Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2018, 11:37 AM   #1

Ontario, North Central

Sault Ste Marie (KOA) and Lake Superior, Wakami Lake, Chutes and Fairbank Lake Provincial Parks

In 2018 Sindee, Ranger and I continued our exploration of Northern Ontario. We revisited the Sault and Lake Superior Provincial Park before heading east to parts unknown in our 17 Ram CopperHead and Flagstaff 26RBWS.

This is a vast province, with many areas that have never been visited by the majority of Ontarians. Some parts, like Wakami Lake Provincial Park, are relatively unserviced; theres no cell coverage, no hydro at the sites, and the closest store is an hours drive. But this remoteness brought peace and reminded us that nothing helps recharge the soul quite like being off the grid and enjoying the solitude of a quiet lake and star-filled sky.

The weather in 2018 was fantastic - sunny and warm. It made for great swimming but unfortunately it also led to very dry conditions and the issuance of a fire ban for most of the trip.

We've just posted a video of the trip here:

Some of the highlights of the trip include a visit to Sault Ste. Marie's Bush Plane Museum, and camping at Lake Superior and Wakami Lake Provincial Parks. BTW: if you're dining out in the Sault we highly recommend Quattro (steak), The Burger Don and Fratellis (pizza) restaurants. The latter actually delivered to our site at the KOA.

If visiting this part of the province is of interest, hopefully the video will provide some insights into what you can expect.
Blue Ox SwayPro
True North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:15 PM   #2

Very nice.
I've not been to Wakimi and wondered what it was like.....very peaceful by the looks of it.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #3

I can't imagine swimming in any lake in that area, ever! We spend our Summers in Cedarville, MI, UP, (May thru October) on Lake Huron about 34 miles due south of Sault St. Marie. I do see a few people putting their toes in the water but not many. This past Summer I did see two jet skies in Lake Huron, only two.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:11 AM   #4

That's because you're from Texas.....anything less than 85 degrees F is cold

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:16 PM   #5

whj,

I admit I wasnt brave enough to face Superior, it was frigid, but Sindee showed me up and took a quick dip. The smaller lakes, like Wakami and Fairbank though, warmed up quite a bit and made for good swimming.
Blue Ox SwayPro
Old 11-16-2018, 10:42 PM   #6

The lady who took my job when I retired in September 1st 2016 is from Ontario now living in Texas. When she goes home to visit her parents and in-laws her boys water ski in those shallow lakes. She tells me that it is refreshing.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:49 PM   #7

Yeah, we use that word alot to describe our swimming. Too true!
Blue Ox SwayPro
Old 11-16-2018, 11:04 PM   #8
I'm Lost

Hi Terry, Cindy & Ranger

I absolutely agree with you on Northern Ontario!

For 25 years I drove and flew (Cessna 206 on floats) across it doing field service work at all the cities right out to Thunder Bay.

Unfortunately I've been stuck at work in an Algonquin Park resort for the last 15 years (April to December) so have only been able to visit the North Bay to Cochrane corridor for a few days each September. We do travel to Sudbury and the Soo for a couple of weeks each winter via Airbnb.

I know Bob's Esso too, it's in Spanish
I am very envious of your trip.

The Bushplane museum should be on everyone's trip list, lot's of hands on stuff there!

Does the Agawa Gift shop still have the weather forecasting rock? I am happy to see they've improved the Logging Exhibit in Wakami, I don't know if you're aware it is one of three Logging Exhibits in Provincial Parks, the others being in Marten River PP (north of North Bay) and Algonquin. On my last visit to Wakami (25 yrs) they had a very sad looking Alligator, is it still there, has it been rebuilt as the park hoped it would be?

And of course Science North, I remember driving by it in the 80's while they were building that giant snowflake!

Thanks for posting part of your trip, I hope more pictures are to come.
A fabulous video of your trip.

Geoff & Francesca
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:57 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Great Video! Thank you for sharing. We did the Superior loop this year. Great trip.
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:26 AM   #10

Superior provincial park is amazing. Beautiful views and great hiking I have stopped and swam at Pancake Bay many many times while driving across Ontario. Thanks for posting this video.
H20loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:29 AM   #11

I hope to get up that way next year!
Btw, what is that song on the video? I can’t get it out of my head but I can’t put my finger on what it is!
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:05 PM   #12

Jason Mraz
H20loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:16 PM   #13

Yup, Jaso Mraz - Im Yours.
Blue Ox SwayPro
Old 11-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabakami View Post
Hi Terry, Cindy & Ranger

I absolutely agree with you on Northern Ontario!

For 25 years I drove and flew (Cessna 206 on floats) across it doing field service work at all the cities right out to Thunder Bay.

Unfortunately I've been stuck at work in an Algonquin Park resort for the last 15 years (April to December) so have only been able to visit the North Bay to Cochrane corridor for a few days each September. We do travel to Sudbury and the Soo for a couple of weeks each winter via Airbnb.

I know Bob's Esso too, it's in Spanish
I am very envious of your trip.

The Bushplane museum should be on everyone's trip list, lot's of hands on stuff there!

Does the Agawa Gift shop still have the weather forecasting rock? I am happy to see they've improved the Logging Exhibit in Wakami, I don't know if you're aware it is one of three Logging Exhibits in Provincial Parks, the others being in Marten River PP (north of North Bay) and Algonquin. On my last visit to Wakami (25 yrs) they had a very sad looking Alligator, is it still there, has it been rebuilt as the park hoped it would be?

And of course Science North, I remember driving by it in the 80's while they were building that giant snowflake!

Thanks for posting part of your trip, I hope more pictures are to come.
A fabulous video of your trip.

Geoff & Francesca

Thanks Geoff and Francesca,

Yes, the Agawa Craft and camper store still has the weather forecasting rock and attendants still pump gas and check your oil and washer fluid at the 2 Esso pumps - its rather like stepping back in time. But be aware, the Agawa Craft/Camper store was for sale in July when we were there and they said if no buyer was found, it would not be open in 2019. That would be a shame.
Blue Ox SwayPro
Old 11-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
Thanks Geoff and Francesca,

Yes, the Agawa Craft and camper store still has the weather forecasting rock and attendants still pump gas and check your oil and washer fluid at the 2 Esso pumps - its rather like stepping back in time. But be aware, the Agawa Craft/Camper store was for sale in July when we were there and they said if no buyer was found, it would not be open in 2019. That would be a shame.

Yea they where holding a closing sale when we went by there this summer. We will see next summer for sure if it's still there open or boarded up.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agawa bay, chutes, fairbank lake, koa, lake superior, onatario, provincial park, sault, sault ste marie, wakami lake