ago, I would have said "who follow the rules and have the animal's best interest at heart." These days, people who I believe have the animal's best interest at heart are doing insanely stupid things like skipping all vaccinations including rabies vaccinations.

Regarding ISO compliant tags, I believe all tags implanted in the USA by actual vets or real shelters/rescues in the last decade or more are ISO compliant. Very old tags (older than a typical dog's lifespan) or tags from 3rd world countries may not be. It breaks my heart to add that this suspicion extends to some "independent rescues" here in the USA that are only a hair better than animal hoarders with the attitude.

While this creates more work for the responsible pet owner, this may be the most modest step required to address a real problem. If you want to blame someone for creating the problem, you can direct your ire at vaccine deniers. Many human diseases that were mostly extinct due to vaccination are making a comeback. We do not need to add rabies to that list.