Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2016, 10:00 PM   #1

Pets across the border

As I read it I can take my dog to Canada as long as I have a rabies certificate.

Anyone have problems either crossing into Canada or back into the US with just a certificate?
GuppyWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:32 PM   #2

Pets across the border

As long as you have the original document of the Rabies vaccine and if its a 3 yr vaccine makes sure the vet certificate highlights. We've seen 3 yr vaccine and the vet certificate still reflects an annual vaccine. Also if the dog is still a puppy and is in between the 1st and 2nd vaccine you won't be allowed in as the they don't consider a puppy immune until the 2nd shot. Enjoy your trip to Canada.
Windmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:00 PM   #3

Your vet should be able to print out a complete vacination history for rufis.You should also have any documentaion showing licences. We cary all of that in the same envelope as our passports,truck/trailer registrations and insurance documents.You will need a canadian proof of insurance card that your agent can make. After going thru all of this You will likely be like us and nobody at the border will care,never ask for it,all they want is passports and drivers licence.

Comming back they never ask to see anything except where we lived.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:17 PM   #4

I have crossed the border into Canada 2 times, and once back into the US with my dog in my pickup. Just make sure vaccinations are current, and you can prove it. Not a big deal. It is easier than taking the same dog on the jet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-12-2016, 06:57 AM   #5

We have crossed the border several times with our Poodle. Have all her paperwork with us, but never been asked to show it.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:29 AM   #6

Pets across the border

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy1967 View Post
I have crossed the border into Canada 2 times, and once back into the US with my dog in my pickup. Just make sure vaccinations are current, and you can prove it. Not a big deal. It is easier than taking the same dog on the jet.

The bigger "issue" crossing the border is fruits, vegetables, alcohol, tobacco, and fireaarms, but I know those issues have been discussed at length in another thread.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 05-12-2016, 11:28 AM   #7

Been doing it 15 years never a problem as long as the dog food is US made and you have their papers I get her rabies shots in the US so everything is good
selkirk awards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:35 AM   #8

We cross twice a year (on way to and from Arizona) and we carry our dog's vaccination certificate with us. We are Canadian, but our dog is a rescue dog from Mesa, AZ. His certificates are from the Yuma Humane Society. We have never been asked to view certificates.
mcmilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:51 AM   #9

I always remember a very stern US border guard on one of our crossings into the USA. We have our dog's paperwork organized into a small passport type book. DH handed all 3 sets of paperwork over. Agent barked "what's this?" DH replied it's for the dog. Back came the bark "I don't do animals". I was awaiting redirection to a separate checkpoint. Nope - we were waived on our way. Guess he's not a fan. Others have met us with dog treats. Carry all the necessary paperwork and go with the flow.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:06 PM   #10

We crossed the border many times last summer with our two dogs. They never asked if we had pets with us. The best policy when crossing the border is to be polite, remove your sunglasses, answer only when spoken to and don't offer any info they do not request.
Hoffwmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffwmn View Post
We crossed the border many times last summer with our two dogs. They never asked if we had pets with us. The best policy when crossing the border is to be polite, remove your sunglasses, answer only when spoken to and don't offer any info they do not request.
x2
Old 05-12-2016, 04:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyWN View Post
As I read it I can take my dog to Canada as long as I have a rabies certificate.

Anyone have problems either crossing into Canada or back into the US with just a certificate?
All shots have to be up to date. Get a letter from your vet saying in case they ask.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:01 PM   #13

Your vet can supply you with a pet health certificate, which has all of the information you may need. That being said, when we took our 3 dogs to Canada they only asked about rabies vaccinations. Returning to the US - they wanted to see our rabies certificates.

had a 2015 Rockwood 8281 WS - traded for another brand.
2016 RAM 3500
DNBINFV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:01 PM   #14

In addition to the fruits, vegetables etc. mentioned in a previous post, don't try to cross back into the US with even a single stick of firewood. Buddy of mine got turned back into Canada for 4 pieces of split wood in his pick up bed.