Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2020, 11:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
We have dreams of RVing from NC to Canada (Niagra Falls, Toronto, Montreal, etc) as well as going to Alaska. So if I'm following this thread correctly, and assuming non-covid times, best/easiest to buy your produce and meats in Canada and finish them off/discard before returning to the states. And if you have a furry friend along, bring all the vaccination paper work. And lastly, easiest to leave the concealed carry at home unless you fill out the paperwork in advance.

Yes? Just trying to make crossing in and out easy.
You're correct on everything except the firearms - concealed carry is not legal in Canada (exception being law enforcement and very limited occupational requirements). Some firearms are permitted with permits.

This is a good reference for all restricted/prohibited items: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...g-mrp-eng.html
graman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:53 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
And lastly, easiest to leave the concealed carry at home unless you fill out the paperwork in advance.

My understanding is that the ONLY purpose for taking a pistol into Canada is to attend a properly scheduled shooting match. Friends of mine who used to do this have said that more recently it is more work than it is worth. None participate any longer.

Again my understanding, long guns are permitted on your way to a specific hunting opportunity. In both cases, you must go directly to and from your specific, approved, destination. Even for folks going to Alaska, the best plan is to ship them ahead and pick them up when you enter the state.

In short, leave your firearms at home.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:15 AM   #23

Taking this thread off-topic...

If the border closing lasts much longer, I wonder how many sites will become available in Florida, Texas, etc. this winter....
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:21 AM   #24
Kanadian Kamper

Al.....

The answer to your question of how many sites there’ll be this winter, is the same in metric or imperial..........LOTS!

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:53 AM   #25

I agree with Ken and Terry. The likelihood of many (or even any) RVers from Canada going to Florida and Arizona for this Snowbird season is approximately 0%. That's the same in Metric and Imperial.

The rolling extension of the border closure for non-essential travel is likely to continue for several months – at least to the point where the Snowbird would have to navigate a potentially snowy route to the south.

The other big panic for Canadians is the need for medical insurance. When we travel within Canada, we have reciprocal provincial medical coverage for our country-wide health care. When we go to the US, we suddenly have to start negotiating for insurance in the US and most of us Canadians aren't very good at it. Most insurers who we would seek for coverage will not insure us if we travel to a country where the Government of Canada has issued a recommendation (or ordinance) against non-essential travel. The bi-lateral closures between Canada and the US will kill almost all medical insurance that Canadians can purchase, so it is really hard to plan ahead.

So, those of you from Northern US states will have the luxury of finding lots of availability of Snowbird sites this winter.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsick View Post

The other big panic for Canadians is the need for medical insurance. When we travel within Canada, we have reciprocal provincial medical coverage for our country-wide health care. When we go to the US, we suddenly have to start negotiating for insurance in the US and most of us Canadians aren't very good at it. Most insurers who we would seek for coverage will not insure us if we travel to a country where the Government of Canada has issued a recommendation (or ordinance) against non-essential travel. The bi-lateral closures between Canada and the US will kill almost all medical insurance that Canadians can purchase, so it is really hard to plan ahead.

–Gordon
You bring up a good point - once travel restricitons are relaxed, I'd be willing to bet travel health insurance rates will either go up significantly, or they will be severely limiiting their coverage, even to countries that aren't on the advisory list...that could put a damper on many people's cross-border travel plans.

The way things are going, I wouldn't plan on any US/Canada travel until at least next year - even that's a huge gamble.
graman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer View Post
I'm looking at a trip to Niagra in 2021 (assuming we've got a vaccine by then). It looks like some of the better rated campgrounds are over in Ontario. How hard is it to get a rig across the border?
FYI - I just camped at the nicest private campground I have ever seen - it’s called Branches Of Niagara, 10 min south of the falls (Grand Island, NY). It was the cleanest, nicest, best staff, of any campground I’ve ever seen. It’s pricey, but it is worth it. If I’m spending a weekend up there again, I’d stay there again in a heartbeat.
Craigrigney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:20 PM   #28

Canada

We have been many times, always with proper documentation for pets and ourselves. Never a problem. Don't carry a gun across the border. As soon as they fully open the borders again, we'll be there..... The camping and sightseeing is great in the area you plan to travel. Research ahead or you won't have time for everything. Have always just said that we have our food that is in the refrigerator and nothing else other than dry goods. Have fun (whenever we are able to travel to Canada again). Look at official Canadian customs website for info.
kimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:46 PM   #29

I don’t for see the border opening before 2021 to be honest based on what I am hearing. Also as stated concealed carry is not allowed here and those that get caught trying are usually charged, fined, lose the gun and sent back. This could bar you from entry for live. This would make it hard to travel to Alaska.

Dan and Carol
2019 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/4x4/long box
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway 38FLX
Full timers since May 2019
Axeman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:49 PM   #30
HOLIDAY ROAD

I suggest taking at least a year off from all your travels and stay home. Why we must find it necessary to continue travel during a pandemic is beyond me. The sooner we accept it the sooner we can recover. I guess some people think it’s there right to live how they want. Seems pretty selfish to me. Hopefully the US/Canada boarder will stay closed. I have heard cases where American citizens used the “I’m traveling to Alaska” excuse to cross the boarder into Canada and then vacationed in Banff Alberta. Pretty selfish if you ask me. I suggest if you want to go to Alaska put your RV/ other on the ferry in Seattle and travel that way. Everyone I have talked to over the past few months have no desire to travel to the USA until that country comes to there senses and gets things under control. Read the article “Eyam Plague;The Village of The Damned” May god help you!
Holiday Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:00 PM   #31

I was reading they are starting to crack down on the Alaska loophole as they call it. I agree the longer the border is closed the better. The last national pole I believe showed over 75% of Canadians also agreed.

Dan and Carol
Old 08-03-2020, 09:54 PM   #32
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman49 View Post
I was reading they are starting to crack down on the Alaska loophole as they call it. I agree the longer the border is closed the better. The last national pole I believe showed over 75% of Canadians also agreed.
83% was the latest poll of Canadians favouring leaving border closed. And yes, much tighter measures introduced last week with regards to travel to Alaska. There are now only 5 border crossings you are allowed to present to in order to carry on to Alaska, and they are all Western crossings. And now a special permit must be displayed on your rear view mirror and it is date specific as to how long you have to get there and you must report to Canadian Border Services prior to entry into Alaska. Not allowed to be in any tourist areas, and the fines are heavy.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:26 AM   #33

Hopefully covid.will be under control in 2021. If not, tje border will likely be closed. Assuming the best crossing is a snap but dont: bring fruits across (Ontario has a thriving fruit industry), do not bring weapons or ammunition (Canada has very strong gun laws), if you have pets, make.sure you have vaccination certificates and if carrying more than $10,000 declare. Its not a problem I encounter and you would not be penalized unless you fail to declare.
Rgdancingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:09 AM   #34

On the currency issue it is $10,000.00 in the currency of the country you are going to not coming from.

Dan and Carol
Old 08-04-2020, 05:08 PM   #35

Niagara Falls KOA

We stayed at the Niagara Falls KOA in Ontario Sept 2019 and had no issues getting in with a 29 ft travel trailer. The agent asked where we were going, when the last time we were in Canada and if we had a gun with us (no). We got right through and the campground was on a bus route so we bought a pass and were able to ride the bus for 2 days as much as we wanted. It took you to several stops and you could stop at several restaurants.
Campground sites were tight but we didn't mind that. We wanted the convenience of being on the Canadian side as our destination after was Macinaw City and it cut at least 100 miles off our trip.
Getting back into the US at the Port Huron customs was another story. That took about 1 hour or more and they didn't clearly mark what lane we were supposed to be in.
Since you're looking to travel in 2021, hopefully, there won't be any travel restrictions then.
DonSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:18 PM   #36

What I read.
hotrod4448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:16 AM   #37

[QUOTE=GalsofEscape;2371609]... If you end up here on the US side, i highly recommend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
If you end up here on the US side, i highly recommend 4 Mile Creek State Park - it is just a short drive north of Niagara Falls (15 min??) - on the shores of Lake Ontario. It is also next door to Fort Niagara State Park - i enjoyed touring the Fort and there is a pool there.
I stayed at 4 Mile Creek State Park last year and found it to be quite convenient.

Parking at Fort Niagara is free and there also is a free “Discover Niagara Shuttle “ service that runs from Fort Niagara to Niagara State Park with several stops inbetween. The shuttle runs about every 30 minutes which gives you the opportunity to get off; view the local attraction and get on to go somewhere else.

Fort Niagara is worth an hour or two to visit. They have a great film and there are folks in period costume that are "working". Also, we had a GREAT one-on-one tour guide who provided a lot of insight.

Be sure to visit the New York Power Authority Power Vista (via the free Discover Niagara Shuttle); great stuff for the kids and also interesting displays on the construction of the power station and the history of the Tuscarora Indians.

On the way to Niagara State Park the Discover Niagara Shuttle stops at Whirlpool State Park and Devil's Hole State Park; two great (easy) walking paths that offer GREAT views of the Niagara River.

At Niagara State Park, I recommend the “Discovery Pass” which provides an economical way to take in the “for pay” attractions that are offered in the park. The pass is a multi-day opportunity that doesn't require you to "consume" all the attractions in a single day.

Last year, I walked across the Rainbow Bridge (from Niagara State Park) to Canada. Then via a walking tour, I took in “Journey Behind the Falls”, “White Water Walk” and “Whirlpool Aero Car”.

On the way home, I stopped at Lockport NY for the historic cave tour and underground boat ride.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada