Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2022, 08:30 AM   #1

brought home a (new-to-us) Lexington 300 SS GTS

I just brought home a 2010 Lexington 300 SSGTS. I turned it 27,000 miles on the way home and running around 65 mph it pulled 8.8 mpg. It was a barn find- they kept it in a barn so super clean. It was a little scary buying it on only pictures and phone calls but the pictures were very hi-def so I could get a feel for it's true condition. They had a couple things fixed and an inspection report also. The things to be done
- replace driver/pass seats since the fake leather coating is coming off- and swivel pedestals.
- replace couch with dual recliners- we have that in the bumper pull trailer we are selling.
- fix gennie- carb is gunked up cause they never used it. I am sure it is gunked up from ethanol residue. I'll pull it and try to soak it out and replace with a fresh carb if needed.
- just put 6 new tires on since the ones on it were original. They still have 13/16" tread and are Michelins.
- move stuff from current trailer RV to MH and find a place for everything.
- figure out how to pull out entertainment center (bigger TV) to get at rear of bubble and check for leaks and add insulation.
- upgrade lights to all LED.
- eventually replace 2 yr old batteries with AGM (most likely). I can't justify the price of litiums. I already have solar panels and controller. Eventually I install the controller into the RV but not panels on roof. I don't like holes in the roof and don't mind moving panels throughout the door for best exposure.
I am sure there will be more but a good start for now and have til mid August when next big trip is scheduled to Red River Gorge in eastern KY.
I value the comments and imput from this site already and will become a regular contributor I am sure.

EDIT- forgot to add a nice picture!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4884.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	579.5 KB
ID:	273161  
Danimal713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:55 AM   #2

Sounds like you got a good find and have a solid plan moving forward. Congrats. A lot of information and ideas provided on this site.

Happy camping!
Old 05-13-2022, 06:38 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Congratulations! Looks like a nice rig.
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:48 PM   #4

Smart call on the tires, they don’t age well! What did you get?
Old 05-13-2022, 07:41 PM   #5

Great find.

What's the condition of the roof seams? In the barn covered is great for protection from UV rays but seams will deteriorate regardless with age period.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:00 PM   #6

Congratulations and welcome to the forum!
Old 05-13-2022, 11:46 PM   #7

Welcome in the gang !

IMHO, the Lexington is one of rhe best model FR had made, few issues; only have to maintain.

Regarding your tires, you said they were from origin . Check the DOT code with Michelin; in those years, there was a recall. You might end up with free replacement(don't forget the spare).

Be happy with your Lexi and start all your improvements.

Happy travelling !
HerveVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:02 PM   #8

Congrats! Looks like a nice one. Lots of room. I had similar luck finding a smaller one (07 235) in 2014 with only 4k miles on it. Of all the motorhomes and trailers I've had, this one is the best build. Not sure why they stopped making these, but it's good to have one to hang on to. Enjoy.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:56 AM   #9

Update on progress and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviBill View Post
Smart call on the tires, they don’t age well! What did you get?
I put on 6 Pathfinder HT load range E by Hankook. I had put a set of Pathfinders LT on my truck and they compared with Michelins across the board except pricing. I looked at Michelins (what the Lexie had) but $2200 vs $1450 didn't cut it. The Lexie road better overall. I kept the 6 Michelins that came off and stowed in rear compartment and sold them in 3 days for $250. They still had 13/32" tread and no checking anywhere. I am glad I replaced and the guy that bought them was not going to use them long. He wanted to put them on his truck for a short term test because he thought his alignment was still off after some work and didn't want to put on new tires.

Update on work- I pulled out the front TV and found lots of mice turds/nests but no typical mice damage like chewing wires etc. There was one (useless) piece of fiberglass batting across the front bubble behind the big speaker enclosure. The mice loved that. I vacuumed all of the crap (literally) out and tossed the bat and the vacuum bag (fortunately it was garbage pickup day). I bleached everything and added some insulation to the nose. For now it is temporary because I do not want to tear the entertainment center apart going into camping season. In the process of checking lights for conversion to LED from Halogen, I can see in the hole for the light I pulled, the fiberglass front bubble still shows. This coming Winter I will pull the entertainment center out and insulated well (and make sure all the critter holes are sealed so no repeat performances of the mice opera. Pulling the recessed lights in the ceiling I can see the fiberglass roof bottom so will apply some foam (not too much since it can expand a lot!). I thought I would have to replace the entire lights with LED fixtures but found instead replacement bulbs that plug into the G4/T3 sockets to replace Halogens. I also will add another over kitchen counter prep area next to stove (and replace all the dim 921 plug in bulbs with some bright LED plug in bulbs- 500 lumens). I also bought wheel covers since I let the ones I have about 17 years go with the 2017 Crossroads we sold (for $1500 more than we had in it including upgrades/improvements). I got my money's worth from them.
I have material to add some shelves as we customize it for us. I also am looking to utilize the wasted storage space behind the drawers under the dinette seats. It seems if I cut holes on the inside of each bench under the table, I can access that space fairly easily. I am a woodworker (over 50 years making sawdust and firewood!) so building a matching door is no problem.
I did find/fix (hopefully) a small leak yesterday. We had 1 1/2 days of solid soaking rain and I found a slow drip just where entertainment cent and main cabin roof meet running down the entertainment center. Yesterday was mostly dry so I went hunting and found the awning had been "bumped" and the front upper bracket was loose. Both screws were bent and "fun" to remove. I applied gentle heat to dry and then put caulk in hole and butyl tape and new lag screws with more caulk. More rain is coming but once things get dry again I have some Dicor caulk (both kinds) and will cover over that. The caulk is in good condition from being in the barn and I will do my minimum bi-annual inspections (probably at least 4 times or more/year). I don't like the looks of the seam where the front cap and truck cab meet and why I bought some no-sag Dicor for it. Once it dries out I will make a nice pretty seam to make sure it does not leak.
We have already replaced the couch with 2 lounge chairs from RecPro so if anyone is looking for a just-under 66" sleeper couch in dark (expresso was the design of our interior). We have one for sale with very little wear- $200.
The bottom front part is here and the 2 additional cushions just not in pictures.

I do have some questions-
1) This has an inverter under passenger seat. I have not traced wires yet but from reading it seems it only powers the plug by the front TV. When I turn on the switch, there is no power to that plug. Is there any sort of wiring diagram for it?

2) There is supposed to be an intermittent contact switch to be able to use the house batteries to start the coach motor. I have not found one yet- any ideas where it might be in a 2010 Lexie?

3) There is a switch next to the remote control switch for the mirrors. When I turn it on, a red LED comes on but I do not know the function of that switch- heated mirrors perhaps?

4) We plan to replace the front \seats with swivel pedestals. The fake leather has pealed off and looks .... bad. I will check on getting them recovered but think I can replace for less as others have done. I have checked but need to replace with arm rests on inside only since the doors have arm rests. Any feedback/suggestions on pedestals and seats? The inverter will be moved. I have a portable 500W also and may replace both with a larger one if I find the need to have one. We are not big TV people and like to escape electronic devices when we camp.

5) The house batteries are 2 years old and need to be replaced. They are floated cell regular lead/acid. I have done research on AGM vs Lithium and am leaning toward Lithium
-can drain it much further down- 80-90% vs 50-60% for AGM. This is like having an extra battery or more in same space.
-voltage stays constant down to around 95% vs dropping off
-1/3-1/2 of weight. This is huge. Pick up each and you will see
the big disadvantage is Lithium costs more. But proper battery management and care can stretch the life possibly to 8-10 years and this seems realistic based on the Lithiums I own already for tools/yard machines. The converter is WFCO 9800 series and WFCO claims it supports Lithium batteries. I will need to get a new battery charger with regular/AGM/Lithium selection switch but that's no big deal.
Any input/suggestions? I am finding 100aH Lithium batteries in the $400 price range that I think would be a decent compromise over $7-1000 batteries. I have solar arrays (current 200W and want to get rid of the 4 25W arrays and replace with 2 more 100W arrays for total of 300W. I do not plan on mounting them on roof. The Lexie has a generator too but currently the carb is gunked up with ethanol junk. If I can't get it cleaned out I'll replace carb. I have played with it other day with starting fluid and SeaFoam spray but no love yet. I plan to pull carb and soak it good in cleaner and see if that fixes it.

6) I saw several mentions of running a tuning program on the Triton. Not for better mileage cause there is only so much lipstick a pig can wear. It is more for changing shift points and getting maybe a little more power out of the motor/trans at different ranges. I thing I saw one user Grumpy that has done this and insulated the front cap. Any comments/feedback on a tuning program?

7) I was thinking of buying leveling block packs like Legos but after reading the reviews at least for now I will stick with wood- being a wood worker, I have a bit. I like the blocks DYI built with dowels that work like the plastic leveling blocks but the time to build is a bit. I may do that eventually but and looking for what other people do/use?

I appreciate these forums and have learned a lot from the ones I followed for the Crossroads. I also contribute so am planning on that too. I do get a bit wordy so appreciate everyone's patience.
So far the Lexie is built much better than any previous camper we have owned and we am quite pleased. looking forward to more
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7288.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	273912   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7289.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	273913   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7293.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	438.1 KB
ID:	273914  
Old 05-25-2022, 08:31 AM   #10

Welcome from Virginia !!!!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal713 View Post
I put on 6 Pathfinder HT load range E by Hankook. I had put a set of Pathfinders LT on my truck and they compared with Michelins across the board except pricing. I looked at Michelins (what the Lexie had) but $2200 vs $1450 didn't cut it. The Lexie road better overall. I kept the 6 Michelins that came off and stowed in rear compartment and sold them in 3 days for $250. They still had 13/32" tread and no checking anywhere. I am glad I replaced and the guy that bought them was not going to use them long. He wanted to put them on his truck for a short term test because he thought his alignment was still off after some work and didn't want to put on new tires.

Update on work- I pulled out the front TV and found lots of mice turds/nests but no typical mice damage like chewing wires etc. There was one (useless) piece of fiberglass batting across the front bubble behind the big speaker enclosure. The mice loved that. I vacuumed all of the crap (literally) out and tossed the bat and the vacuum bag (fortunately it was garbage pickup day). I bleached everything and added some insulation to the nose. For now it is temporary because I do not want to tear the entertainment center apart going into camping season. In the process of checking lights for conversion to LED from Halogen, I can see in the hole for the light I pulled, the fiberglass front bubble still shows. This coming Winter I will pull the entertainment center out and insulated well (and make sure all the critter holes are sealed so no repeat performances of the mice opera. Pulling the recessed lights in the ceiling I can see the fiberglass roof bottom so will apply some foam (not too much since it can expand a lot!). I thought I would have to replace the entire lights with LED fixtures but found instead replacement bulbs that plug into the G4/T3 sockets to replace Halogens. I also will add another over kitchen counter prep area next to stove (and replace all the dim 921 plug in bulbs with some bright LED plug in bulbs- 500 lumens). I also bought wheel covers since I let the ones I have about 17 years go with the 2017 Crossroads we sold (for $1500 more than we had in it including upgrades/improvements). I got my money's worth from them.
I have material to add some shelves as we customize it for us. I also am looking to utilize the wasted storage space behind the drawers under the dinette seats. It seems if I cut holes on the inside of each bench under the table, I can access that space fairly easily. I am a woodworker (over 50 years making sawdust and firewood!) so building a matching door is no problem.
I did find/fix (hopefully) a small leak yesterday. We had 1 1/2 days of solid soaking rain and I found a slow drip just where entertainment cent and main cabin roof meet running down the entertainment center. Yesterday was mostly dry so I went hunting and found the awning had been "bumped" and the front upper bracket was loose. Both screws were bent and "fun" to remove. I applied gentle heat to dry and then put caulk in hole and butyl tape and new lag screws with more caulk. More rain is coming but once things get dry again I have some Dicor caulk (both kinds) and will cover over that. The caulk is in good condition from being in the barn and I will do my minimum bi-annual inspections (probably at least 4 times or more/year). I don't like the looks of the seam where the front cap and truck cab meet and why I bought some no-sag Dicor for it. Once it dries out I will make a nice pretty seam to make sure it does not leak.
We have already replaced the couch with 2 lounge chairs from RecPro so if anyone is looking for a just-under 66" sleeper couch in dark (expresso was the design of our interior). We have one for sale with very little wear- $200.
The bottom front part is here and the 2 additional cushions just not in pictures.

I do have some questions-
1) This has an inverter under passenger seat. I have not traced wires yet but from reading it seems it only powers the plug by the front TV. When I turn on the switch, there is no power to that plug. Is there any sort of wiring diagram for it?

2) There is supposed to be an intermittent contact switch to be able to use the house batteries to start the coach motor. I have not found one yet- any ideas where it might be in a 2010 Lexie?

3) There is a switch next to the remote control switch for the mirrors. When I turn it on, a red LED comes on but I do not know the function of that switch- heated mirrors perhaps?

4) We plan to replace the front \seats with swivel pedestals. The fake leather has pealed off and looks .... bad. I will check on getting them recovered but think I can replace for less as others have done. I have checked but need to replace with arm rests on inside only since the doors have arm rests. Any feedback/suggestions on pedestals and seats? The inverter will be moved. I have a portable 500W also and may replace both with a larger one if I find the need to have one. We are not big TV people and like to escape electronic devices when we camp.

5) The house batteries are 2 years old and need to be replaced. They are floated cell regular lead/acid. I have done research on AGM vs Lithium and am leaning toward Lithium
-can drain it much further down- 80-90% vs 50-60% for AGM. This is like having an extra battery or more in same space.
-voltage stays constant down to around 95% vs dropping off
-1/3-1/2 of weight. This is huge. Pick up each and you will see
the big disadvantage is Lithium costs more. But proper battery management and care can stretch the life possibly to 8-10 years and this seems realistic based on the Lithiums I own already for tools/yard machines. The converter is WFCO 9800 series and WFCO claims it supports Lithium batteries. I will need to get a new battery charger with regular/AGM/Lithium selection switch but that's no big deal.
Any input/suggestions? I am finding 100aH Lithium batteries in the $400 price range that I think would be a decent compromise over $7-1000 batteries. I have solar arrays (current 200W and want to get rid of the 4 25W arrays and replace with 2 more 100W arrays for total of 300W. I do not plan on mounting them on roof. The Lexie has a generator too but currently the carb is gunked up with ethanol junk. If I can't get it cleaned out I'll replace carb. I have played with it other day with starting fluid and SeaFoam spray but no love yet. I plan to pull carb and soak it good in cleaner and see if that fixes it.

6) I saw several mentions of running a tuning program on the Triton. Not for better mileage cause there is only so much lipstick a pig can wear. It is more for changing shift points and getting maybe a little more power out of the motor/trans at different ranges. I thing I saw one user Grumpy that has done this and insulated the front cap. Any comments/feedback on a tuning program?

7) I was thinking of buying leveling block packs like Legos but after reading the reviews at least for now I will stick with wood- being a wood worker, I have a bit. I like the blocks DYI built with dowels that work like the plastic leveling blocks but the time to build is a bit. I may do that eventually but and looking for what other people do/use?

I appreciate these forums and have learned a lot from the ones I followed for the Crossroads. I also contribute so am planning on that too. I do get a bit wordy so appreciate everyone's patience.
So far the Lexie is built much better than any previous camper we have owned and we am quite pleased. looking forward to more

I am guessing your rig does not have soy-plastic wire insulation, thus mice don’t chew it (as much).

I used sound-mat on the inside of the cap and then insulated, it helped a bit with road noise.

2.) My “jump start” switch is left and down from the steering wheel (rocker switch).

6.) Most tunner kits help with somethings and harm long term engine/trans life (I am a retired GM engine/transmission controls guy). If Ford could have kept durability and improved MPG/Torque they would have. My two cents

7.) I use stall mat underneath the lego blocks, keeps them from sliding on pavement and from sinking in sand.

Nice seating! I keep thinking I should do the same.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviBill View Post
I am guessing your rig does not have soy-plastic wire insulation, thus mice don’t chew it (as much).

I used sound-mat on the inside of the cap and then insulated, it helped a bit with road noise.

2.) My “jump start” switch is left and down from the steering wheel (rocker switch).

6.) Most tunner kits help with somethings and harm long term engine/trans life (I am a retired GM engine/transmission controls guy). If Ford could have kept durability and improved MPG/Torque they would have. My two cents

7.) I use stall mat underneath the lego blocks, keeps them from sliding on pavement and from sinking in sand.

Nice seating! I keep thinking I should do the same.
Thanks for the response. I will pull the entertainment center out of the cap this Winter and insulate. I have not yet decide best route.

I found jump start switch- it is mounted to base of drivers pedestal. There is an electronic box under driver's seat so I will have another thing to relocate when I put in swivel pedestals.

So further questions/clarification on tuner programs- Are you saying the stock programing is decent enough not to mess with? Or a tuner program is a good/better thing? I went from a GM Silverado to the RAM to the Triton. If I had kept the trailer I would have gone back to GM with the 6.2L motor.
Old 05-26-2022, 11:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I will pull the entertainment center out of the cap this Winter and insulate. I have not yet decide best route.

I found jump start switch- it is mounted to base of drivers pedestal. There is an electronic box under driver's seat so I will have another thing to relocate when I put in swivel pedestals.

So further questions/clarification on tuner programs- Are you saying the stock programing is decent enough not to mess with? Or a tuner program is a good/better thing? I went from a GM Silverado to the RAM to the Triton. If I had kept the trailer I would have gone back to GM with the 6.2L motor.

My view is runner kits might harm durability. They have not been tested to the same quality standards as the original ECM.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:46 PM   #14

Quote:

Search the forum on the tuner. Lots of feedback on owner satisfaction - people are very happy with them.

You might want to start a separate thread asking for input.

No tuner here, I find my 306 hp V10 towing my GMC Acadia is good enough. Never going to change up a steep mountain grade at 65 even with a tuner but there are benefits!
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lexington, gts