Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2022, 06:25 AM   #1

Travel to Canada with pet lizard

My family and I will be travelling to PEI Canada next month. Our son has 2 lizards that we we're planning to bring with us. I cannot, for the life of me, find any concrete information as to whether or not we can bring them across the border. A google search says "yes", but Canada's website says no. Their site is horrible to navigate (too many linked pages) for me to determine if I'm even on the correct page.
Has anyone else travelled to Canada with a pet lizard (or 2)? Did you need any special paperwork or permits?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Eric
hinkle_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 07:00 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

I have no idea, but I did find this.
If it doesn’t address your specific pet? there should be a contact address or telephone number within.

https://inspection.canada.ca/importi.../1326600500578

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 07:06 AM   #3
clr

Well if an iguanas is considered a lizard, then it looks like the answer is no, they are not allowed to cross.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 07:18 AM   #4

I found that page and that's where I got my initial "no" answer. As i keep researching, their sites keep taking me to other import, environmental, and wildlife sites....but I can't find a definitive answer. I was hoping someone had made the trip and could provide some insight.
I'm in the process of inquiring to all the different departments I keep getting linked to....hopefully one of them will be able to answer this simple question.
On a side note....I've found plenty of sites (from Canada) selling these types of lizards, so it's not like they're illegal up there
Old 07-25-2022, 01:56 PM   #5

I would say that the site listed above provides a "definitive" answer and cannot be more clear, amphibians and reptiles are not permitted.

Yes you are right, lizards and iguanas are legal in Canada and are sold in many pet stores (I live in Canada) but that does not mean you can bring them into Canada as a pet. Like the web site says, it is to avoid introducing animal diseases.

I would venture on the side of caution, last thing you want is to be denied entry.
chamnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 03:33 PM   #6

Thanks chamnic.
I still don't think I have a definitive answer. Even though that page says "no" it also says that the food admin is not in charge of lizards and to check with (no less than) three other entities to import said animal.
Problem is, every page links to 2 more pages and I'm spinning my tires.
I've sent emails to all entities listed and have heard back from one, who told me to contact yet another about traveling with lizards.
I'll probably just leave them home at this point unless one of the (now) 5 emails changes my mind.
I've even gone thru the importation database that came back with "no restrictions" then said a permit "may" be required...but doesn't give any guidance for obtaining one...ugh...my head hurts.
Old 07-25-2022, 03:52 PM   #7

The did not allow some NY Yankees or SL Cardinals in.

They would not let my friends wife out for years.

Who knows My guess is no.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 05:35 PM   #8

Could you play the “ emotional support animal” card ?
Friend of mine works at the airport and has seen every animal under the sun used as an emotional support animal.
But if it were me I would avoid the whole scenario and just leave them at home. I would not want to be the one explaining to your son that his pets were confiscated or that you couldn’t go to your destination.
Bricklayer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 05:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
The did not allow some NY Yankees or SL Cardinals in.
It goes both ways ...

Players needs to be vaccinated to come in Canada just like they need to be to enter United States. Blue Jays players who would not be vaccinated would not be able to enter United States. All Blue Jays players are vaccinated otherwise they would only play half the season and they would not last long on the team.
chamnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 06:53 PM   #10

Yep.. we'll probably leave them home.
Now I gotta find someone to come feed, water, and spray them (just the one gets sprayed). It's usually his friend from down the street who is currently spending the entire summer with his grandparents in India. Our back up is his cousin (my niece) who is coming with us to PEI.. and my SIL and BIL can't be trusted. Don't ask me how they'd do it, but at least one Gecko would probably not survive...they're not "animal people"....it's hard to care for others when you only care about yourself.

Tags
canada, travel