Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2020, 11:04 AM   #1

Winter RVing in Crofton, BC what do I need to know

Hi, We have been snowbirding down in Mesa Arizona for 4 years now. This will be our first winter in Canada. We are booked at Osborne RV Resort in Crofton, BC on (Vancouver Island). Would like to know if we need to Skirt the 5th Wheel, use a Heated water hose, can you leave the sewer line hooked up with the valve closed and only open it when you need to dump. Or do you have to put it away after each use. Do you fill the fresh water tank and put the hose away or do you leave a heated water hose running all the time. Do we need to bring a snow shovel? We can rent a 100lb propane tank, should we do that. Can you fish in the winter there & what kind of fishing rod do you need? This will all be new to us (Snowbirding in BC). Would like to be prepared.

Kim & Randy Holmes
2016 F350 Turbo Diesel FX4
2014 Palomino Sabre 33 CKTS
(2012: 10); (2013: 17); (2014: 33); (2015: 43);
(2016: 37); (2017: 69); (2018: 90); (2019: 109); (2020: 110)
kholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:09 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

That's a LOT of unknowns for to have already booked your stay!

What is the daily average temperature during that time frame?
Knowing that will automatically answer a lot of those questions.

I'm sure the R/V resort has some recommendations as well since they are the ones allowing folks to stay there.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:13 AM   #3

plus 5 to 10, dipping to some nights to -3 degrees Celsius.

Kim & Randy Holmes
Old 07-17-2020, 11:22 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Well -3 degrees Celsius is below freezing so plan to have things in place to avoid the consequences of those temperatires.

There are dozens of threads here about cold weather camping and the pro/cons of things like heated water hoses-vs- unhooking and using the on-board tank, leaving the sewer hose connected and letting the water trickle (with sometimes the sewer hose freezing and then the water backing up into the R/V!) using an auxiliary electric heater(s), larger propane tanks, skirting, insulation in the vents and windows, etc.

A search should get you some good reading where YOU'LL need to weigh the pros and cons of each.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Well -3 degrees Celsius is below freezing so plan to have things in place to avoid the consequences of those temperatires.
True but -3 C is not as bad as -3 F. 27 degrees is only a chilly morning as a rule. Not quite like the freeze you get when the temp drops below zero Farenheit.

That's one of the benefits of living close to the Pacific Ocean. It moderates our temps quite a bit. Once you go inland however you have to bring in the brass monkeys.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:48 PM   #6

We experienced similar temperatures while wintering in Utah & Colorado one winter. We kept the fresh water tank half full in case the water hose should freeze. Keep an eye on the weather report for any extreme cold forecasts and take appropriate actions. We left the sewer hose attached with both black and grey water valves shut. We would dump the tanks when they were filled and re-close the dump valves. Make sure the drain hose is empty to prevent ice buildup between dumps.

We used oil filled electric heaters because they are virtually silent and to conserve on propane. Since we have a travel trailer (not a 5th wheel) I heat taped and insulated all the water lines and sewerage valves to prevent them from freezing but that should not be necessary with a 5th wheel.

I cannot help you on the fishing report but you should be able to find a fishing blog for Vancouver Island online. Check last winter's reports.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:49 PM   #7

I live north of Crofton and on the coast in the same climatic zone. Winter temperatures are normally +5C but it does happen that temperatures can go as low as -14C for extended periods of time. We do get snow on occasion lasting for only hours or weeks. The weather fluctuates year by year. I would box in under your RV to keep the wind from cooling the floor.
ALLANB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:05 PM   #8

My last 4 winters were spent in the Arizona (3) and Nevada (1) deserts. Where I stayed in AZ had 3 different levels, if you were at the lower level near the river, the temps would be lower than the higher levels. Everyone I knew who stayed down there had to deal with frozen pipes. The temps would vary just at that RV park, let alone the predictions for the town. Last winter in NV I asked the hosts about the possibility of frozen hoses/pipes and the guy laughed at me saying 'I've been here for 7 years and never have done anything...blah, blah, blah. Someone else told me it had been 17 degrees the prior winter....so, I bought a heated water hose and a section of the tube insulation with a slit down the side to fashion covers at the trailer connection and the faucet. I got to go though the whole winter of various temps, some below freezing (hard freeze) and didn't worry about it one bit. To me, much more comfortable not having to fiddle with or worry about if it might freeze. The hose doesn't use much electricity and has a thermostat that switches it on at 37 degrees. One of the best purchases I've made.
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:27 PM   #9

On Vancouver Island you would probably fine with a heated water hose.
a small ceramic heater for you wet bay should be sufficient. Set it at the low setting with thermostat set pretty low.
Skirting the 5th wheel would not be a bad idea. It will help to keep your floors warmer.

You will more likely have more cold rain than snow and the nights will be chilly. Average temps are in the low to upper 20's F for the most part. Not terribly cold.

Figure on lots of gray days.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:58 PM   #10

We spend the winters in Nanaimo BC. You will get my with the heated water hose. We leave the sewer hose on all the time. If they are calling for s week of freezing weather I will put some rub antifreeze into the black tank. We have been going to BC for the past 10 years. You will get some snow it will last several days before it rains and is washed away. The skirting will help a bit. I do not skirt my trailer, it just gives the animals a warm place to spend the winter. This spring when our neighbour's removed his skirting he found a dead rabbit. Plus do not forget BC means bring cash (you will find prices to be more expensive in BC.)
Plus check the local propane company you might be able to rent a large tank for the winter. I found a 30 pound tank lasts about 6 days.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:29 PM   #11

Surviving the winter

Last year was my first winter in Wisconsin, I wasn’t planning on spending the winter here In my Cedar Creek 5th wheel it just happened that way so anyway I learned a lot and hope this helps you.
1. I purchased a 100 pound and a 40 pound propane tank keeping my two 30 pound tanks in case of emergency. When my 100 pound tank ran out I would connect to the 40 pound tank and would refill the 100 pound asap.
2. I bought an electric water hose good for -40F Be sure that the thermostat is on the end that connects to the outside faucet.
3. This year I will use PVC Pipe with heat tape from my sewer and not worry about the flex hose freezing.
4. Insulate and use heat tape for your sewer pipe coming from your trailer.
5. Place a small heater in your storage compartment for plumbing on the extreme cold.
6. I bought a Dyson heater for my bedroom and never got cold and didn’t need a electric blanket.
7. I didn’t skirt my trailer last year but I may this year if I stay.
8. I bought a heat gun just in case and used it a couple times to thaw my sewer drain once and my water fitting inside in my storage compartment.

Best of luck and hope this helps.
Jepickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:34 PM   #12

Winter Rving in BC

Thank you for the information. We bought a heated water hose, dehumidifier, looking into skirting for the rig & something like Hypervent Aire-Flow Moisture Barrier for under the mattress. I'll bring along our heat gun in case we need to thaw something. We will rent the 100 lb propane tank the campground told me about. I'll buy a small heater for our storage compartment for plumbing on the extreme cold days.
Its is definitely going to be a different winter vacation for us this year. We should learn lots. Looking forward to seeing what staying in Canada for the Winter is like & the adventure we will experience.

Kim & Randy Holmes

Tags
winter