Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #41

The one thing you will notice is the lack of rest stops that are common in the US. Typically, there are gas/fast food stops.

Otherwise, enjoy our great country......lots to see.

If your timing and route allow for it; you may want to stop at Killarney PP.......beautiful.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
There's fake beer?

you'll understand when you wet your lips with canadian beer.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #43
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post

you'll understand when you wet your lips with canadian beer.
Oh ok now I understand.

I'm still waiting for a quart of shine from another member as a sample. Ahem!

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #44
(Kim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJim View Post
We are considering a trip that could include some traveling in Canada . We will be pulling a 6500 lb TT with a 1/2 ton . Any laws and regulations I need to be made aware of ? We will probably cross into Canada in Quebec and exit Canada in Thunder Bay or International Falls . Don't know any thing about traveling in Canada much less any laws that may affect us and the towing of our camper ! Thanks Jim
As far as I am aware of, the MTO (Ontario Ministry of Transport) is mainly concerned with 2 things in regards to RV's:
1. That your trailer weight is within the tow ratings for your tow vehicle.
2. That the trailer has the proper braking capabilities.

They don't sit around waiting to pull TTs over, they are more concerned with transports, so you should be fine.

DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #45

Once you are successful in getting through the border crossing, things aren't terribly different than the US. You should read up on the various restrictions on things you can and can't take across the border. And it's different going into the US or going into Canada so stay on top of it.

If you have a dog, don't take dog food across the border. We took a baggie of it into the US once and got pulled over and given the 3rd degree under bright lights and all. Thought we were going to be sent to Guantanamo Bay... In the end though, they just gave us the baggie back and said don't do it again.

Regulations for fruit and veggies differ going each way so be vewy vewy careful. Even some canned goods are restricted, like some meat products. We have some friends who got nailed for taking an orange across. For those with Nexus cards, you can lose it for take banned food across. Most of our fruit in BC comes from California, but if you try and bring one piece of it back yourself, you are asking for big trouble. Best to just buy fruit and veggies after you cross the border then you don't have to worry at all.

Some agricultural products are restricted, but you probably won't be dealing with that.

Yup, leave your firearms and other weapons at home along with your pot and hard drugs and shark fins and similar banned animal parts.

Many provinces in Canada require propane tanks to be shut off while travelling or while on a ferry.

Not sure what alcohol restrictions are for entering Canada for a US citizen, so you should read up on those. It's very restricted on taking it back into Canada for us. It's so much cheaper in the US so don't be tempted to sneak some into Canada. Word on the street is that our Beer here is better. We have many, many wineries in Canada now but am not sure how much you can take back into the US. It sucks.

If anyone plans to cross the border much, A nexus card makes life so much easier. You can typically breeze through while the regular line-ups can be an hour or more long. Plus, they don't ask many questions, if any.

If you have satellite TV, see if you can find a new Canadian show called "Border Security". It's a reality show about border guards stopping people entering Canada and catching them for criminal backgrounds, smuggling weapons or drugs, banned animal parts, expired work permits, etc. Rather interesting, but have not seen an RV searched yet.

At the end of the day, it is YOUR responsibility to know the current laws and regulations going either way. They do change from time to time too. Don't always trust an answer from a border guard as they aren't 100% correct all the time (as we found out on the dog food thing.) Look it up on the internet and/or get pamphlets.

And there are some weird regulations sometimes. For eg., if you have a Nexus card, you are not allowed to take your RV into the US ahead of your wife and take her clothes along, with the plan of her to drive across separately later in the day. You are really going to get into trouble for this one. Not sure why though.

Tip of the day: For eating on the road, McDonalds food tastes better in Canada, especially the fries.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #46

Something else to bear in mind regarding alcohol:
If you want to pick up a case of beer or a bottle of wine or booze, the beer and liquor stores in most small towns in Ontario close at 6pm.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #47

Brewers Retail = Beer Store
LCBO (Liquor Control Bd of Ontario) = Hard liquor, wine, spirits and such. European import beer and some domestics as well. Some locations will be combined LCBO/Beer stores. Some small towns will have locally owned "outlets". All empties can be returned to the beer store for a small refund.

Canadian tire for basic RV repair stuff, Like wal-mart, but with ALOT more automotive stuff. Not much into groceries though.

Judge your distances between stops. Toronto to Thunder Bay in a day is doable, but it would be a "16hr drive" MINIMUM, longer with a tow rig. Allow 2 days to be manageable.

If your taking a pet, make sure you have proof of current vaccine shots.
No weapons, as previously mentioned.]

dodosmike
dodosmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodosmike View Post
Judge your distances between stops. Toronto to Thunder Bay in a day is doable, but it would be a "16hr drive" MINIMUM, longer with a tow rig. Allow 2 days to be manageable.
I've driven from Waterloo, ON (near Toronto) to Thunder Bay ON in a single day before. But I was younger, didn't have any demerit points yet, and certainly wasn't towing anything. Unless you're a transport driver, you're likely not going to want to go as far as that when you're on a camping trip. Keep in mind there's some long sections of lonely road north of Superior. And holy moly, there's some great parks between those places, enough for an entire season. I can't imagine blowing by all those places. Algonquin, Grundy Lake, Killarney, Awenda, and so many more. I know there's time limitations. One of my favorite drives in this Country along the shores of Superior. At least drive it in the day, don't blow past in the dark. Lot's of deer/moose danger at night anyway.

Near Thunder Bay is Sleeping Giant Pronvincial Park. Great park if you're going to stop near T.B.
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #49

Thanks for all the great info . No better way to plan a trip ! Thanks everyone ! Jim
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Looks like he's describing the Beer Stores in Ontario...only place to get beer in Ontario, other than imported beer at the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) stores.

Dave
Yes, that's exactly where it was.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #51
phat phrog stunt crew

There's fake beer?

i think they call it american beer
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #52

a little advice ..

all advice provided is good advice.
here are a few tips tho. Beer is much cheeper in Quebec than Ontario, so if you are close to the provincial boarder, save money and go to Quebec. Premium beers are also available in Ontario at the beer store, but willy nilly wierded out beers from micro breweries are only available in the LCBO.
Quebec will save you 20 dollars on a case of 24. so buy up when your there. Stella, Hina, and all other inmports are around 24 Canadian... in Ontario you are paying almost twice that.
Wine is expensive in Quebec .. cheeper and better selection in Ontario.
Canadians are a happy bunch .. we like to help. Provincial Police do not.
Dispite all the stuff about Quebecers, they are a happy bunch too .. and will happily help you with directions and issues. Just be patient with the language.
oh .. and one more thing ... Aviod Montreal/Toronto/Ottawa at high traffic times ... especially Montreal and Toronto ... lots of roadwork ...
Take in Quebec city ... and old montreal ... great restaurants .. with lots of culture .. and enjoy the beauty of the women ..in the province of Quebec ..

d-mo
Old 01-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #53

I didn't see if there were dates set yet or not, and I don't think anyone has mentioned the bugs.....which can be absolutely unbearable late spring/early summer in northern Ontario. Blackflies and Mosquitoes. There will always be bugs, but during the peak of the bug season it can drive you insane. If you must go during this time, take lots of DEET, and those bug nets that go over your head. I'd recommend going later in the summer if possible like August, which is the hardest time to find campsites, but for a reason.
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #54

Farmer Jim, If you have a cell phone make sure you check if your plan includes travel / calls made in Canada....most DON'T !
Most cell providers allow you to purchase this option and avoid roaming charges. Roaming fees are quite expensive !!!
Old 03-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #55

Farmer Jim

Farmer Jim, Check out the website :
Free Campsites
Another member told me about it and, it's GREAT !
Old 03-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #56
Wanna Be Camper

One more thing to check is your roadsdie assistance package whoever you have. With CAA we have a toll free number that we call and it works great in Canada from Canadian cell phones but in the US on the same phones it says number was dialed incorrectly. However a US cell phone can dial the number no problem at all, the issue I believe is the call is rerouted to AAA when it detects the calling area and canadian cell providers don't handle the transition well. (tried on Bell and Telus phones last summer)

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post

As a life long, beer guzzling Canadian, I have never heard tell of a a beer store like that. In Newfoundland, you can buy beer at any corner store, any day of the week. Nova Scotia, it's available at NSLC stores. And btw, its real beer.
I've seen stores like that in Ontario called "The Beer Store" where you order beer and it comes out on rollers on a track. You'd have to go to another store for wine liquor or mixed drinks. In New Brunswick (and Nova Scotia I believe) there are provincial liquor stores with beer, wine and drinks. More and more "local" convenience stores are carrying hard liquor and beer in rural areas. Most Irving's through Quebec sell beer right in the stores.
mudshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #58
Bass Player

Try to get to Eastern Canada, Nova Scotia in particular, the Cabot Trail is breathtaking.

Gary & Debbie
garychew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #59

Quote:
Try to get to Eastern Canada, Nova Scotia in particular, the Cabot Trail is breathtaking.
I agree with you Gary. I see you are from Sydney, did any of your family live in Glace Bay. There use to be a family with the last name of Chew that lived beside my grandmother.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #60
Bass Player

Yup, my dad ran a business, Freddies service station on Union St for 45 years, we used to live on Victoria St. My uncle also lived on Victoria St, he was a lawyer in town..
2008 Harley Heritage Classic
Sydney , NS, Canada
garychew is offline   Reply With Quote