Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2020, 01:30 PM   #1

2008 Lexington -- wiring schematic?

I recently purchased a 2008 Lexington 283TS and found out that A.C power is somewhat intermittent. When shore power is connected it takes several cycles of the main 30 amp breaker to get A.C power in the coach. I've replaced the main breaker without any effect. I understand that somewhere, upstream of the main breaker is a transfer switch that takes care of the transition from shore power to the generator. Anyone have any idea if there's an online resource for Rv wiring schematics? Any thoughts as to whether or not the culprit might be the transfer switch?

Many thanks,

Dave.
david_wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 01:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Online schematics don't exist for your MH.
You can try contacting the Lexington division but nearly all schematic requests are fruitless.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:35 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Is the breaker tripping each time you turn on the AC or is the AC just not starting without you power cycling several times?
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:42 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies - I've opened the power distribution center and started tacking down circuits.

Here is some background info

The power distribution panel is a WFCO WF-8930 located underneath the bed.

I've attached some images for clarification

The first image shows the distribution panel with the main breaker removed to the right of the branch breakers. You can see only one bonding post to the power buss. The breaker that I pulled out is a GE 30 dual pole narrow format breaker. The print is so small I can't determine the part number. The rear buss connection on the breaker clearly shows signs of arcing. In addition, I can hear arcing inside the breaker before coach power drops out.

The front panel of the distribution panel indicates the main breaker shares the same location as the Air Conditioning breaker. ( Images attached). The wiring from the each screw terminal is what I would consider proper for the loads with a 12 gauge wire for the main breaker and 14 gauge for the Air Conditioner.

I ordered a replacement breaker per the WFCO manual (a 30 amp QP series Siemens) which came as a 2 inch standard width breaker. I Installed that breaker, knocking out an additional space in the front distribution panel dress cover. The electrical AC is solved but there's no power to the AirCon breaker - simple reason is that there's not a buss connection for the second pole on the Siemens QP breaker.

I was told by the previous owner that the AirCon was working although I don't understand how unless the GE breaker that failed shared a single buss bonding connection with both sides of the breaker.

Any thoughts as to what I'm missing?

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200823_134706.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	376.6 KB
ID:	237440   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200823_134713.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	237441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200823_134831.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	237442   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200823_134844.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	237443   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200823_134731.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	372.3 KB
ID:	237445  

Old 08-23-2020, 10:12 PM   #5

Problem solved -- rewire and reconfigure the distribution panel. All new breakers as spec' by the manufacture with the AirCon on it's own breaker.

I've got a California C-10 electrical contractors lics and there is no doubt in my mind that Forest River has thrown out any manuals regarding NEC codes. What a mess.....

Dave
Old 08-24-2020, 10:43 AM   #6
MaPaChoo

Glad your problem is solved I wonder if the original owner changed that breaker and used the wrong one. We have a single post for our 30/20 main breaker which powers both sides and its a Square D like the rest of them. As I suspected the 20 amp side is not being used as they moved the air conditioner to its own breaker on the inverter panel.

Tags
lexington, wiring