Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2022, 11:42 PM   #1

Traveling to Canada in a RV

We are planning on visiting some friends next summer in Canada in our Class C
We will be crossing into Canada from NY. We have passports. Is there anything else we need to be aware of? Is there limittations on what food we can bring? Alcohol?

Thanks
johnlantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:34 AM   #2

leave your guns at home
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:39 AM   #3
D W

There are numerous restrictions when crossing into Canada. Too many to mention here. Best thing to do is research the do's and don'ts from the official source:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/menu-eng.html
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:40 AM   #4

There are restrictions on what fresh foods you can bring, last time we went across potatoes were not allowed. Check the Canadian customs web site, they have a listing of prohibited items.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:52 AM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

All the suggestions so far are good ones, but the best is…..no firearms.
There’s a detailed list of do’s and don’ts from the link in post #3.

Hopefully the borders don’t close again to non-essential travel for tourists in both directions due to COVID.

Before COVID……I can’t count how many years, and times we crossed back and forth, and as long as you had your passports READY for customs agents on both sides of the border, there were no issues. Remove any sunglasses, answer their questions politely, and you’ll have no problems BOTH ways.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 11:44 AM   #6

Check with the Province you are traveling through. Pets need health records. Firearms are not worth the trouble. Produce is risky. Limits on alcohol and marijuana. Bring no drugs.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:06 PM   #7

Provinces have zero jurisdiction when entering Canada. All restrictions are federally mandated.

Check with the CBSA web site for limits and restrictions.

Cannabis is legal in Canada however it is still illegal to bring it across the border.

Definitely do not bring firearms, ammunition, pepper spray etc.

When in doubt leave meat and produce at home and stock up once you enter Canada.

Come on up and have an adventure.
2018 Ram DRW, long box, Aisin, 4:10
B & W Companion
Albertaslim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:08 PM   #8

You would be wise to contact your vehicle insurance company and request the confirmation of insurance for Canada. It is free and if you were to have a mishap in Canada it would save you hours of grief. Been there, done that.
Also, take all medical records for any pets.
Border guards on both sides are very serious and do not like jokesters. Be friendly, polite, remove sunglasses and have passports in hand. Answer any questions directly and do not offer any additional information unless requested. If you are traveling with children they too need passports. If they are grandkids or otherwise have a different last name than yours, be sure to have notarized paperwork that indicates they are allowed to travel with you during your dates of travel. Border guards are very alert for child trafficking.
Have a great trip!

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:19 PM   #9

The CDC just issued a travel advisory for Canada due to a high level of Covid19... even for those fully vaccinated.
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices...navirus-canada
Old 01-11-2022, 01:29 PM   #10

I don't want to create a new thread, so let me just piggy back my questions here. I hope it is OK. We have been to Canada 3x in the past in our RV. I am familiar with "most" of the rules and regulations from both US and Canadian side. Just want to ask...

1. What is the bordering crossing status as of TODAY for RVers from USA? (I ask because I know they might/will change before our July trip). We are ALL fully vaccinated (so no issues on that).

2. We have never travelled with our dogs. This will be the first time. What are the rules for dog vaccinations? (both dogs are current on their US required vaccines).

3. Last time we went to Jasper, we stayed on that nice provincial campground (no hook up). But when we went to take that gandola ride to the top of the mountain over looking the City of Jasper, there was a Full Hook Up Campground at the base that was being repaired and was closed in 2019. Any one know the name of that Campground?

We would like to visit Banff and Jasper again this summer, if we can cross. Would like to start making reservations now. (We have been to Banff, Jasper in 2019, Vancouver BC in 2017 and Ontario/Toronto in 2016) in our RV.
ADOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 01:47 PM   #11
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOR View Post
I don't want to create a new thread, so let me just piggy back my questions here. I hope it is OK. We have been to Canada 3x in the past in our RV. I am familiar with "most" of the rules and regulations from both US and Canadian side. Just want to ask...

1. What is the bordering crossing status as of TODAY for RVers from USA? (I ask because I know they might/will change before our July trip). We are ALL fully vaccinated (so no issues on that).

2. We have never travelled with our dogs. This will be the first time. What are the rules for dog vaccinations? (both dogs are current on their US required vaccines).

3. Last time we went to Jasper, we stayed on that nice provincial campground (no hook up). But when we went to take that gandola ride to the top of the mountain over looking the City of Jasper, there was a Full Hook Up Campground at the base that was being repaired and was closed in 2019. Any one know the name of that Campground?

We would like to visit Banff and Jasper again this summer, if we can cross. Would like to start making reservations now. (We have been to Banff, Jasper in 2019, Vancouver BC in 2017 and Ontario/Toronto in 2016) in our RV.

Have you read all the entries in this thread?
Some earlier posts answer or provide answers to your questions with a lot of detail including direct government links.
Sorry…..can’t answer your questions on Jasper campground.

Ken and Terry
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 01-11-2022, 03:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlantz View Post
We will be crossing into Canada from NY. We have passports. Is there anything else we need to be aware of? Is there limittations on what food we can bring? Alcohol?

Thanks
Absolutely what SeaDog said and make sure you DO NOT miss leaving any ammunition laying around. Additionally, make sure you fill out the customs form exactly.
bzac1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 04:07 PM   #13

Whistler is the campground you are thinking of.
https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/jas...ping/whistlers

A useful place for our border info is here.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services.../menu-eng.html

From what I've heard the ArriveCan app is a show stopper to have done, before you roll up to the window..

A change this year, for Alberta's provincial campgrounds, you can reserve 90 days out. They used to have a start date that was a total gong show. Hopefully this way has less headaches.

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 04:07 PM   #14

Welcome

And of course, make sure you have your shots and proof.

I find it odd the the US would recommend travel to Canada when they have 3 times the rate of infection.

Welcome.
RussPastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 04:14 PM   #15

I took my shotgun thru Canada in 2015. I needed a US customs form as proof of ownership. Had to pay a fee at the border. And declare it at every border station. Then coming back into the US they found a fresh lemon that had been with us the entire trip. Boy were they proud of that!
davidgle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 04:19 PM   #16
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussPastuch View Post
And of course, make sure you have your shots and proof.

I find it odd the the US would recommend travel to Canada when they have 3 times the rate of infection.

Welcome.
Did you miss the news lately?

https://globalnews.ca/news/8501247/c...isory-omicron/

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...nada-1.5734376

Ken and Terry
Old 01-11-2022, 04:23 PM   #17
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlantz View Post

Thanks
If you'll go to the FROG website, www.forestriverfrog.com, and go to the "Useful Links" on the black bar at the top of the page, you'll find links to both Canadian and United States Customs. Those should be able to answer your questions.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 04:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgle View Post
I took my shotgun thru Canada in 2015. I needed a US customs form as proof of ownership. Had to pay a fee at the border. And declare it at every border station. Then coming back into the US they found a fresh lemon that had been with us the entire trip. Boy were they proud of that!

Ha! A lemon. Same with us. Had two lemons we carried into Canada. Returning to the US, they asked about fruit. Yes, lemons in the refer. Well, let’s go throw them away. Okay, but I will need to pull forward 20’ and push out the slide to open the refer. What??? We cannot do that with all the traffic here. Ok, now what. Didn’t you say the lemons were cut up into pieces? With our grandson in the back seat we did not want to have him witness a lie from grandma or grandpa, so no, we did not say that. Longgggg pause. Okay proceed and throw away those lemons at your first stop.
Sure we did.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 04:39 PM   #19

No citrus fruit allowed from Canada to US....You can bring Fl oranges into Canada but the US guys will not let you bring those oranges back into the US...Figure that out!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:13 PM   #20
Canadian member

As of today to cross the Canadian border you need à PCR COVID test with of course à negative result. Test must be done 72 hours prior to border crossing.
When you return to USA, through away not only all your citrus products, but also onions, garlic, tomatoes, sweet pepper. We just crossed the border Saturday, and citrus was the only product mentioned.
Eagle2405 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, travel