Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2020, 01:10 PM   #1

Is Canada an option

I'm looking at a trip to Niagra in 2021 (assuming we've got a vaccine by then). It looks like some of the better rated campgrounds are over in Ontario. How hard is it to get a rig across the border?
slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:15 PM   #2

There was something news about USA people coming in would be stop because they Don't want more virus coming in . I would check before you leave.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:34 PM   #3

should not be too hard - if the border ever reopens - I have Canadian friends who come over to the US all the time. There are restrictions - so do a google on crossing the border and i bet you will find the information.

If you end up here on the US side, i highly recommend 4 Mile Creek State Park - it is just a short drive north of Niagara Falls (15 min??) - on the shores of Lake Ontario. It is also next door to Fort Niagara State Park - i enjoyed touring the Fort and there is a pool there.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:30 PM   #4

You'll have a lot less problem getting your rig into Canada than its occupants.

Can't blame them though.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:32 PM   #5
Old Soldier

Cross border RVing

Once (if) there is a vaccine and some degree of normality returns you will find much excellent RVing in the Niagara area of Canada - many high quality wineries to tour and taste. The Stratford Festival, the Shaw Festival. Niagara on the Lake. You will need a good 10-14 days to explore! Good luck and be well...
ColonelRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:48 PM   #6
SJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer View Post
I'm looking at a trip to Niagra in 2021 (assuming we've got a vaccine by then). It looks like some of the better rated campgrounds are over in Ontario. How hard is it to get a rig across the border?
When we crossed the border from Washington state into British Columbia three years ago there was no problem going into Canada (that, of course, was pre-Covid) but there was hassle coming back into the US regarding food in our RV. When we said all of our food had been purchased in the US, the US customs person "If it's been in Canada, it's Canadian." They had us pull into a holding area and they inspected our trailer and the food we had. In the end they let us keep all the food as we had no citrus, chives, green onions, leeks, or potatoes but it did add some time for us in getting across the border .

There is a brochure called "Bringing Agriculture Products to the United State from Canada" that they gave us. This may be an issue specific to coming back into Washington state from Canada.

Good luck in 2021!
Old 07-21-2020, 02:04 PM   #7

Entry restrictions

"Travel to Canada for discretionary reasons (non-essential), such as for tourism, recreation or entertainment is currently prohibited. Unless exempted, if you do not have a non-discretionary (essential) reason to travel to Canada, a border services officer will deny you entry.

If you are displaying symptoms of COVID-19, you will not be permitted to enter Canada, regardless of your reason for travel."

This advisory is taken from the Canadian gov. website.

Given that the U.S. possesses 4% of the world's population and contains 25% of the world's coronavirus cases is most likely the basis for their policy. As others have stated, any re-opening in the next year or so would most likely depend upon getting the virus under control in the U.S.
tworootrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:06 PM   #8

SKB we crossed in 2017 coming back from Alaska and all we were asked was if we had any fresh food - produce, fruit, meat etc. . We did not and boom we were in. That may have just been that crossing or it may have been the fresh stuff that was a no-no.
medalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 04:48 PM   #9

Canada and the US have had a series of one-month bilateral agreements that say non-essential travel between the two countries is not allowed. The latest such agreement goes to August 21, 2020.

To be clear, this knocks out RV travel to the other country.

We've been enjoying the ability to visit campsites in Alberta that are hard to get into when the border is open. I'm sure that the same is happening for American RVers.

I certainly don't want this to continue, especially since Canada is a bad country for snowbirds. But, the situation is tolerable for a while.

Canada will allow Americans to enter if they are proceeding on to Alaska. Some Americans tried this loophole to visit Banff and were foolish enough to brag about this in a Banff restaurant. They were hit with very hefty fines. I think the fines were something like $1-$2K per person.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:36 PM   #10

IF the Canadian authorities decide to let you in you will have to provide documentation of where you will be staying and self quarantine for 14 days. The local or Provincial Health Authorities will do random checks to make sure that you are complying. You will have to have a passport and I would highly recommend documentation that says you were recently tested for COVID-19 and what the results are. You will definitely have to have masks and you will have to wear them outdoors in a lot of locations. Bear in mind that in Canada you can be arrested AND fined for violations of local codes, Provincial codes and National codes. Also remember: Our Administration closed the border with Canada in retaliation for the restrictions Canada placed on US citizens entering Canada. It may be equally hard for you to return and you will probably have to self quarantine again.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:28 PM   #11

For the OP who said the trip is for 2021...

I've taken my trailer over to Ontario several times. If you are obviously prepared, you probably won't have an issue.

Bringing pets, which I didn't, may make it a bit harder. Pets require current shots and paperwork.

Bottom line, check the Canadian government web sites on what you can take into the country. Right up at the top, don't take any type of fire arm or bear spray. Pay attention to food and alcohol limits. Etc. FWIW, my DW has a printed list of food that we are taking with us. Know that there are specific restrictions on fresh, non-frozen foods.

Beyond that, have your passports and vehicle documents out and ready. Take off any sun glasses, radio off, ....
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:30 PM   #12

Also bear in mind the popularity of camping has grown exponentially this year, a lot of people have bought RV's for the first time as foreign travel is pretty much dead this year, and likely much of next year. At least here in BC, it's put a huge strain on campgrounds/RV parks - well over 90% of reservable sites available were fully booked for the entire summer when the online reservation system opened this year. Only a small portion of sites are set aside for first-come first-serve and we were turned away from 2 different campgrounds that were overbooked despite sites showing available online. There are backcountry campsites, but at least here in BC the roads can be prohibitive and/or undesireable for many RV's. Demand may be lower next year, but I think a lot of people have committed to staycations for the next few years at least, which will make RV tourism much more difficult regardless of where you're coming from. Provincial campground reservations in BC are also limited to BC residents currently - I think a few other provinces have adopted this procedure as well, though privately-owned sites set their own policies.

Getting your vehicle across the border will likely be the easiest part of your trip - it's definitely going to be hard to plan anything in advance for the next couple of years though.
graman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:48 AM   #13
Site Team

The site team has deleted all the hijacking off topic posts that have nothing to do with the OP's question..

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:19 AM   #14

It is a lot harder for US citizens and permanent residents to get back into the US than it is for them to enter Canada. Be aware of restrictions on food items and firearms.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:29 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
should not be too hard - if the border ever reopens - I have Canadian friends who come over to the US all the time. There are restrictions - so do a google on crossing the border and i bet you will find the information.

If you end up here on the US side, i highly recommend 4 Mile Creek State Park - it is just a short drive north of Niagara Falls (15 min??) - on the shores of Lake Ontario. It is also next door to Fort Niagara State Park - i enjoyed touring the Fort and there is a pool there.
I 2nd this recommendation.
4 mile creek NY state park is a nice location and in normal times a pretty easy access to the Canadian side.

If you are hikers you can hike the river on the NY side right up to the whirlpool and rapids just below the falls. You can sit on a rock and spit into the river rapids. You can't really do that on the Canadian side. Also a day trip for a ride in the Erie Canal is well worth it. Finally the generating station has a multi media visitor center that shows how they manage the water going over the falls to get best views during the day and best power generation at night.
So I'm saying Niagara Falls is pretty good from the NY side if you can't go into Canada.
Of course seeing both sides is ideal.
Good Luck!
Happy Trails!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:01 AM   #16

Years ago I crossed into Canada for a 4 month stay. I was pulling a pop up camper. I had a dog and a hunting rifle. I had requested all the documents I needed for both entering Canada and returning to the US and submitted them a few months before crossing. It held me up crossing into Canada for about an hour. Coming back into the USA took 4 hours.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
Years ago I crossed into Canada for a 4 month stay. I was pulling a pop up camper. I had a dog and a hunting rifle. I had requested all the documents I needed for both entering Canada and returning to the US and submitted them a few months before crossing. It held me up crossing into Canada for about an hour. Coming back into the USA took 4 hours.
If you stop at Customs and Border Patrol before leaving the US side and fill out a Form 4457 for your rifle you can cut a lot of time off the return. The CBP wants to make sure you are bringing the SAME firearm back that you left with, not trying to import a new one.

Form is good for multiple uses so keep it if you plan on going N. for another hunting trip.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer View Post
Not hard at all, go to CBS website and all the info of what is or is not allowed is there. Same as returning back, check the US customs website. There are restrictions on certain food items, liquor limits etc. My wife always has a list of fruits and vegetables which makes it easy when asked.

Do not bring firearms or any type of weapon across without proper documentation, you have to apply for a permit to take firearms or weapons across the border. Make sure you do not have any gun related stuff with you such as empty shell casings. No bear spray or pepper spray. Absolutely no marijuana or cannabis related products including topical type ointments etc., especially when returning to US.

Follow the rules posted, remove sunglasses, shut off engine and do not offer any information to officer other than the questions asked of you. Be polite and you will be on your way in minutes.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
Not hard at all, go to CBS website and all the info of what is or is not allowed is there. Same as returning back, check the US customs website. There are restrictions on certain food items, liquor limits etc. My wife always has a list of fruits and vegetables which makes it easy when asked.

Do not bring firearms or any type of weapon across without proper documentation, you have to apply for a permit to take firearms or weapons across the border. Make sure you do not have any gun related stuff with you such as empty shell casings. No bear spray or pepper spray. Absolutely no marijuana or cannabis related products including topical type ointments etc., especially when returning to US.

Follow the rules posted, remove sunglasses, shut off engine and do not offer any information to officer other than the questions asked of you. Be polite and you will be on your way in minutes.

You'd be amazed at how many questions they ask they already know the answer to. License plate readers and database access gives them a lot.

My late wife and I were crossing back into the US from Vancouver one day and back then the license numbers were entered manually (and maybe still are in some places). The agent made a mistake and naturally my answers didn't match. At least he went back and checked the license plate and his computer screen. All went well from there.

Totally agree, being polite is the only way to go when crossing borders. Worked great all through Europe as well as both US borders for me.

If you aren't polite the border agents certainly have the ability to keep you there until you become polite.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:26 PM   #20

We have dreams of RVing from NC to Canada (Niagra Falls, Toronto, Montreal, etc) as well as going to Alaska. So if I'm following this thread correctly, and assuming non-covid times, best/easiest to buy your produce and meats in Canada and finish them off/discard before returning to the states. And if you have a furry friend along, bring all the vaccination paper work. And lastly, easiest to leave the concealed carry at home unless you fill out the paperwork in advance.

Yes? Just trying to make crossing in and out easy.

Tags
canada