Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2015, 09:35 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Burning old cedar fence with 15 yr old stain at the trottage! Burns fast and noisy!!
I tried that with old stain soaked deck boards that were dry and cracked, sliced very easily for kindling but my wife thinks were are adding to global warming...sure was crackling and had some "pretty colours"...maybe she was onto something!

Kevin
__________________
new 2020 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 6.6L gas and 3.73
2009 F150 XLT crewcab 5.4L and 3.73
2010 Flagstaff 27 BHSS
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:58 AM   #42
Member
 
ontario_camper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 94
We will be at Bon Echo in 2 weeks and again for Thanksgiving. We will just buy our wood outside of the park. Guaranteed to have better wood this way.
ontario_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa Ontario Canada
Posts: 930
Purchase wood at the guy outside of bon echo... we purchase from him all the time about $35 for a quarter of a face cord
As for all you other posters that are thinking about cutting down trees and Ontario you will be receiving a $125 fine and probably expulsion from the park leave Ontario Parks the way you found them
__________________
2008 Nissan Frontier 4x4
2011 Rockwood A122
D-mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Halifax Nova Scotia Canada
Posts: 724
an old Boy Scout trick to start a fire without kindling!!!! Go to a local lumber store/CTC/etc and purchase a fireplace log.......Cut this up in pieces and take along with you......Put a piece under a piece of log and ignite.......You will have a fire in no time at all.....J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:41 AM   #45
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
an old Boy Scout trick to start a fire without kindling!!!! Go to a local lumber store/CTC/etc and purchase a fireplace log.......Cut this up in pieces and take along with you......Put a piece under a piece of log and ignite.......You will have a fire in no time at all.....J
I guess the Boy Scouts must be teaching different tricks now a days ???
LOL !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:03 AM   #46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Halifax Nova Scotia Canada
Posts: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I guess the Boy Scouts must be teaching different tricks now a days ???
LOL !!!

Just when there is no dry kindling available out in the woods...All our boys carry a survival kit out in the woods hiking etc and two of the items are ..1) waxed (water proof) wooden matches and ..2) a piece of fire starter wrapped in foil.....J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,961
I have a large box of wooden kitchen matches I bought last year,,,
Not a one of them will light,,, maybe the humidity got to them ???
They were in the garage !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:03 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Halifax Nova Scotia Canada
Posts: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I have a large box of wooden kitchen matches I bought last year,,,
Not a one of them will light,,, maybe the humidity got to them ???
They were in the garage !!!
Yipper!!!!

Get some para wax at groc store or use candle wax then dip or cover heads in the box...another boy scout trick!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10,708
Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenttotrailer View Post
I tried that with old stain soaked deck boards that were dry and cracked, sliced very easily for kindling but my wife thinks were are adding to global warming...sure was crackling and had some "pretty colours"...maybe she was onto something!

Kevin
The odd piece of pressure treated makes nice colours as well as the copper burns. I would never cook over it but it is in the pile it gets burned.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:35 AM   #50
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10,708
Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
Purchase wood at the guy outside of bon echo... we purchase from him all the time about $35 for a quarter of a face cord
As for all you other posters that are thinking about cutting down trees and Ontario you will be receiving a $125 fine and probably expulsion from the park leave Ontario Parks the way you found them
We bought wood there that lasted all summer! We had to bail on Bon Echo in June of 2014. No matter how big or smoky a fire the black flies and mosquitos were eating us and the dog alive.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 AM.