Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Denver, CO

Ontario trip

I'm planning a trip from Denver to Ontario around the end of September - early October, to attend (among other things) the bicentennial reenactment of the Battle of the Thames (Chatham/London area) (my wife's great great grandfather was there) and then maybe on to Toronto for a bit, or thereabouts.

I am seeking recommendation for a campground in the Thames area, and around Toronto and or whatever else in the way of recommendations. It's toward the end of the season, so I don't think it will be a big problem getting a reservation. I am looking at Rondeau Provincial park as one possibility, as it is close to the reenactment site.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Just so you know, Canadian Thanksgiving weekend is Oct. 12-14 and you will have difficulty getting a site that weekend without a reservation. I can't help you out on recommendations in the London area.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #3

I'm about a six hour drive east of the area but I have heard good things about the Pinery park. It's a bit north of London and I've been to it and a couple of other Provincial Parks in the area but only off season, not camping, just hiking.

Hopefully some folks in the London area can give you advice.

I just wanted to let you know that most campgrounds close up the day after Canadian Thanksgiving, which is Oct 14 this year. FYI we camped in Algonquin Park (two hours north of Toronto) to the day after Thanksgiving last year (Oct 8) and I was closing up while it was snowing. The last few nights were all slightly below freezing . Also that period from late Sept to Closing is REALLY popular due to "Fall Colors". Although probably not so much around London or Toronto, or Pinery park for that matter. But to the east and north expect "busloads" of folks on Fall Color tours.

Have a great trip and I hope you enjoy Ontario!

Fred

2012 Rockwood 2503S
fredm.seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Denver, CO

Thanks,

The reenactment is the Weekend of the 4th of October, so we should be ok if we don't linger...

I'm originally from Detroit and am WELL AWARE of the weather issues then. As well as here in Denver which experiences the same thing. Maybe we will head out there in mid September and catch the reenactment on the way back.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #5

If the War of 1812 is on your mind, you may enjoy a side trip to the Niagara Region. The two forts (Erie and George) have been beautifully restored plus there are several historical sites and museums pertaining to that conflict.
Also, Niagara is a really pretty area.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a link to the Ontario Parks site... Welcome to Ontario Parks

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Don View Post
If the War of 1812 is on your mind, you may enjoy a side trip to the Niagara Region. The two forts (Erie and George) have been beautifully restored plus there are several historical sites and museums pertaining to that conflict.
Also, Niagara is a really pretty area.
Yeah, good idea. Probably need to plan on that to. Need more vacation time..

I have a good friend in Rochester NY and want to get there to. Plus, My Mom's family was from Westport, Ont, and Plantangenet, Ont and that would be fun to visit also.

To many things to see, not enough time, Woe is me.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #8

100% you want the Pinery. I live about 20mins from the park, and I would choose it over most others within 4 hours. I would strongly recommend the "Dunes" area, as it is almost all sand with light ground cover, lots of forest creatures, great views and smells, quick walk to Lake Huron, lots of slow rivers meandering through park for light fishing. Also large lots, with flat ground in the sites.

Hope that helps!

Cheese
Mistacheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #9

Pinery is quite a distance ... And it is factory camping ... (Sorry Pinery lovers lol)

Cambridge which is around half an hour or so to London, maybe 45 minutes, has a conservation area, open year around (except December)

Valens Lake

You will need a reservation for Canadian thanksgiving .... This is a very nice place to stay
Old 03-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #10

Valens is Ok, yes. (As long as you don't mind the zero alcohol rule) It's also a 2+ hour drive away. Pinery is 1 hour, and Rondeau should only be about 30ish mins. If it was between Rondeau and Pinery, I'd prefer the latter. Nothing will compare to a Boondock campsite, if you like being off the grid, but Pinery will provide a darn close feel. Really, you can't go wrong where ever you end up!

Cheese
Old 03-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #11

FYI the reenactment happens at this Location;

14249-14431 Longwoods Rd, Thamesville, ON N0P 2K0, Canada

It's a really good time Garbonz, you'll enjoy it!

Cheese
Old 03-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #12

Oh, it is way to the west of London, Valens is far away indeed. Pinery is a better choice for sure.

P.S. For the record, I have nothing against Pinery I camped there a few times and it was ok.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #13
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistacheese View Post
FYI the reenactment happens at this Location;

14249-14431 Longwoods Rd, Thamesville, ON N0P 2K0, Canada

It's a really good time Garbonz, you'll enjoy it!

Cheese
We are REALLY looking forward to it.. When I was a kid, my family did a lot of boating (eg a floating RV) out of the Detroit area (Lake St Clair) and stayed several times in Chatham and Wallaceburg on the boat. What a great time for a preteen and early teen age kid.

Been boat and RV camping ever since.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #14

"My Mom's family was from Westport, Ont"

That's about 45 minutes north of home. If you haven't been there in a while the main street has become a bit of a go-to area on nice summer and fall days. Lots of maple and birch around there and a zillion little lakes so fall color is spectacular and there are some really scenic backroads. (but some with tight twists and not flat - so not well suited to towing bigger rigs through) And there is some good camping nearby. If your plans grow to include this area PM me and I can give you some camp and tour suggestions.

Fred

2012 Rockwood 2503S
fredm.seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #15

If you are going to make it as far east as Westport there are several CG along the St. Lawrence River both private and provincial. The KOA in Kingston is a nice place to stay and a visit to Fort Henry would be interesting. Our base is 1 hr away from Westport. There is a Provincial CG just east of Toronto and Rouge Valley Cg is on the border east border of Toronto. There is a nice CG about 1/2 hour away from Niagara Falls. It is Sherkston Shores, located on the shores of Lake Erie. This CG is close to the Welland Canal.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
DDC

Jefferson Junction Family Campground

4838 Switzer Dr, Appin, ON N0L 1A0, Canada
+1 519-289-2100

Oriole Park Resort
22790 Amiens, Komoka, ON N0L 1R0, Canada
+1 519-471-2720

Duttona Trailer Park
7728 Coyne, Dutton, ON N0L 2M0, Canada
+1 519-762-3643

Try these if you google the address it will show you how close you can get, I stayed at the first one a while ago as they were building it, if its still owned by the same people they are really nice. Hope this helps I live in the area so if you need any more info let me know.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #17
Denver, CO

Thanks to all,

I need to start the REAL process of laying this whole thing out and see what I really have time for..
Old 03-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #18

To backup what others have said.

I would recommend the Pinery 1000 %
yes I said 1000%
https://reservations.ontarioparks.com/Pinery
I camped there a lot as a teenager and still do in my 40's

I can also recommend Valens it is smaller but very nice.
https://secure.camis.com/HCA/ValensConservationArea
The DW and I, 4 or 5 other families camp there every Canadian Thanksgiving and listen to the coyotes howl all night long.

2020 Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Eco-Diesel
Previous Trailer -> 2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
-> 1996 Jayco 1207
Barney1 is offline   Reply With Quote