Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Yet another story of gun seizures at the border.

I was just reading this article from the paper today and thought once again of the question that keeps popping up about guns and Canada.

http://www.windsorstar.com/seizures+...6391/story.htm

In particular this quote from the story stood out:

Quote:
Two days later, <name withheld by me> was charged with smuggling and evading compliance at the Queenston Bridge when officers found he had an undeclared revolver, an undeclared handgun and an undeclared semi-automatic pistol in a safe under the bed in his motor home.
This is just being put out there for information purposes only since the question seems to come up a few times a year.

I personally take no stand one way or the other but I thought the information was pertinent to those looking to travel to, or through, Canada.

Note to mods: I know how this topic can quickly decelerate into the political, and ask that you help keep the topic on track, as an informative one only.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #2

Undeclared??? If he declared the guns he would be on his way.. border security do not like surprises.

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2014, 12:12 PM   #3

Interesting!
But not unexpected!

And given the current climate of this forum I see a lock in the near future.

Thanks for the reminder just the same.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, what I thought was interesting in this case was that aside from declaring, it sounds like he was doing things right. They were locked in a safe (assumed gun safe), the safe was hidden, it wasn't on him or near where he could reach as a driver.

But in the end, he was still charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-13-2014, 01:08 PM   #5

There are still restrictions on what you can declare and take into Canada. For instance no semi-auto pistols. Revolvers are limited to 4 1/4" barrel (I think). All other sporting rifles and shotguns are pretty much ok but still have some funny rulings.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2014, 01:11 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to B and B
True, there are restrictions in Canada. I have travelled the world and always abided by local country's rules. Why risk trouble? When we travelled to the US we made sure we didn't have any food that was illegal to bring in, all meds in original containers, dog had health certificate etc. In Canada handguns and semi automatic guns are restricted.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2014, 01:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
Undeclared??? If he declared the guns he would be on his way.. border security do not like surprises.
Is this all that would happen if he declared them??
Old 09-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Paul View Post
Not sure but if he declared them they would either say yes or no

semt from my s4 mini

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2014, 01:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
True. I have travelled the world and always abided by local country's rules. Why risk trouble. When we travelled to the US made sure we didn't have any food that was illegal to bring in, all meds in original containers, dog had health certificate etc. In Canada handguns and semi automatic guns are restricted.
You have respect other Country's rules period. Even in the USA not every state will permit you to carry CCW. I live in Virginia and when I go to Florida, Georgia is the only state that will not accept the State of Virginia ccw permit. Look at the guy that made a wrong turn in Mexico 3 mos and still in jail. You have to be responsible for knowing the laws. That's part of being a responsible person with a firer arm.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Paul View Post
My understanding is the guns would have been taken and then returned (if not stolen before then) when they left the country.

Quote:
Agreement WARNING - This thread concerns an emotion laden RV topic that has in the past resulted in thread closure, censure, or post moderation due to rule violations. Please refresh yourself with our community rules prior to posting: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ork&page=rules
WoW!
Really?
Old 09-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
Not sure but if he declared them they would either say yes or no

semt from my s4 mini

At least if they're declared there won't be the smuggling charge. Most likely they'd be just turned back and refused entry, but I'm not CBSA so I don't know for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #12

I had be told that you can't bring hand guns into Canada? I would not even try to.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #13

If he had of declared it they may have had the semi automatic seized, I don't think they would have held it for him until he returned. What most likely would have happens, he would have been given the option to rescind his application for entry into Canada, border officials would have walked the guns back to the US side where he could have picked them up. He then could have secured a safe location to store the gun/guns that were not allowed to enter Canada and continue the Canadian portion of the trip.

Where they were now denied entry and charged, they will not be allowed to cross, unless pardoned for 1 for the denied entry and up to 10yrs for the charge.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:39 PM   #14

This topic needs to be expanded a little beyond firearms. Canada has posted its rules on firearms and it is pretty clear what is legal and what is not.

Still you should also research other differences in the laws and your rights when you are going into another country. Knowing where the US Consulate is located and their contact information is well worth having.

Most countries are required to inform your consulate when there is an arrest.

You should also take the time to understand what border crossing procedures are. A friend of mine was bringing back a rock from his recently deceased father's garden. No problem on the Canadian side. He gets to American side and they regarded the rock as Canadian "minerals" and returned to Canadian border agents (their agents just tossed it behind their post!)

So even simple things can be a problem and it can be like Dorthy said..."Toto I don't think we are in Kansas anymore..."
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #15

Believe I will just stay in the good ole USA as long as possible!! Maybe their will not be a problem with that. Do not know Canadian laws but we must respect them if we go there.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
You have respect other Country's rules period. Even in the USA not every state will permit you to carry CCW. I live in Virginia and when I go to Florida, Georgia is the only state that will not accept the State of Virginia ccw permit. Look at the guy that made a wrong turn in Mexico 3 mos and still in jail. You have to be responsible for knowing the laws. That's part of being a responsible person with a firer arm.
"You have to be responsible for knowing the laws. That's part of being a responsible person with a firearm"

Well said and right to the point.
Blubear is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #17
Anacortesians

From where we live, the border is only about 75 miles away by road. Vancouver airport is about the same distance from home as SeaTac. We have flown to the UK several times from YVR and it's a lot less hassle.

Since DW and I are both British, we can't own guns in the US, so the Canadian laws are no problem.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Well said X2.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2014, 06:14 PM   #19
Incheon, S. Korea

Why not go to the source...

Canada's rules.

Bringing a Firearm into Canada

You may bring a hunting rifle or shotgun and up to 200 rounds of ammunition into Ontario as a visitor, but you must be 18 years of age or older to do so and the firearms must be for hunting or competitions use.

* You must be at least 18 years of age to bring firearms into Canada.

* You must either have a Canadian Possession and Acquisition License (PAL) or you have to register your firearms at the Canadian border. You are able to obtain and complete a Non-Resident Firearms Declaration form before you cross the border which will make it easier and less time consuming. The permit fee is $25.00 (CDN) per person for a temporary registration permit and the permit is valid for 60 days. Call toll-free 1-800-731-4000 to get a Firearms Declaration Form.

* Easiest way to obtain a Canadian PAL (possession and Acquisition License) prior to importing guns into Canada. If you have a PAL, you do not have to fill out registration forms and there is only a one time fee.

* You cannot import prohibited firearms. Fully automatic weapons, all hand guns and guns of less than 66 cm (26 inches) in length are prohibited by law.

* Restricted firearms such as pistols or revolvers may be temporarily imported if you have an Authorization to Transport (ATT) in advance from a Canadian Chief Firearms Officer.

Canada Welcomes You!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2014, 06:31 PM   #20

gun laws

I do not know about Canadian laws regarding gun laws, but we went to mt. rushmore this fall, and I was going to carry my S&W 40 cal until I started to check the different states laws that we would be traveling through, and their right to carry laws. Illinois is by far the most horrible state as far as allowing protection permits. Also there is a difference between concealed carry and protection permits in most states.
pacin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply