Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #1

Arctic Switch

Does anyone know what the Arctic switch is for, and how it works? It is on our 2007 Lexington GTS 270S.
LexingtonGTS2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:33 PM   #2

It's for your heat pads on your hold up tanks.
2009 Weimaraner "Dog"
onequicksportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:57 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

The switch activates the heating pads on your Fresh Water,Gray & Black tanks and the pads that are attached to the fittings at the termination of the waste lines. The pads are thermostatically controlled. They come on at 44 degrees so the fluid stays above freezing temps as the temperature drops.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #4

Arctic Switch, More Questions

Can we turn it on when the RV is connected to electric by an extension cord to our house? Like if there were a freeze before it is winterized? We are new RVer's. Would this protect everything if there were a freeze? Also, could we travel during the winter with this feature?
Old 10-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

depends on how many amps the the heaters take .
more than 15 amps and id say no with an extension cord.
if there is still water in your lines and hw heater it will not protect them from freezing .
you need to winterize it if your worried about freezing !
arctic switch only covers your grey and black water tanks .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #6

Question Still more arctic system questions

Thanks for your quick response. So if we still need to winterize, what is the purpose of the arctic system? When would it best be used? I'm sorry for all the questions. We're learning as we go!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

thats a very good statement and or question .
In my opinion you could have water in camper while camping .
the hw heater would keep the water from freezing there and your furnace should or possibly should keep your water lines from freezing inside . it would take a lot to freeze your fresh water tank . I am assuming your camper has a covered and heated underbelly as well . I had a 2006 flagstaff tt that had cold weather switch as well but never camped in freezing weather but once and the camper was winterized
but if you are traveling while in freezing weather your furnace will not run . only your hw heater if turned on gas side .
any one else ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:52 AM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonGTS2007 View Post
Thanks for your quick response. So if we still need to winterize, what is the purpose of the arctic system? When would it best be used? I'm sorry for all the questions. We're learning as we go!
They are used along with your heating system. If parked for storage and not winterized you'll need to either set your furnace at the lowest setting to run or place a space heater in there. I usually open the cabinet doors so the heat can radiate into the area where the water lines are. The heating pads protect the underside of the plumbing that is not exposed to the heat within the coach such as the tanks and drain fitting where water is trapped by the termination valves. The heating pads are 12 volts, so they will function as you travel. If extremely cold you may need to run the generator and the furnace in the back of the coach for added protection.
Once winterized and no longer required be sure to turn them off. They will drain your batteries down if not connected to shore power.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #9
Anacortesians

The "Artic" kit on my 325 (that's how it's labelled) runs electrical resistance heating pads on the black and grey tanks (but NOT the potable tank). According to the vendor documentation, the thermostat cuts in at 40F and off again at 65F. Why would you want to heat the waste tank contents to 65F? Also, since contaminants reduce the temperature at which water freezes, why bother turning them on at 40 degrees?

They're 12V DC and each pad draws about 5 amps. There are two pads on each tank, I think. There are no elements on valves or pipes.

It's a very peculiar system and seems to address a non-problem. I sure don't plan to use them!