Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2018, 07:55 AM   #1

Ontario campgrounds

Wondering if anyone has any input as to a nice private campground in Ontario we are looking for something close to a nice lake to swim in looking for end of August and will have a 25 foot mini lite as well as 3 tents. Looking for something within an hour and a half drive from Newmarket area. Seems like all the provincial Parks are booked ugh !
Ontario camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
Misfit Adventures

What about St Lawrence Parks? Beautiful views of the St Lawrence river upper canada village to stop at . We stayed at Farran park May 18-12/ 2018 very nice park few full service sites nice quiet tons of room.
Misfit011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:06 AM   #3

Have you tried Bass Lake PP outside of Orillia? I see they have sites available the end of August. It's a nice park with a great beach.

Sorry, no help on private parks.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I like Camper's Cove down here, but it's outside your 1.5 hour radius:

https://www.camperscove.ca
Old 06-04-2018, 01:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I like Camper's Cove down here, but it's outside your 1.5 hour radius:

https://www.camperscove.ca

Sorry to hijack, but Kaadk, do you know of any campgrounds of any sort near Amherstberg? I can only find Willowood and it was really not my thing last time... it’s for an event so Campers Cove is a bit far...
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Well, obviously Willowood would be right in Amherstburg, but I've heard it's really gone downhill since being a Jellystone, and it wasn't that great of a Jellystone to begin with. Did the first trip with our TT there 5 years ago.

Nearby is Wildwood Golf and RV. Clean park, but too stuck-up for my taste. For example, the pool is for seasonal residents only, transients not allowed. One thing it does have going for it is their transient sites were facing pull-throughs. If you're travelling with a friend, you can share a campsite. The downside is, if you're not travelling with a friend, you share a campsite.

I haven't done Winsdor Campground yet (the old KOA), so no opinion there. DW's heard enough stories though to not be willing to try it out.

After that, you start getting a lot farther out of the area. Next closest one would probably be Pleasant Valley Campground, near Kingsville:

Home - Pleasant Valley Campground

It doesn't show up on a lot of the sites like allstays or rvparkreviews, so it's hard to come by. Older park, but again clean and decent. I'd be willing to stay again but DW's still in the searching new parks mode.

And since I've gone this far, might was well run down the rest of Essex County and nearby:

Rochester Place: Haven't Stayed at yet.

Leisure Lake: Nice place, clean, would stay again. Beware of their 'pull-through' sites, there's no room to manoeuvre your rig 'through' just the tow vehicle. You have to back out of the site when leaving.

Sturgeon Woods: Nice pool setup, but a real lack of parental control of the kids on site has turned me off returning. I shouldn't be seeing 5 and 6 year olds out by themselves at 11:00 at night running in front of my truck.

Holiday Harbour: Another one that doesn't show up on a lot of the search sites, small park, older, and about 1/2 is mobile homes, but the transient sites (non sewered) are right on the beach, which is a plus. Clean enough that I'd be willing to stay again, but being on a beach, there is a lot of sand to deal with. The dump station is a little odd though with you pointing down a dead-end road. You'd have to back out of it.

Camper's Cove: Older Park, very clean, very friendly, no pool, but it's right on the lake so you can go in the water there if you wish. It's well treed so it's got a bit more of a 'camping' feel to it than some of the open field type parks. We usually do trips here twice a year. I'll open in the beginning of May, and we have an annual site on their halloween weekend in September. If I ever go seasonal, this one's the one that's high on the list.

And then finally, one that I'm not sure if it qualifies for a campsite or not:

Holiday Beach Conservation Area: They list it has having seasonal sites, but there seems to be no information about camping. I've camped there in tents way back in high school days with the Venturers (teen-aged scouts), but it doesn't seem like there's a way to camp there now unless you were one of the grandfathered seasonal sites.

Hope this helps,

Mike
Old 06-04-2018, 08:10 PM   #7

Ontario campgrounds

Quote:
Well, obviously Willowood would be right in Amherstburg, but I've heard it's really gone downhill since being a Jellystone, and it wasn't that great of a Jellystone to begin with. Did the first trip with our TT there 5 years ago.

Nearby is Wildwood Golf and RV. Clean park, but too stuck-up for my taste. For example, the pool is for seasonal residents only, transients not allowed. One thing it does have going for it is their transient sites were facing pull-throughs. If you're travelling with a friend, you can share a campsite. The downside is, if you're not travelling with a friend, you share a campsite.

I haven't done Winsdor Campground yet (the old KOA), so no opinion there. DW's heard enough stories though to not be willing to try it out.

After that, you start getting a lot farther out of the area. Next closest one would probably be Pleasant Valley Campground, near Kingsville:

It doesn't show up on a lot of the sites like allstays or rvparkreviews, so it's hard to come by. Older park, but again clean and decent. I'd be willing to stay again but DW's still in the searching new parks mode.

And since I've gone this far, might was well run down the rest of Essex County and nearby:

Rochester Place: Haven't Stayed at yet.

Leisure Lake: Nice place, clean, would stay again. Beware of their 'pull-through' sites, there's no room to manoeuvre your rig 'through' just the tow vehicle. You have to back out of the site when leaving.

Sturgeon Woods: Nice pool setup, but a real lack of parental control of the kids on site has turned me off returning. I shouldn't be seeing 5 and 6 year olds out by themselves at 11:00 at night running in front of my truck.

Holiday Harbour: Another one that doesn't show up on a lot of the search sites, small park, older, and about 1/2 is mobile homes, but the transient sites (non sewered) are right on the beach, which is a plus. Clean enough that I'd be willing to stay again, but being on a beach, there is a lot of sand to deal with. The dump station is a little odd though with you pointing down a dead-end road. You'd have to back out of it.

Camper's Cove: Older Park, very clean, very friendly, no pool, but it's right on the lake so you can go in the water there if you wish. It's well treed so it's got a bit more of a 'camping' feel to it than some of the open field type parks. We usually do trips here twice a year. I'll open in the beginning of May, and we have an annual site on their halloween weekend in September. If I ever go seasonal, this one's the one that's high on the list.

And then finally, one that I'm not sure if it qualifies for a campsite or not:

Holiday Beach Conservation Area: They list it has having seasonal sites, but there seems to be no information about camping. I've camped there in tents way back in high school days with the Venturers (teen-aged scouts), but it doesn't seem like there's a way to camp there now unless you were one of the grandfathered seasonal sites.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Thanks for the reply!
I don’t think Holiday Beach is doing transient right now. I just want somewhere quiet to crash with my dogs after a busy day at the woofaroo event. Doesn’t have to be fancy, I actually prefer more basic.
I stayed at willowood a few years ago and it was “Halloween in August” weekend.
So. Many. Children.
I try very hard and usually succeed in keeping my dogs quiet, but that many sugar-hyper kids made it really tough as I ended up hiding in my trailer all night...
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:09 PM   #8

Quote:

Mike
Mike,

Thanks for these suggestions. I too have been looking for ON locations but for a few days in late June - just depends on the journey from AB and the availability of suitable locations in MI and WI.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg