Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2019, 03:40 PM   #1

Trip advice.... NJ to Acadia to Nova Scotia.

Hi All... we are headed up the Eastern seaboard to Acadia and then into Canada and Nova Scotia. We are currently in Mystic CT. I’m wondering if any of the good folks out here have wandered in these areas and have any suggestions on places to go, and things to do or see.... Any insight would be MUCH appreciated!

Eric
EricNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:39 PM   #2

Spend some time at the Bay of Fundy which is the big bay between Nova Scotia an New Brunswick. Also, Peggy's Cove is worth seeing.

There's a wonderful campground at Fundy National Park where you can see the amazing tide change close up.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:04 PM   #3

Thank you!
Old 07-30-2019, 05:05 PM   #4

Cabot Trail and the Rock

My DW and I are planning an epic trip next summer from the Charlotte NC area, on up through the Adirondacks, then work our way to ME, then up past the Bay of Fundy, and into NS, where we plan to tour around Cape Breton Island. We got a peek at Halifax and Sydney while on a cruise ship, and from Sydney we had an awesome day trip to Bras d'Or Lake. We look forward to going back there and driving around the Cabot Trail. The latter, I hear, can be dicey driving for an RV or truck & camper, so we might park the camper at an RV Park for a week, unhook the truck, and maybe do the Trail in 2 days staying in a B&B or even tent camp.

After that, we will take the Ferry from N. Sydney to Newfoundland, aka the "rock". Primary objectives are Gros Morne NP and Lans aux Meadows, where the Vikings landed and where there is a small reconstructed village.

The entire trip will probably be between 2-3 months and should be quite the adventure. We've been married for a looong time but I'll say with a chuckle that this may put marital harmony to the test. Then again, we have spent the night in the v-berth of my small sailboat and lived to tell the tale. The running joke has been it sleeps two--ONCE.

Anyone else done the Cabot Trail and/or Newfoundland?
Old 07-30-2019, 05:20 PM   #5
Berkshire 390QS

We did the Cabot Trail and not real easy to drive in a RV, some step climbs. We did not do New Foundland due to the ferry cost for the motorhome. When in NS do the Fundy Tide raft trip is was a blast. We spent about 2 months exploring. Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:11 PM   #6

So I’ve made my way to Nova Scotia and will arrive in North Sydney tomorrow. I’m really interested in the Cabot Trail. I’ve got a 36 ft 351 DS plus a toad. I’ve become quite confident in it. That said, how realistic/reasonable would it be to drive the trail? @No3putt, what would be the risks/issues? Thanks for all the good advice!
Old 07-31-2019, 10:21 PM   #7
Kasual Kamper

If you have bikes with you, be sure to enjoy some of the 45 miles of Acadia's carriage trails. We're heading up there next week.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:42 AM   #8

I'm one year behind you, but...

@EricNJ, my conclusion from all the input from posts and Youtube videologs are, probably best not to do it. Sections of the loop have steep inclines, and some hairpin turns.

All kidding aside, if you do drive the loop probably best to at least drive counter-clockwise, that way as you encounter scenic turnouts along the highway you don't have to make a left-turn against oncoming traffic.

If you just take the toad, you could probably do the loop in one day, but it would be rushed and a long day. Why not find a nice safe RV park in Baddeck for the week, and leave the coach locked up overnight while you make the loop in the toad and book a B&B somewhere half-way? Might be a whole lot less stressful.

I don't have an RV and toad, but rather a 19' truck with a 22' trailer, so I would face the same long-rig concerns. The above is my plan for next year.

All that said, there are a number of Youtube videologs posted with good dashcam shots of the road at different sections of the loop, and some campground photos.

search this for example
https://www.google.com/search?q=yout...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Have fun and I look forward to a full report when you return
Old 08-01-2019, 04:43 PM   #9

Thank you!
Old 08-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #10

We are leaving NH for NS in 2 weeks. Anyone have any comments on Route 9 from Bangor to the border at Calais?
Duneit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:20 PM   #11

Having now done the Cabot Trail in Toad only mode, I would have no fear doing it with the 36ft rv plus toad. Nothing worse hear than at Yellowstone. GREAT DRIVE though. Loved it.