Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #1

Driving 17e from Sault St. Marie to Ontario down to NY

We are taking a long trip this summer, and as the title says, we are taking 17 accross from the Soo to Ontario and down into NY. We have made the trip many times but not pulling a camper, and its been 7 years since the last trip. My question is for our fellow canadians who know the area, are there plenty of gas stations along that road, especially between the Soo, Sudbury, North Bay and Petawawa? Hubby figured to average 250 miles between fill ups, so we are considering taking gas cans with us. Will we be able to find a station every 250 miles? Any areas that are dry of gas stations that we should make sure we have a full tank before moving through? Thanks so much for any info and help, I just want to make sure we are prepared. I didn't have much luck with research on the computer.
Campingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #2

Since no one from Ontario has replied I'll give it a shot. We have pulled our fifth from Winnipeg to Toronto on 17. From Sault St Marie to Sudbury 192 miles there are plenty of gas stations along the way. From Sudbury we continued South to Toronto, plenty of fuel along the way! On an Ontario map it appears there is plenty of towns between Sudbury and North Bay 80 miles. From North Bay to Petawawa is a 122 miles. From Petawawa going South is pretty populated, you should have no problems. Mileages are approximate. If you can, consider driving from Thunder Bay east along the North shore of Lake Superior to the Soo the scenery is awesome. Enjoy your trip
Old 06-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #3

Being from Ontario and having done this trip many times you will have NO!! problem with fuel Have a good trip and yes the senery is AWESOME!!
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #4

Thank you for the responses. One less thing to worry about. Getting excited for this trip, I haven't seen my family in 7 years!
Old 06-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #5

X2 on scenery between Tbay and TO. Planty of fuel stations inbetween. Enjoy youe trip!
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #6

Lots of gas and diesel on the road but you will not like the price! Have a good trip.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #7

Prairiecamper do you have any favorite campgrounds from Thunder Bay to Soo? We are planning on going in August. Will we need to reserve any sites?
ecclesil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
Lots of gas and diesel on the road but you will not like the price! Have a good trip.
Its still cheaper than flying, renting a car, hotel rooms for 3 weeks and approx. 5 meals a day (feeding 2 teens, one is 6'6" 18y boy who eats ALL the time). and none of the above would be as fun as camping all the while you are visiting family.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingchick View Post
Its still cheaper than flying, renting a car, hotel rooms for 3 weeks and approx. 5 meals a day (feeding 2 teens, one is 6'6" 18y boy who eats ALL the time). and none of the above would be as fun as camping all the while you are visiting family.
X2
Old 06-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclesil View Post
Prairiecamper do you have any favorite campgrounds from Thunder Bay to Soo? We are planning on going in August. Will we need to reserve any sites?
I'm not familiar enough with the campgrounds from T.Bay to the Soo to make any recommendations. Sorry. The only one I could recommend is Kakabeka Falls, but it is West of Thunder Bay. I don't think reservations would be required, however maybe somebody closer to the geographic area could respond.