Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2024, 09:09 PM   #21

St. Martin's is a beautiful locale. Be sure to check out the Fundy Parkway. It offers jaw -dropping views from the motorways and walking paths.

Fundy National Park is nearby and worth a visit. Numerous choices for campgrounds from full service to backcountry. The fishing town of Alma next door to worth a visit.

Check out Hopewell Rocks and the the communities of St. Andrews and Saint John. Have fun!
dog rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 10:51 PM   #22

I can speak for BC as we have done more than 300 nights covering Vancouver Island and all major points south of Williams Lake. True, there are mountains and at some point you will likely have to go through one of the many passes. The highest is just over 5000 ft.

Lots of great country to see, especially if you like to get out and hike or get on the water. Provincial sites fill up extremely quick so reservations are a must. We reserve everything.

Also, fires are a real thing. With the snowpack being so light this year, I fear it will be another bad fire season. Drive BC and the BC wildfire app are must haves.
Stryker Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 09:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMan635 View Post
Hey Ken and Terry,

Now I have a road track and hope this little map can inspire other to visit Canada
Hi, We're new to RVs and still have lots to learn. Thanks for posting this question, I never thought of coming to this Forum to look for answers and options for travelling! We are from Eastern Canada, from the province of Quebec to be more specific and I got sad when I saw that you were not going to east coast Qc! ah ah ah! I know it's another stretch and not many options other than touring the full Gaspesie peninsula, but seeing the Perce rock once in your lifetime should be on your bucket list https://perce.info/en/ and the Forillon National Park https://parks.canada.ca/pn-np/qc/forillon is one of a kind too!

To answer your question about parks, there are 37 national parks and 10 national park reserves, all listed on federal website here: https://parks.canada.ca/pn-np

Each province also have its own list of parks, Quebec's national parks are listed here: https://www.sepaq.com/parcs-nationau...?language_id=1 (and hopefully all pages are available in English); Ontario's parks are here: https://www.ontarioparks.ca/en

That being said, I don't know if all parks offer camping sites, as I mentioned, we are still new to RVing.

Don't be afraid to visit the province of Quebec, the language should not be a barrier even if French is the main language used in Qc, most people are bilingual and ... friendly! Just try to avoid the July period, we have something called the ''construction holidays'' in Qc when a lot of people are taking their vacation (many of them being ''forced'' to given all construction projects (well, almost all) are stopped for 2 weeks. In 2024, the dates to avoid are July 19th to August 4th. Monday August 4th is also a stat day in all provinces, except in the province of Qc, be prepared for a busy weekend if you're in Canada in that period.
MimiCmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 07:16 PM   #24

East to west and north

We travelled to the Yukon in 2022 and we went the Yellowhead route or Hwy 16 from Winnipeg to Edmonton. Found this highway to be rough in areas with large pot holes (was lucky no damage to truck or trailer!) but also found gas stations seemed far and few between caused a bit of stress plus the head wind. Hwy 16 is a more scenic route i think than Hwy 1 (TransCanada). North from Edmonton to the Yukon is a nice paved 2 lane hwy, very scenic with lots of wildlife, getting gas was not an issue but a bit $$. Larid Hot Springs is a must stop and we camped at Coal River about 20 minutes north of the hot springs.

If you travel from Winnipeg to the East coast I would stay on the TransCanada Highway 17 (it changes hwy # at the Manitoba/Ontario border) Transport trucks head north in Hwy 11 as it is flatter but 17 is a pretty drive with towns every hour with full services. Only word of caution is gas up at Wawa, Ontario, its 2 hours to Sault St. Marie Ontario but very hilly and no services at all but lots of camping in various provincial parks.

If you want any further info on the Northern Ontario section let me know, we are in Thunder Bay, Ont.
Rickards Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 08:12 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
A lot depends on how you want to camp. We like Ontario Provencial Parks. We have done the Canadian side of Lake Huron and Lake Superior and I highly recommend both.

Crossing the boarder into another country is not hard if you understand the rules:
*The major is NO HAND GUNS! Any other weapons must be cleared with customs and their are forms you can find on-line.
*Alcohol and tabaco in small quantities is OK, more than a little will be taxed (check rules).
*Nothing with roots attached - going in/out of USA/Canada
Mostly be honest when crossing and worst case is they may confiscate you fruit. Be dishonest about weapons and you will need a Canadian Lawyer.

I have crossed many times (starting on my own at 16 driving to Pinery Park in Ontario) and never had an issue.
*OK when I was 18 I had long hair and an attitude and they spend an hour inspecting my car.
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 08:24 PM   #26
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickards Red View Post
We travelled to the Yukon in 2022 and we went the Yellowhead route or Hwy 16 from Winnipeg to Edmonton. Found this highway to be rough in areas with large pot holes (was lucky no damage to truck or trailer!) but also found gas stations seemed far and few between caused a bit of stress plus the head wind. Hwy 16 is a more scenic route i think than Hwy 1 (TransCanada). North from Edmonton to the Yukon is a nice paved 2 lane hwy, very scenic with lots of wildlife, getting gas was not an issue but a bit $$. Larid Hot Springs is a must stop and we camped at Coal River about 20 minutes north of the hot springs.

If you travel from Winnipeg to the East coast I would stay on the TransCanada Highway 17 (it changes hwy # at the Manitoba/Ontario border) Transport trucks head north in Hwy 11 as it is flatter but 17 is a pretty drive with towns every hour with full services. Only word of caution is gas up at Wawa, Ontario, its 2 hours to Sault St. Marie Ontario but very hilly and no services at all but lots of camping in various provincial parks.

If you want any further info on the Northern Ontario section let me know, we are in Thunder Bay, Ont.
Great input. Between your knowledge and detail of Northern Ontario, I’ve got all the rest of the province covered from Sault Ste Marie ……Windsor, North Bay, Ottawa, Cornwall, Toronto, Niagara Falls……I’ve got it covered.
I say, if they’re doing Ontario, we’ve got this one.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 09:32 PM   #27
Canuck Camper

Question about crossing the border. Has anyone used the Nexus lane while towing a travel trailer?

TruckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 06:30 PM   #28

traveling thru Canada

lots of good advice, I didnt see when you had planned to come, summer is real busy, reservations are best but there is lots of first come first serve, but in the Mountain parks you need to stop by 12 or 1 & weekends will be full. if you come up the Coq. you can connect to Hwy1 TCH, Mount Revelstoke Parks Canada, electrical available at Snowforest, nice campground, dump sites in town. If you head to Yoho, Lake Louise & Banff, again reservations, the first come campgrounds dont have services except potable water, but you cannot hook up to it, you need a jerry can, fill it & then pour into your tank. If you head north of Lake Louise on 93N, there is a lots of campgrounds, reserveable & first come. You can always stay at the Columbia Icefields parking lot, no facilities, you need to bring water. From there you can connect back up thru Jasper to Edmonton. NW Ontario, check these Prov. Parks, Rushing River ( Kenora), Kakabeka Falls & Sleeping Giant (Thunder Bay). Take the Lake Superior route, look up Agawa Bay Campground, Safe Travels, also when we travel across to BC we take all clothes from shorts to long underwear
Old 02-21-2024, 07:34 AM   #29

Wow Gorbur,

That is some in-depth information on CANADA. All very good thank you for sharing. This should be very helpful.

Tags
canada, question