Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 08:27 PM   #1

Pitbulls banned in Ontario, Canada

Not sure if anyone has posted this but I came across it while researching crossing the border with our pups.

"
Breed Specific Legislation

Province of Ontario

Ontario has an ugly Breed Specific Law that bans “pitbull-type” dogs from the province. Police and animal control officers can search for and seize any dog deemed to be a “pitbull-type” based on visual inspection.
If the dog is determined to be a “pitbull-type,” the dog is euthanized, though it may not have broken any other law. Here is a summary of the law from Ontario’s Ministry of the Attorney General.
"

From the Law: "
Importing Pit Bulls

• It is against the law to bring pit bulls into Ontario, even for a short visit.
  • There are no exceptions made for:
    • Tourists
    • People moving to Ontario, or
    • Military personnel being transferred to Ontario postings.
Windjammingnc is offline   Reply
Old 12-15-2019, 09:47 PM   #2

Pitbulls banned in Ontario, Canada

There’s a good chance the law will be repealed in the near future, but it is still in place for now [emoji20]
Enforcement is sporadic, I’d almost say nonexistent, but if getting turned away would ruin your whole trip, probably best not to include the province in your plans...
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply
Old 12-16-2019, 07:48 AM   #3

Being originally from Ontario, it was just surprising to read. We have plans in the near future to head there to visit family and have our two dogs (one 13 year old Whippet/Hound mix and a Mini Golden Retriever puppy) coming along for the trip.

The law doesn't affect us but still interesting to see.
Windjammingnc is offline   Reply
Old 12-16-2019, 09:31 AM   #4

All kinds of stupid laws on the books I see Canada is no different . Pit Bulls are some of the best dogs . mild tempered , loyal , timid dogs around . been bit by more spaniels, little yippy dogs, shepherds , never by a pit bull
MR.M is offline   Reply
Old 12-16-2019, 01:30 PM   #5
D W

Not to stray off-topic too much, but in the last 2-3 years more and more private RV Parks & Campgrounds are enacting breed specific bans. Has nothing to do with local laws, but it is driven by their insurance companies.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply
Old 12-16-2019, 01:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Not to stray off-topic too much, but in the last 2-3 years more and more private RV Parks & Campgrounds are enacting breed specific bans. Has nothing to do with local laws, but it is driven by their insurance companies.
maybe won't allow dogs at all soon wouldn't bother me a bit . By banning one type of dog that does not help them when other breeds bite as well . seems like not long ago it was a Brittney spaniel that had the most reported bites per dog breed .
MR.M is offline   Reply
Old 12-16-2019, 02:19 PM   #7

Other breeds do bite. I think the issue is the serious bodily injury or death that can be caused by some breeds.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply
Old 12-16-2019, 02:27 PM   #8

Stupid laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
All kinds of stupid laws on the books I see Canada is no different . Pit Bulls are some of the best dogs . mild tempered , loyal , timid dogs around . been bit by more spaniels, little yippy dogs, shepherds , never by a pit bull
The dog law is only one of a litany of ridiculous laws passed down from what could be described as a very puritan history. Things are changing slowly and for the better. We are still a wonderful area for visits in all seasons.

amblt is offline   Reply
Old 12-16-2019, 02:34 PM   #9

So number one for bites is the Golden Retriever (most often left unsupervised with kids & therefore plenty of nipping to redirect going on) while the other breeds are serious bites - jaw is designed for strength in closure (just like a gator) and hang on.

Would suggest people consider running the DNA on their dogs (I am biased to the Wisdom test kit - gives 144 markers for disease & I am currently medicating my dog to prevent blindness due to one of the genes he carries - not sure if it will work but has never been an option before). Have seen a lot of dogs that look like pitties not come back with a drop in their lineage and I would think that could be used in the court system.

Love that I get to work with MANY service dog pitties (wonder what Ontario could say about them? not sure about laws there on service animals) and more pits are being put to use as drug sniffing dogs in many enforcement agencies across the USA. Breed specific regulation is a joke; a bad dog is a bad dog and owners (& their insurance) should be held liable as needed.

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply
Old 12-16-2019, 02:48 PM   #10
D W

There is a world of difference between a "working dog" and a dog that is a mere pet. You can not compare the two.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply
Old 12-16-2019, 02:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
So number one for bites is the Golden Retriever (most often left unsupervised with kids & therefore plenty of nipping to redirect going on) while the other breeds are serious bites - jaw is designed for strength in closure (just like a gator) and hang on.

Would suggest people consider running the DNA on their dogs (I am biased to the Wisdom test kit - gives 144 markers for disease & I am currently medicating my dog to prevent blindness due to one of the genes he carries - not sure if it will work but has never been an option before). Have seen a lot of dogs that look like pitties not come back with a drop in their lineage and I would think that could be used in the court system.

Love that I get to work with MANY service dog pitties (wonder what Ontario could say about them? not sure about laws there on service animals) and more pits are being put to use as drug sniffing dogs in many enforcement agencies across the USA. Breed specific regulation is a joke; a bad dog is a bad dog and owners (& their insurance) should be held liable as needed.

We have considered DNA testing for our kids, but or Vet has said he’s seen results stating a dog was x breed and said just looking at the dog it wasn’t remotely possible to be that breed. So as a Vet yourself, you say differently? You find the Wisdom kit accurate?
Old 12-16-2019, 03:31 PM   #12

If you happen to be a fan of Judge Judy, you'll be familiar with the number of injury cases involving pitbulls.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply
Old 12-16-2019, 03:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Why is it that dog attacks are so often by pitbulls?
Bob Gowryluk is offline   Reply
Old 12-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #14
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post

DW is exactly correct. I work as a Loss Control Consultant/Risk Manager for major insurance underwriters. Apartments, playgrounds and RV Parks are all under the "Restricted Breed" clause. We currently ask about 11 specific breeds and if they are allowed in the property.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply
Old 12-16-2019, 03:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Newsoms View Post
Other breeds do bite. I think the issue is the serious bodily injury or death that can be caused by some breeds.
Exactly, other breeds may bite and back off but a Pitbull type breed will not, quit often resulting in serious injury.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:00 PM   #16

I am a Vet. that had a practice for 50 years.....my observation would be that the likely bites to be reported are those that are severe, so the pit type of dog may be over represented. Do not forget that some breeds have been developed (historically) to be guard or fighting dogs with powerful jaws and in some cases a propensity that they bite differently than other breeds. ie they bite and don't let go and shake their subject causing much more tissue damage than a dog that just bites and lets go....( I have to add a comment often seen on these pages....don't ask me how I know).
Old 12-16-2019, 04:04 PM   #17

Dogs bite, some dogs don't let go

I am a dog lover and owner, but the facts are that while pit bulls represent only about 7% of the dog population they are responsible for about 70% of dog bite fatalities. Hospital studies have shown that attacks by pit bulls are associated with higher hospital charges and higher risk of death than are attacks by other breeds of dogs. A 2018 Forbes article reported that the average cost of a dog bite related hospital stay was $18,200. A web search will bear out the statistics from many sources.
grafic is offline   Reply
Old 12-16-2019, 06:03 PM   #18
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybeck2018 View Post
DW is exactly correct. I work as a Loss Control Consultant/Risk Manager for major insurance underwriters. Apartments, playgrounds and RV Parks are all under the "Restricted Breed" clause. We currently ask about 11 specific breeds and if they are allowed in the property.
May I ask what those eleven breeds are? Is allowing one a disqualifying condition for underwriting?

Ray
Old 12-16-2019, 06:41 PM   #19

Way to many facts for folks to take up a defense for the Pit bull...

https://blog.dogsbite.org/2009/07/pi...across-us.html

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-st...-2011-2018.php

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-st...-2005-2017.php
Old 12-16-2019, 10:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Newsoms View Post
Then why no ban on Great Danes, Mastiff's, St Bernards.

My Vet said he had been bitten more times by small breeds, namely Pomeranian and Pekingese than by Pit Bulls.

With Pit Bulls it's more a problem with the owner than the breed. Then again, the same can be said for any breed of dog that has an irresponsible owner.

When you look int most laws banning something it's usually due to a lack of responsibility or zero common sense. And life goes on.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
canada