Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #1

Hwy 3 from Vancouver to Ft Macleod

Looking to take a trip in Canada this year. Has anyone ever taken Hwy 3 from Vancouver to Ft Macleod? What is the road like? We have done Hwy 1 before, so looking for a new route. We are pulling a 42ft fifth wheel.
andreatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreatk View Post
Looking to take a trip in Canada this year. Has anyone ever taken Hwy 3 from Vancouver to Ft Macleod? What is the road like? We have done Hwy 1 before, so looking for a new route. We are pulling a 42ft fifth wheel.
Beautiful drive!!!
Less traffic than Hwy 1, beautiful scenery, a lot of small towns have campgrounds large enough to accommodate big rigs, depending on the season the fresh fruit and produce is amazing.
One word of caution though, make sure you have enough truck for some of the steep grades. Riverside campground near Kimberley is very nice and you can stock up on supplies in near by Cranbrook. The town of Kimberley has a few nice restaurants in the downtown area, Campo Marina in Osoyoos is hard to beat and so are the many small wineries.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:52 PM   #3

! will second the above post. For the most part it is two-lane highway with some stretches of four-lane and passing lanes on grades, There are NUMEROUS steep uphill sections of considerable lengths that you will have to negotiate. Lots of small towns, so fuel and other facilities are available. Just remember that it is basically a "mountain" highway, and definitely not a U.S. style interstate freeway.

...VTX-Al
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Beautiful drive!!!
Riverside campground near Kimberley is very nice and you can stock up on supplies in near by Cranbrook. The town of Kimberley has a few nice restaurants in the downtown area,
I have only driven Hwy 3 between Ft McLeod and the US border crossing at Kingsport, ID but found it to be a very pleasant and not too taxing a drive. I can also concur with Riverside Campground, Kimberley. Although I would like to bring of one important factor to your attention. On the river view sites, there is a very steep drop of about 80'+ form the site to the river. If you have young children or pets this is something you would definitely want to consider. On our most recent visit we stayed in a Meadow View site, slightly less expensive and only a few spaces from our first visit that was at River View site.
The first three photos are one of the Meadow View site, the last two are the drop-off at the back of the River View site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4588.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	482.5 KB
ID:	162825   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4587.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	577.6 KB
ID:	162826   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4592.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	438.2 KB
ID:	162827   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0020.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	712.7 KB
ID:	162828   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	716.4 KB
ID:	162829  

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:28 PM   #5

Thanks

Thanks guys for all the help, sounds like we will have a great trip. We are looking forward to it!
Andrea
andreatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #6

Welcome to Canada!!!

Brandon2
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreatk View Post
I have driven that route many times, latest being last summer. I concur with previous remarks about steep long grades, if I recall some might even be 7%.
Definitely a scenic drive, easier going west to east especially into Osooyos where you will have a steep decent into town, you will need good brakes. Climbing eastbound out of Osooyos will be slow with several switchbacks and will test your tow vehicle cooling system. When you get to the town of Frank in Alberta stop and go to the Frank slide interpretative center, very interesting. After you leave Frank you will be out of the mountains in less than an hour. Enjoy your trip.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
I have driven that route many times, latest being last summer. I concur with previous remarks about steep long grades, if I recall some might even be 7%.
Definitely a scenic drive, easier going west to east especially into Osooyos where you will have a steep decent into town, you will need good brakes. Climbing eastbound out of Osooyos will be slow with several switchbacks and will test your tow vehicle cooling system. When you get to the town of Frank in Alberta stop and go to the Frank slide interpretative center, very interesting. After you leave Frank you will be out of the mountains in less than an hour. Enjoy your trip.
Isn't it more like 11% in some places?
Whatever, we should stop promoting this route or else it might get crowded this summer
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:23 PM   #9
AF CMSGT RET

Been there done that above and there’s enough 11% grades to mak it interesting plus the right switchbacks but still a beautiful ride
pickeljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:24 PM   #10

We love Hwy 3!! Usually like to spend a little time in Osoyoos at Haynes Point Provincial park and do some of the south Okanagan wineries. You might want to check on your size re Haynes Point. The trip through the various passes is fabulous. Take your time, lots of interesting little towns along the way. We usually plan a coffee stop in Greenwood , and a side trip to Nelson. We also like to divert over to Nelson , go to Kokanee Creek Provincial campground for a couple of nights, and then cross at the Balfour ferry (free) and down the other side of the lake to Nelson, where you reconnect with Highway 3 and it gets you rid of one pass. You will love Highway 3.
It gets busy after July 1 so you might consider some camping reservations.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch333id View Post
... Although I would like to bring of one important factor to your attention. On the river view sites, there is a very steep drop of about 80'+ form the site to the river. ..., the last two are the drop-off at the back of the River View site.

Oh, ok! In the photo’s there are trees to catch the kids with any luck they will hang up before getting to the river.

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote