Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #1

Looking for Info on PEI?

Hi...

We recently joined this forum, and in my wandering about, I noticed that there were no posts to the thread on Prince Edward Island. I moved to PEI in 1972 from Wisconsin and have lived there ever since. I am currently retired, and my wife has recently achieved Permanent Resident status in Canada. We have a lake house in PEI where we spend 6-7 months, and we usually head for warmer climes in the American Southwest after Christmas.

If you are planning a trip to PEI or any of the Atlantic Provinces, please feel free to contact us...we'll try to steer you in the right direction!

Piscesman

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST"

Nights camped in 2011: 108
Nights camped in 2012: 41
piscesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:17 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum Thanks for your offer to help out .This is a very friendly forum .You can bet someone will ask for info on PEI so visit and post often with any question you may have also
Old 01-25-2010, 11:53 AM   #3

Weclome to the forums. Sorry to say it will be at least another 6 years (that's when I can retire) before we can get that far away from home. Until then post some pictures for us to dream about....
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #4

Just to follow up on my original post...here is my web album site that has pictures from all over (curiously, not a lot of PEI!) www.picasaweb.google.com/piscesman1946 and here is the URL for the official tourism website for PEI http://www.tourismpei.com/index.php3 which has many photos online. Be sure to request a copy of the free Visitors' Guide. Will give you something to dream about!

Old 01-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscesman View Post
Hi...

We recently joined this forum, and in my wandering about, I noticed that there were no posts to the thread on Prince Edward Island. I moved to PEI in 1972 from Wisconsin and have lived there ever since. I am currently retired, and my wife has recently achieved Permanent Resident status in Canada. We have a lake house in PEI where we spend 6-7 months, and we usually head for warmer climes in the American Southwest after Christmas.

If you are planning a trip to PEI or any of the Atlantic Provinces, please feel free to contact us...we'll try to steer you in the right direction!

Piscesman
We are from Ontario. We were in P.E.I. last summer. Had a blast, one on the best parts of our trip. 14 days, 5000 km. I've attached some pics, maybe you can guess where they are! Loved it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pei1.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	2100   Click image for larger version

Name:	pei2.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	2101   Click image for larger version

Name:	pei3.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	2102   Click image for larger version

Name:	pei4.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	2103  
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:49 PM   #6

Great pic, we have never been to Canada but would like very much to...Thanks.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:07 AM   #7

Awesome picture thanks for sharing
Old 01-27-2010, 11:41 PM   #8

Where were these photos taken?

OK...I'll take a shot!

1) Could be almost any beach shot at low tide...but I'll say the South Shore...maybe Lord Selkirk Park?
2) Tough...potato sack race...near Kensington?
3) Road to New Glasgow
4) Ferry to/from Nova Scotia

Glad you enjoyed your visit!!

Old 01-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #9

The first pic is near Southport Rv park, a beach we found wandering around. The second pic is at Anne of Green Gables (which the wife, kids and even I really enjoyed). The third pic is the road to the ferry, county road 23... The last picture is us on the ferry leaving Wood Islands to Nova Scotia.

Speaking of Southport Rv park You camp on the shoreline! That is the bridge to charlottetown

I'm sure we only saw 1/10th of anything... We can't wait to go back!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	southport.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	2104  
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:14 AM   #10

My wife and I are heading out for PEI this Saturday for a week. We will be staying at Vacationland. I do have a quick question maybe you can answer for me. Due to a mix up, we are not booked into our camp site until Sunday and we are thinking of driving over Saturday and perhaps camping out at a Walmart for the night then doing our shopping for food and stuff on Sunday rather than haull all the extra weight. My question is we are going to take the bridge across and we are wondering if there is any place close by around that area where we could add some water to our holding tank for the night for coffee in the morning and flushing washing up until we get to our site? Also, other than Walmart is there any other places maybe a little more appropriate to park overnight for free?
rockin'ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:18 AM   #11
The Old Man

Love PEI...one of the beauty spots of North America and a great place to camp. For RVs there are some permit issues concerning LP gas and the ferry that you must allow time for inspection. And, oh, the islanders love you so much that you can ferry over for free, but will charge you a few hundred bucks to get OFF the island.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:39 AM   #12

We always advise people to take the boat to PEI and the bridge to leave. cheaper that way.
2011 6.7 Ford 1 Ton Dually
https://snowyowl.smugmug.com/
Snowyowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:03 AM   #13

We went over to PEI twice this summer, the first time we took the bridge there and back and then the ferry both ways the second time. The ferry was more expensive but cut a lot of distance off the trip as we are in Halifax. I think the difference in distance for us and the extra gas to go the bridge way probably offset the difference in cost for the ferry. Plus at the time we had my father along as well so the break to get out and move around was nice as well.

As for the hassle of pulling a trailer, all the did was give me a tag for the propane tanks and told me to make sure the valves were closed( I never travel with them open anyway). I did not see anyone check them before or after we were on the boat.

The nice thing about having a bigger trailer too is that they put you on the lower deck with the big trucks, this means that unless there is a really big line of trucks and trailers you are on and off the ferry rather quickly.
When we took the ferry, I timed it for the schedule and arrived about 15 minutes before departure and we just had enough time to take the dogs for a little walk, on the way back we did not even have time to get out of the truck until we were on board. And we did not even have a reservation.
rockin'ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #14

Good way to do things. We live much closer to the ferry than to the bridge so if we are going towards Halifax we always take the boat. Catching an early boat and having breakfast on board is tradition. I agree that the saving in gas makes up for the extra cost. Going to NB, Ontario or Florida it is cheaper and quicker to take the bridge.
2011 6.7 Ford 1 Ton Dually
https://snowyowl.smugmug.com/
Snowyowl is offline   Reply With Quote