Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 10:39 PM   #21

So let yourself get bitten by a mean Pomeranian/Chihuahua and then by a pitbull and let us know the outcome
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Then why no ban on Great Danes, Mastiff's, St Bernards.

My Vet said he had been bitten more times by small breeds, namely Pomeranian and Pekingese than by Pit Bulls.

With Pit Bulls it's more a problem with the owner than the breed. Then again, the same can be said for any breed of dog that has an irresponsible owner.

When you look int most laws banning something it's usually due to a lack of responsibility or zero common sense. And life goes on.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply
Old 12-16-2019, 10:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
We have considered DNA testing for our kids, but or Vet has said he’s seen results stating a dog was x breed and said just looking at the dog it wasn’t remotely possible to be that breed. So as a Vet yourself, you say differently? You find the Wisdom kit accurate?

I’ve done Wisdom Panel on 2 of my dogs and feel that the results were logical and believable. And the health one mentioned tests for quite a few disease markers, as well as mdr1, a relatively common mutation that can cause dangerous reactions to certain widely used drugs. It’s most often seen in herding breeds. I suspected I would find herding breeds in mine and yes both had sheltie but neither had the mutation.
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply
Old 12-16-2019, 11:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffywhitedogs View Post
I’ve done Wisdom Panel on 2 of my dogs and feel that the results were logical and believable. And the health one mentioned tests for quite a few disease markers, as well as mdr1, a relatively common mutation that can cause dangerous reactions to certain widely used drugs. It’s most often seen in herding breeds. I suspected I would find herding breeds in mine and yes both had sheltie but neither had the mutation.

Thank you.
Just spent the day at Auburn Veterinary hospital for a surgical work up for a TPLO. Also discovered our boy has some significant hip issues that had not been detected thus far. I think I’ll spring for the test, I mean what’s another 150 on 4500 bucks.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:04 AM   #24

Dna testing

Quote:
We have considered DNA testing for our kids, but or Vet has said he’s seen results stating a dog was x breed and said just looking at the dog it wasn’t remotely possible to be that breed. So as a Vet yourself, you say differently? You find the Wisdom kit accurate?
Why test the kids?
amblt is offline   Reply
Old 12-17-2019, 02:15 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
So let yourself get bitten by a mean Pomeranian/Chihuahua and then by a pitbull and let us know the outcome
We had a Jack Russel x American Eskimo who was a wonderful dog, but did bite a couple of people. He had very strong jaws and did cause some bruising but luckily never broke the skin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120521-00023.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	220662  
amblt is offline   Reply
Old 12-17-2019, 02:58 AM   #26

Quote:
Thank you.
Just spent the day at Auburn Veterinary hospital for a surgical work up for a TPLO. Also discovered our boy has some significant hip issues that had not been detected thus far. I think I’ll spring for the test, I mean what’s another 150 on 4500 bucks.

Ouch
Good luck with the surgery!
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply
Old 12-17-2019, 04:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Then why no ban on Great Danes, Mastiff's, St Bernards.

My Vet said he had been bitten more times by small breeds, namely Pomeranian and Pekingese than by Pit Bulls.

With Pit Bulls it's more a problem with the owner than the breed. Then again, the same can be said for any breed of dog that has an irresponsible owner.

When you look int most laws banning something it's usually due to a lack of responsibility or zero common sense. And life goes on.
It doesn't matter if Pekingese, Poms or any other 2lb dog leads the bite stastics...they don't kill or send people to the hospital with life changing injuries.

And no, banning is about common sense and facts. You can stack up what your vet says and what anyone believes in their loving heart but it doesn't alter the facts happening in reality. Blame the results on the owner if it makes you feel better but that belief doesn't skew the results (facts) one tiny bit either.

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-st...statistics.php

Severe dog bite injury statistics (from the link)
Our data were consistent with others, in that an operative intervention was more than 3 times as likely to be associated with a pit bull injury than with any other breed.
Characteristics of 1616 Consecutive Dog Bite Injuries at a Single Institution, by by Golinko et al., Clinical Pediatrics, July 2016

Our data revealed that pit bull breeds were more than 2.5 times as likely as other breeds to bite in multiple anatomical locations.
Characteristics of 1616 Consecutive Dog Bite Injuries at a Single Institution, by by Golinko et al., Clinical Pediatrics, July 2016

Most alarming is the observation that when attacks come from unfamiliar dogs, the pit bull was responsible for 60% and 63% of all injuries and ocular injuries, respectively.
Ocular Trauma From Dog Bites: Characterization, Associations, and Treatment Patterns at a Regional Level I Trauma Center Over 11 Years, by Prendes et al., Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, June 2015

Of the more than 8 different breeds identified, one-third were caused by pit bull terriers and resulted in the highest rate of consultation (94%) and had 5 times the relative rate of surgical intervention.
Dog bites of the head and neck: an evaluation of a common pediatric trauma and associated treatment, by O'Brien et al., BS, American Journal of Otolaryngology, January–February, 2015

Unlike all other breeds, pit bull terriers were relatively more likely to attack an unknown individual (+31%), and without provocation (+48%).
Dog bites of the head and neck: an evaluation of a common pediatric trauma and associated treatment, by O'Brien et al., BS, American Journal of Otolaryngology, January–February, 2015

Although a number of dog breeds were identified, the largest group were pit bull terriers, whose resultant injuries were more severe and resulted from unprovoked, unknown dogs.

In this series, dogs causing the injury were overwhelmingly familiar with the patient: 53% of dogs belonged to the family ... In our series (as in Philadelphia), Pit bulls were most commonly responsible.
Morbidity of pediatric dog bites: A case series at a level one pediatric trauma center, by Garvey et al., Journal of Pediatric Surgery, February 2015

Attacks by pit bulls are associated with higher morbidity rates, higher hospital charges, and a higher risk of death than are attacks by other breeds of dogs.
Mortality, Mauling, and Maiming by Vicious Dogs, by Bini et al., Annals of Surgery, April 2011
Old 12-17-2019, 07:17 AM   #28

If reality was your basis, and you look at the results of years of canine fatality data....

What breed would you say is the most dangerous breed known to mankind?

Here is reality. You are not allowed to apply emotion or fantasy. Scroll down the years, look at the animals. If a pit bull ever showed up on my property I would shoot it dead as fast I could pull the trigger.

I have a buddy with a Pit. It has facially scarred 2 adults and 1 child.

I have an aunt with a Pit, it likes her....but it lives any outside time on a ridiculous huge chain that is not very long at all, and that is wrapped on a concrete filled steel pole in her yard and no humans are allowed near it. It is more dangerous than having a lion in the neighborhood.... Both people proclaim love of the dogs and talk about how great they are.... yet both admit that the dogs will kill you if given half a chance.

Facts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_..._United_States

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply
Old 12-17-2019, 08:26 AM   #29

99%

As I get ready to walk my 2 Saints at the dog park that I’ve been going to for at well over 15 years, ask 100 people what dog has caused them problems,, the answer will be from 99 out of a 100, the great wonderful loving pit. No one wants to hear how I really feel about the breed.
Studog is offline   Reply
Old 12-17-2019, 08:50 AM   #30

A Pom can't kill

It would be hard for a Pom to kill anyone. If I have one chewing on my leg and won't stop, I will be launching it like a football. I had a German Shepherd growing up. The family could do no harm in the dog's eyes. He would not tolerate anyone else. Like a grumpy old man. He was born that way. He was big and if he attacked someone, you could not have stopped him without shooting him. We did nothing to make him like that. It was his DNA or the personality of his breed. My Dad tried to train him to be a cow dog. It did not work, he did not have the DNA.
flipper2 is offline   Reply
Old 12-17-2019, 09:10 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by amblt View Post
Why test the kids?

Answered in post 24
Old 12-17-2019, 09:34 AM   #32

It's also a fact that a lot of mutt dogs are generalized into the pit bull category. So, if a boxer/weimaraner mix attacks someone, a pit did it.

It has been this way for years. This skews the statistics....

Rich

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply
Old 12-17-2019, 09:43 AM   #33

I would imagine a law like this is only enforced if the Pitbull has behavior problems that generate calls from concerned citizens to LEO's and animal control.
Docile, friendly and well mannered dogs are no doubt given a conditional pass.
Odd how the law doesn't allow a Pitbull owner the option to export the dog out of Ontario to prevent euthanasia.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:44 AM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
It's also a fact that a lot of mutt dogs are generalized into the pit bull category. So, if a boxer/weimaraner mix attacks someone, a pit did it.

Rich
Thanks for this.
Do you have a link to corroborate this "fact"?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply
Old 12-17-2019, 11:00 AM   #35
Site Team

Actually, there isn't an AKC recognized breed with the name of "pit bull". It's a general designation for a number of different breeds.

There's the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier and the American Bully (a.k.a. "bulldog").

It is true that many dogs get mis-labeled as pit-bulls when they are actually some other breed or mix of breeds.

https://www.today.com/pets/what-pit-...-breed-t118066

https://www.vetmed.ufl.edu/2016/02/1...-as-pit-bulls/

https://www.pitbullinfo.org/pit-bull...-pictures.html
Iwritecode is online now   Reply
Old 12-17-2019, 11:26 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Thanks for this.
Do you have a link to corroborate this "fact"?
You're very welcome.

Check out the links in Iwritecode's reply (above) to learn the "facts".

Rich

Old 12-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
See Iwritecode's reply to peruse the "facts".

Rich
Many thanks to Iwritecode.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply
Old 12-17-2019, 11:43 AM   #38

My bride is an insurance agent representing 25+ different carriers. There are questions on the applications regarding dogs and most consider the following breeds aggressive:
1) Pit bull
2) Doberman
3) Rottweiler
4) Great Dane
5) Shepherds

Although not on the aggressive breed list, chihuahuas cause the most dog claims accordingly to Travelers.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #39

Years ago, I was in the process of changing over home/auto insurance carriers. The agent asked me if we had any dogs.

At the time, we had an American Staffordshire Terrier that might lick you to death, that's about it. I don't think that the word "bite" was in her vocabulary. She loved everyone, even if she hadn't met them before.

When I told the agent what type of dog we had, he immediately told me that the conversation was over....that they would not insure us because of the breed of the dog.

So, I also dropped the auto portion of the deal, and just stayed with our 30-year insurance company.

Stereotyping dogs is just like stereotyping a specific group of people....

Amstaffs were one of the most popular household dogs back in the 1940's.

The Little Rascal's dog Petey was an Amstaff.

Rich

Old 12-17-2019, 02:45 PM   #40

Quote:

Rich

So all the other data with photos and statistics that take into account mixes is all skewed? All the photos of dogs that have killed just look like the type but its actually the mix in them? Is this what your saying? Do you really believe that this type of dog has a completely unearned reputation?

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-st...-2005-2017.php

-you believe all that data, all of those studies are skewed?

If you are right, its an amazing conspiracy against one type of dog...
Closed Thread

Tags
canada