Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2024, 10:12 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
DogMan635's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 263
Question for CANADA members in FRF.

We have been long time RV campers and travels throughout the USA and have never ventured into Canada or points South. I do have a friend I retired with who has a Earthromer and they made it as far south one can drive. We on the other hand enjoy touring as we follow our college sports teams around the USA.

But have for the last year been searching out locations in CANADA and wherever I see some fellow RV from Canada I check the location in USER CP and all have been from Vancouver or Onterio. Is there a website for Canada RV travelers that you know about? All I truly have is RvParky and as my wife is not big on Hill crossings I use flattestroute which I understand was created by Bicyclist who camp a ride on the North American roads. Being that we have a Class B find a lot of helpful tips and info at RvXplore.

Were asking for Canada trip information, traveler tips, best cross-country roadways in a 4 X 2. suggestions all welcome as mostly everything I've checked just seems to be all n the SOUTH EASTERN part of Canada. We welcome whatever you have that would be of help for Americans traveling canada. Thanks!
__________________
2021-MB Coachmen, Galleria, 3500XD, 3.0L Turbo Diesel, V6, 190HP, 4x2 Dual, High Top, Cargo Van with 24FL floor plan and Li3 providing us up to 10-hours battery life, 24' feet & 3" inches. Our motorhome we affectionately refer to as "GRETA" If we should cross RV paths, just call us H.L. & Jan,
DogMan635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 10:33 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,092
Hello there.

I’ll try my best to help you or anyone else with your questions. My travels in Canada have included Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. I’ve done extensive travelling by motorcycle and in the last dozen years by motorhome……both a 35’ Class A gas motorhome towing and now our 25’ Class C.

I’m here. Ask away. I assure you, if I don’t know, I’ll tell you that too.

BTW….We’ve crossed back and forth across the Canadian/American border more times than we can count….by car, motorcycle and motorhome, so we know what works best! Never had an issue.
__________________

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 11:59 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Toronto
Posts: 404
Ken and Terry have been out east . . . all very friendly and the people get friendlier the further east you go . . .


I've enjoyed the eastern provinces extensively, also out to Newfoundland (with the ferry) and the travels have been great. The provincial parks out there are in better shape than Ontario's. (We've had disappointing visits to Ontario Parks, not show stoppers, in recent years)

Quebec's culture is more energetic than Ontario's and they seem to be more into health and outdoors. Their 'National' parks are not to be confused with Canada's 'National' parks. Quebec's parks are well appointed and, so far, we have yet to visit a park that was disappointing.


The National Parks of Canada are also top of the line. We saw Kouchibouguac last year and the views and visit were awesome.

This year we're planning to visit Manitoba and that will be a first for us. Still in the planning and booking stage.
__________________
2012 Rockwood A122, 2017 2018 Kia Sorento 3.3 V6 AWD,
(2012 Subaru Forester with MT (gone to TV heaven))

Cheers and greetings from a Toronto Canuck
Brandoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 01:18 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
yukongold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Hello there.
I’ll try my best to help you or anyone else with your questions.
I don't intend to hijack DogMan's post, but since you generously offered help to "anyone" - - -

I have reservations in St. Martins, New Brunswick for ten days starting May 10th.
Any recommendations? Things to see/do. Things to avoid?
Will be crossing the border at Calais, Maine. Any tips?

I am also interested, like DogMan, in opinions on cross-Canada routes and good/best camping as we have not yet decided whether to continue our trip west thru Canada or to return to the U.S. and travel west thru the northern states.
__________________
2007 Sierra 2500HD Duramax | ECSB
2012 Rockwood Minilite 2104 - Purchased 08/2012 - Sold 07/2022
2022 SOB 29' 5th wheel - purchased 09/2022; 400w solar on roof; 150w suitcase kit; 206ah LiFePO4; 2k inverter; boondock ready

yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 01:48 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongold View Post
I don't intend to hijack DogMan's post, but since you generously offered help to "anyone" - - -

I have reservations in St. Martins, New Brunswick for ten days starting May 10th.
Any recommendations? Things to see/do. Things to avoid?
Will be crossing the border at Calais, Maine. Any tips?

I am also interested, like DogMan, in opinions on cross-Canada routes and good/best camping as we have not yet decided whether to continue our trip west thru Canada or to return to the U.S. and travel west thru the northern states.
Hello……Help desk here!

We stayed in St. Martins last August at Century Farm Campground. We loved it. See the link below and then my attached photos. If you stay 7 nights….the 7th is free. Absolutely incredible sights nearby. You can easily walk to restaurants, stores, grocery store and more. The St Martins Cave walks are amazing……and free!

If there’s more time for your visit, I can suggest lots aside from your Calais crossing and St Martins. We’ve crossed at Calais….just watch for overhead signs at customs for RV vehicles to help negotiate the lanes.

Century Farm Campground St. Martins New Brunswick CANADA Bay of Fundy

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractio...Brunswick.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7342.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	315.1 KB
ID:	296874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7341.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	296875  
__________________

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 02:53 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
yukongold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Hello……Help desk here!

We stayed in St. Martins last August at Century Farm Campground.
Great minds and all that . . .

Century Farm Campground is where our reservation is. Site #46.
__________________
2007 Sierra 2500HD Duramax | ECSB
2012 Rockwood Minilite 2104 - Purchased 08/2012 - Sold 07/2022
2022 SOB 29' 5th wheel - purchased 09/2022; 400w solar on roof; 150w suitcase kit; 206ah LiFePO4; 2k inverter; boondock ready

yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 02:57 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Posts: 73
I have to speak up for Western Canada, Alberta in specific.
Banff and Jasper being the most popular they sell themselves. But in my opinion It's the less traveled areas that are the gems. A few that come to mind are: Kananaskis, Waterton, Elk Island (National park), Big Horn, William Switzer PP, Cypress Hills. All a with a distinct flavour of Alberta. I would recommend: https://www.albertaparks.ca/ and the federal equivalent https://parks.canada.ca/voyage-travel as jumping off points to plan your trip. The provincial park system is good with an assortment of serviced and non-serviced parks and sites. That goes for the National Park system as well. Just keep in mind the popular areas book up quick.
The bulk of the province is flat, maybe not quite Kansas flat but flat. If you stay east of the continental divide (Alberta/BC border) I doubt any of the paved roads will give you a challenge. In fact, following the eastern slopes of the Rockies northward is probably the best way to see Alberta.
If I can help anyone further let me know and I'll do my best.
__________________
2023 F150 XLT Sport 4wd, S-cab, 3.5 EB, Max tow
2023 Rockwood MiniLite 2109S
gorbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 04:49 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Dayton Ohio
Posts: 3,536
Going to Canada remember it is another country. We have not been there is years, but little has changed. I have a friend married to a Canadian. They travel there several times a year.

You need passports. Be courteous. No trying to be funny about anything crossing the border.

Absolutely no guns.

They are particular about importing alcohol. We carry a bottle of gin and whiskey as well as a few beers and several bottles of wine. (Typically we travel for weeks at a time.) The limits are very small. The prices up there are much higher.

If “phydeaugh” is going with you make sure you have the vets papers with vaccines etc.

They are also concerned about fresh fruits and meat. Not sure about frozen. I have seen overflowing barrels of stuff at crossings.

Contact your credit card company and find out which ones do not have the up-charge for converting to Canadian money. Will save you money.

Businesses like to accept American money and give change in Canadian. And, give you a less than the best conversion rate. We just use the credit card.

Contact the cell phone company. We use Spectrum and have been happy traveling in Europe and South America. As we traveled they contacted us when we had service and what any roaming charges were involved.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 10:04 PM   #9
Kanadian Kamper
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Going to Canada remember it is another country. We have not been there is years, but little has changed. I have a friend married to a Canadian. They travel there several times a year.

You need passports. Be courteous. No trying to be funny about anything crossing the border.

Absolutely no guns.

They are particular about importing alcohol. We carry a bottle of gin and whiskey as well as a few beers and several bottles of wine. (Typically we travel for weeks at a time.) The limits are very small. The prices up there are much higher.

If “phydeaugh” is going with you make sure you have the vets papers with vaccines etc.

They are also concerned about fresh fruits and meat. Not sure about frozen. I have seen overflowing barrels of stuff at crossings.

Contact your credit card company and find out which ones do not have the up-charge for converting to Canadian money. Will save you money.

Businesses like to accept American money and give change in Canadian. And, give you a less than the best conversion rate. We just use the credit card.

Contact the cell phone company. We use Spectrum and have been happy traveling in Europe and South America. As we traveled they contacted us when we had service and what any roaming charges were involved.
I can’t add anything that isn’t mentioned above, other than, at the border crossings IN BOTH DIRECTIONS……

1. Watch for and obey the stop sign approaching the actual customs booth. Only one vehicle at a time past the stop sign.
2. Have your passports for all onboard, ready to hand the officer upon arrival. Even better if they don’t have to ask for them.
3. Remove your sunglasses…..they have been trained to watch your eyes for responses.
4. If your vehicle has tinted windows, lower the windows so they can see inside, and if you’re in a motorhome, have passenger(s) standing in view of the officer.

Answer all questions honestly and clearly…..no color commentary.

Enjoy. You got this!
__________________

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 10:12 PM   #10
Kanadian Kamper
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongold View Post
Great minds and all that . . .

Century Farm Campground is where our reservation is. Site #46.
We have a motorhome, and we were on site #47. Our front windshield gave us perfect viewing of the St Martins caves out our windshield across the bay.

BTW…..the absolute best lobster rolls are at Spinney’s Seafood Market.
An incredible grocery store just outside the campground at Hutteges General.
World famous clam chowder over at The Caves.

The St Martins caves are a long walk from the campground. I’d suggest you go mobile to get there, but at low tides……they’re amazing to explore.
__________________

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 07:54 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
DogMan635's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Hello there.

I’ll try my best to help you or anyone else with your questions. My travels in Canada have included Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. I’ve done extensive travelling by motorcycle and in the last dozen years by motorhome……both a 35’ Class A gas motorhome towing and now our 25’ Class C.

I’m here. Ask away. I assure you, if I don’t know, I’ll tell you that too.

BTW….We’ve crossed back and forth across the Canadian/American border more times than we can count….by car, motorcycle and motorhome, so we know what works best! Never had an issue.


Thanks Ken and Terry:

Yes, as I had highlighted above show again here but adding a few more points in my quest to set the compus for due NORTH.

Were asking for Canada trip information, traveler tips, best cross-country roadways in a 4 X 2. suggestions all welcome as mostly everything I've checked just seems to be all n the SOUTHEASTERN part of Canada. We welcome whatever you have that would be of help for Americans traveling Canada. Thanks!

Adding if you have websites for your National Parks, sights to see. Best roadways as we have low clearance and two-wheel drive, so we need safe traveling roadways. Websites like stated above in the first post. RV Parks for seniors, thing in Canada to see other than Nagar Falls. I do know that there are three roadways from the Western part of the USA jumping into Canada and head up to Alaska, (But in all of what is Alaska 99% is in the lower Southerner part of the state.) Canada to me is wide open and mostly I only see and her about the lower SE part of Canada.

Maybe even a Canada informational WESITE for ALL of Canada. Not just SE part of Canada?
__________________
2021-MB Coachmen, Galleria, 3500XD, 3.0L Turbo Diesel, V6, 190HP, 4x2 Dual, High Top, Cargo Van with 24FL floor plan and Li3 providing us up to 10-hours battery life, 24' feet & 3" inches. Our motorhome we affectionately refer to as "GRETA" If we should cross RV paths, just call us H.L. & Jan,
DogMan635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 08:10 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
DogMan635's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Going to Canada remember it is another country. We have not been there is years, but little has changed. I have a friend married to a Canadian. They travel there several times a year.

You need passports. Be courteous. No trying to be funny about anything crossing the border.

Absolutely no guns.

They are particular about importing alcohol. We carry a bottle of gin and whiskey as well as a few beers and several bottles of wine. (Typically we travel for weeks at a time.) The limits are very small. The prices up there are much higher.

If “phydeaugh” is going with you make sure you have the vets papers with vaccines etc.

They are also concerned about fresh fruits and meat. Not sure about frozen. I have seen overflowing barrels of stuff at crossings.

Contact your credit card company and find out which ones do not have the up-charge for converting to Canadian money. Will save you money.

Businesses like to accept American money and give change in Canadian. And, give you a less than the best conversion rate. We just use the credit card.

Contact the cell phone company. We use Spectrum and have been happy traveling in Europe and South America. As we traveled they contacted us when we had service and what any roaming charges were involved.
===================


Some wonderful feedback, and thanks tomkatb, As you can see I did highlight what looked good to us from your posts. I will need to find a storage lot in the USA to leave the weapons we used when going to the matches. Thanks, some interesting tips for us to now ponder.
__________________
2021-MB Coachmen, Galleria, 3500XD, 3.0L Turbo Diesel, V6, 190HP, 4x2 Dual, High Top, Cargo Van with 24FL floor plan and Li3 providing us up to 10-hours battery life, 24' feet & 3" inches. Our motorhome we affectionately refer to as "GRETA" If we should cross RV paths, just call us H.L. & Jan,
DogMan635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 09:44 AM   #13
Kanadian Kamper
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMan635 View Post


Thanks Ken and Terry:

Yes, as I had highlighted above show again here but adding a few more points in my quest to set the compus for due NORTH.

Were asking for Canada trip information, traveler tips, best cross-country roadways in a 4 X 2. suggestions all welcome as mostly everything I've checked just seems to be all n the SOUTHEASTERN part of Canada. We welcome whatever you have that would be of help for Americans traveling Canada. Thanks!

Adding if you have websites for your National Parks, sights to see. Best roadways as we have low clearance and two-wheel drive, so we need safe traveling roadways. Websites like stated above in the first post. RV Parks for seniors, thing in Canada to see other than Nagar Falls. I do know that there are three roadways from the Western part of the USA jumping into Canada and head up to Alaska, (But in all of what is Alaska 99% is in the lower Southerner part of the state.) Canada to me is wide open and mostly I only see and her about the lower SE part of Canada.

Maybe even a Canada informational WESITE for ALL of Canada. Not just SE part of Canada?
I am truly here to try and help you with your questions, however, Canada…..even across the middle…..is not much different than one would see if you travelled across the middle section of the continent. Flat, wide open, sparsely populated and kinda humdrum scenery. That said, the principal route that people travel coast to coast, is called the Trans Canada Highway. (TCH) It’s is a well paved highway…..sometimes 2 lanes, sometimes 4 or more lanes through bigger cities. It is easily found on good maps and may be marked with a Maple Leaf symbol on the actual highway that changes its number as it passes through each province. Restaurants, service stations and anything else will be available in relation to how close bigger towns are located…..but it’s not like the backside of the moon.

I’m still here to offer more info in the provinces I identified, and if Niagara Falls is on your bucket list (and it should be) it’s not just because I’m a Canadian, but we truly do offer the better points of view of all of the falls….Niagara, Angel Falls and the American falls. YOU GOTTA SEE THEM WITH THE NIGHT TIME LIGHTING.

A little trivia……almost 90% of the Canadian population is located within a couple hundred miles of the American border……but we don’t live in igloos.
__________________

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:34 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
DogMan635's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I am truly here to try and help you with your questions, however, Canada…..even across the middle…..is not much different than one would see if you travelled across the middle section of the continent. Flat, wide open, sparsely populated and kinda humdrum scenery. That said, the principal route that people travel coast to coast, is called the Trans Canada Highway. (TCH) It’s is a well paved highway…..sometimes 2 lanes, sometimes 4 or more lanes through bigger cities. It is easily found on good maps and may be marked with a Maple Leaf symbol on the actual highway that changes its number as it passes through each province. Restaurants, service stations and anything else will be available in relation to how close bigger towns are located…..but it’s not like the backside of the moon.

I’m still here to offer more info in the provinces I identified, and if Niagara Falls is on your bucket list (and it should be) it’s not just because I’m a Canadian, but we truly do offer the better points of view of all of the falls….Niagara, Angel Falls and the American falls. YOU GOTTA SEE THEM WITH THE NIGHT TIME LIGHTING.

A little trivia……almost 90% of the Canadian population is located within a couple hundred miles of the American border……but we don’t live in igloos.
Hey Ken and Terry,

Now I have a road track and hope this little map can inspire other to visit Canada
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canada.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	296952
__________________
2021-MB Coachmen, Galleria, 3500XD, 3.0L Turbo Diesel, V6, 190HP, 4x2 Dual, High Top, Cargo Van with 24FL floor plan and Li3 providing us up to 10-hours battery life, 24' feet & 3" inches. Our motorhome we affectionately refer to as "GRETA" If we should cross RV paths, just call us H.L. & Jan,
DogMan635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:59 PM   #15
Kanadian Kamper
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMan635 View Post
Hey Ken and Terry,

Now I have a road track and hope this little map can inspire other to visit Canada
Gorbur posted earlier that he’s better versed in Western Canada information. Check his post and contact him for that area.

As far as anywhere else on your map here…..ask away. How long are you in Ontario? Where exactly are you hoping to visit? What type of camping do you prefer….full service private or State Park-like settings….boondocking? Are you entering Canada from the West or East coast? Your map does follow good roads for your travels, and anywhere across the top of Lake Superior, Lake Huron and Georgian Bay covers some beautiful scenery.
__________________

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 07:50 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
DogMan635's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbur View Post
I have to speak up for Western Canada, Alberta in specific.
Banff and Jasper being the most popular they sell themselves. But in my opinion It's the less traveled areas that are the gems. A few that come to mind are: Kananaskis, Waterton, Elk Island (National park), Big Horn, William Switzer PP, Cypress Hills. All a with a distinct flavour of Alberta. I would recommend: https://www.albertaparks.ca/ and the federal equivalent https://parks.canada.ca/voyage-travel as jumping off points to plan your trip. The provincial park system is good with an assortment of serviced and non-serviced parks and sites. That goes for the National Park system as well. Just keep in mind the popular areas book up quick.
The bulk of the province is flat, maybe not quite Kansas flat but flat. If you stay east of the continental divide (Alberta/BC border) I doubt any of the paved roads will give you a challenge. In fact, following the eastern slopes of the Rockies northward is probably the best way to see Alberta.
If I can help anyone further let me know and I'll do my best.
###############
Gorbur,

Thanks so much for the LINKS as they have their own maps and very Indepth information. As you can see, I highlighted and created a little map for FORUM here above. But we do have a much larger one that were working here at home. In talking with KEN and TERRY, he suggested you would be a good source for the WESTERN areas of CANADA. You may soon see me back asking more questions as we are using "RvParky map" which shows us a lot of RV PARKS and campgrounds complete with the parks amenities, so I think with you both we have a good running start. Please check out the map ABOVE to see if there is anything you may have overlooked, I may have skipped over.

Thanks to you both Gorbur, Ken and Terry!
__________________
2021-MB Coachmen, Galleria, 3500XD, 3.0L Turbo Diesel, V6, 190HP, 4x2 Dual, High Top, Cargo Van with 24FL floor plan and Li3 providing us up to 10-hours battery life, 24' feet & 3" inches. Our motorhome we affectionately refer to as "GRETA" If we should cross RV paths, just call us H.L. & Jan,
DogMan635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 09:01 AM   #17
Kanadian Kamper
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMan635 View Post
###############
Gorbur,

Thanks so much for the LINKS as they have their own maps and very Indepth information. As you can see, I highlighted and created a little map for FORUM here above. But we do have a much larger one that were working here at home. In talking with KEN and TERRY, he suggested you would be a good source for the WESTERN areas of CANADA. You may soon see me back asking more questions as we are using "RvParky map" which shows us a lot of RV PARKS and campgrounds complete with the parks amenities, so I think with you both we have a good running start. Please check out the map ABOVE to see if there is anything you may have overlooked, I may have skipped over.

Thanks to you both Gorbur, Ken and Terry!
Hey…..because of a fantastic factual television series filmed out in British Columbia and Alberta…..you really should ask Gorbur if you can/should include a drive on the Coquihalla Highway as part of your travels. It’s definitely on my bucket list if I ever get out that way……as long as it’s not winter.

Don’t miss Lake Louise, and Banff either. They are the epitome of beautiful sights out West. I know that much!
__________________

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 09:37 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
DogMan635's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Hey…..because of a fantastic factual television series filmed out in British Columbia and Alberta…..you really should ask Gorbur if you can/should include a drive on the Coquihalla Highway as part of your travels. It’s definitely on my bucket list if I ever get out that way……as long as it’s not winter.

Don’t miss Lake Louise, and Banff either. They are the epitome of beautiful sights out West. I know that much!
Gorbur,

What are your thought's and if you have any links/information on "Coquihalla Highway" I'm using the MAP on RvParky as it shows roadways and nearby parks . But would enjoy some good Canada links? Thanks in-advance.

__________________
2021-MB Coachmen, Galleria, 3500XD, 3.0L Turbo Diesel, V6, 190HP, 4x2 Dual, High Top, Cargo Van with 24FL floor plan and Li3 providing us up to 10-hours battery life, 24' feet & 3" inches. Our motorhome we affectionately refer to as "GRETA" If we should cross RV paths, just call us H.L. & Jan,
DogMan635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 10:05 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
DogMan635's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 263
Click image for larger version

Name:	coquihalla Hwy004.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	296962

Looking good as I see coming out of the HILLS on hwy # 5 heading North. I may need to carry a 5 gals diesel can, but appears to be lots of camping sites. Thanks so much to everyone's help, in putting this trip together. Still, lots of work as it appears to be seen on maps. Heading over to Books a Million to pick up some Canada related road trips and general info.

__________________
2021-MB Coachmen, Galleria, 3500XD, 3.0L Turbo Diesel, V6, 190HP, 4x2 Dual, High Top, Cargo Van with 24FL floor plan and Li3 providing us up to 10-hours battery life, 24' feet & 3" inches. Our motorhome we affectionately refer to as "GRETA" If we should cross RV paths, just call us H.L. & Jan,
DogMan635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 12:42 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Posts: 73
Wow, lots to digest. I'll try and address the questions as best I can.
First off I'll add another link that might be of value. Its the province of BC's parks system https://bcparks.ca/ its the counterpart of Alberta's. All the provinces and territories have an equivalent and they're well worth consideration. Personally I prefer the government campsites versus private, and to date I've never been disappointed. The government sites are consistent, more spacious and usually centred in parks or recreation areas. Basically a quieter more pristine experience. The caveat being amenities like stores, restaurants, shore power etc. might not be as readably available. The Federal/Provincial system is akin to National/State parks. Again, I'll mention that the parks book up quickly. Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper are probably now near capacity for the upcoming peak season. Due to increase in popularity traffic is restricted to certain areas with shuttles only (Lake Louise). This is a good segue way to the destination options I mentioned. There less traveled but favourites with locals:
Kananaskis:
Its in close proximity to Calgary (west ~80 miles). I suggest this as it gets you into the mountains without navigating any steep roads. Its smooth paved 4/2 lane. all the way. It makes for a good jumping off point for lots of day adventures. For camping: https://www.mountkiddrv.com/ or the provincial park system https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/ka...askis-country/. It gets busy but not as much as Banff. From your original post It first came to mind.
Waterton:
South of Calgary 170 miles. Similar to Kananaskis. Giving you a mountain experience without any steep roads. Note: Via Hwy 5/6 Not via Hwy 6/17 which is a steeper albeit beautiful mountain pass. Waterton is more like Banff with lots of amenities. Close by or perhaps on the way there is Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump https://headsmashedin.ca/ . Waterton is in the federal system so, https://parks.canada.ca/pn-np/ab/waterton .
William Switzer and Big Horn:
More near mountain experiences dependant on what routes you plan on taking. If your open to boondocking these can be great options.
Elk Island and Cypress Hills:
Both representative of the different ecosystems within Alberta. Elk Island (federal) https://parks.canada.ca/pn-np/ab/elkisland is a good taste of a boreal forest and only 40 miles from Edmonton. If you like viewing wildlife you wont be disappointed. Cypress Hills (provincial) again dependant on what routes you take in and out.
A broader comment on the Coquahalla (hwy #5). Its a freeway intended to get people in and out of the lower mainland (Vancouver) area quickly. True its scenic, but still a transportation corridor and a mountain pass. Heres a link to a few web cams on #5 https://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwayc...l/www/161.html . Hwy #1 is still a viable option and worth considering.

Weather:
For most of BC/Alberta the camping season is May to early October. July-August being peak. This primarily due to the weather. Equal chance to see snow in Banff on May 24th as it is 70F and sunny. A very broad generalization is from Vancouver heading towards the prairies it gets progressively drier. That being said, June, Sept and October are less busier. Over the past years fall is almost preferred, fewer bugs and still decent temperatures. In 2023 Banff was seeing record highs.

Roads:
Above was the link to BC road reports. Here is Alberta's https://511.alberta.ca/ Its updated very frequently so a good resource while travelling. Web cams too. Road maintenance is a lot harder in northern climates with extended freeze thaw cycles. But the main routes are maintained well IMHO. The main routes you will take are just a non-issue. Being a short season you can have road repair delays but there minor. For services check https://www.gasbuddy.com/gasprices they have a cool routing tool that should give you an idea of the many gas stations available.

Hopefully I checked a few of the questions off and generated a few more. Later today I'll put together a route on the comment I made on seeing Alberta via the eastern slopes. If i read your later posts it appears that your ok with some "hills" ?
__________________
2023 F150 XLT Sport 4wd, S-cab, 3.5 EB, Max tow
2023 Rockwood MiniLite 2109S
gorbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
canada, question

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 AM.