Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2020, 05:34 AM   #21
Brake is on left

I'm a factory fan personally. Factory service techs are more expensive but generally worth it in the end. They also use MC parts and not generic parts house brand.
Can't say what it would cost without knowing what the code is. The parts alone in the fuel rail range from $85- $250 each.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:58 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexington 283 View Post
OK, you convinced me. I'll get it fixed

And, yes I HATE seeing that check engine light LIT

What shop is best to fix? Should I search out a Ford dealer to fix?

My regular Ford dealer does no work on RV's but there are other Ford dealerships nearby

Has anyone else had a fuel rail sensor go bad? How expensive was it to fix?
Can the shop that diagnosed it fix it? I don't know where this sensor is or how hard it is to get to but R&R the sensor itself is not a tough job.

2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:49 AM   #23

Lexington283,

Had a similar problem with check engine light on my 2006 Sunseeker back in 2007. Light came on 3 times and was "fixed" by a Route 66 each time.

Finally, after the 3rd time I went politely ballistic back to my dealer who sold me the service plan warranty and asked wtf.

Within 24 hours the Route 66 shop had taken the Sunseeker to a Ford dealer who services trucks and lo and behold they really did fix it, so far permanently.

I have most of the paperwork if you think that would help but what I remember well is theres a lot of components associated with the fuel rail and a particular code may warrant replacing more than one.

When we had the engine light come on there was no loss of power, unusual signs of any kind.

Moral of story, find a Ford dealer who services trucks, hopefully theres one near.

Just so happens I have my service records in the house, will look up what was replaced.

Oh, all my work was free under the Route 66 plan

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:07 AM   #24

Btw, we share the same powertrain, 6.8 liter V10.

Here are 3 screen shots of service records from the Route 66 shop. I will try to add them in chronological order but think the dates of service are visible and the one which mentions the Ford dealer is the final.

Today if I had to pay out of pocket I would do it. Replacing an engine is a lot worse.

Hope this helps. Try not to be dismayed maybe your situation is a simpler fix. Ford dealer was the key for me.

Chris Click image for larger version

Name:	20200709_065853.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	233520Click image for larger version

Name:	20200709_065922.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	233521Click image for larger version

Name:	20200709_065940.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	233522
Old 07-09-2020, 07:10 AM   #25

Disregard "Suncruiser" model on the service record. It's a Sunseeker.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:52 AM   #26

if you're mechanically inclined i don't think it would be that be of a job
Old 07-09-2020, 12:43 PM   #27

I took your advice and took MH to shop to get analyzed and fixed as I have no desire to buy an analyzer and see code for "fuel rail sensor defect"

When completed I will report findings and cost

Just gotta bite the bullet and get this squared away and pay the freight

BTW I've lost confidence in RV dealer mechanic who charges $175 per hour and has given me some incorrect info already ("Those hubcaps really only need one lock nut per cap")
Lexington 283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:02 PM   #28

You made the right decision. They documented replacing 4 parts on my check engine light, fewer may have actually been needed and less time wasted, and for you maybe less $. Notice I used 1 dollar sign.

That's the only time the rv has been to the Ford dealer.

Victor Ford, it's in Wauconda Illinois near the Camping World. There is a big Ford dealer in Milwaukee too that advertises they work on RV powertrains. I live in between them.

Chris
Old 07-09-2020, 01:04 PM   #29

I am thinking about $400. FYI Seafoam works and is a stabilizer. If you are worried about harming your engine use this.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-PM...74484511&psc=1
JPin AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:49 PM   #30

Never use SeaFoam in a vehicle that has O2 sensors. If you want to run an additive, get something with PEA(PolyEterAmine). Personally, I would just take it apart and clean it or replace components.

The motorcraft cleaner mentioned in the previous post has PEA.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:16 PM   #31

i don't think the fuel rail pressure sensor is able to be disassembled and cleaned
Old 07-09-2020, 06:47 PM   #32
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Never use SeaFoam in a vehicle that has O2 sensors.
Why not?
Old 07-09-2020, 08:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Why not?
Because a very large percentage of it is oil.

Funny how they changed their MSDS recently to hide the ingredients since everyone was talking about it for years on various forums. Naptha, Oil and isopropyl alcohol is all that's in there.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:37 PM   #34
Brake is on left

Quote:
Because a very large percentage of it is oil.

Funny how they changed their MSDS recently to hide the ingredients since everyone was talking about it for years on various forums. Naptha, Oil and isopropyl alcohol is all that's in there.
Yeah, pale oil. A really light oil. Increases burn temps in combustion chambers. I just don’t see why that is an issue. For one, Seafoam works for the intended uses. I have used it for decades to clean injectors both in and out of a system. I’ve bench cleaned many injectors using it mixed with E0 gasoline. Also cleaned up the tiny idle circuits in carbs too.
You know that most fuel additives have "proprietary petroleum blends" listed in their SDS sheets.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:01 PM   #35

check engine light

I had a problem with my check engine light. Every garage was replacing input and out put speed censors . Some of them installed the wrong ones. When my trans went it turned out that main code a P1000 was never looked at. Long story short there were ground problems and the PCM had to be replaced . The shop made new grounds. So please make sure that you have a shop that knows what they are doing. Also make sure that Ford censors are used, not after market.
steven skare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:39 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Yeah, pale oil. A really light oil. Increases burn temps in combustion chambers. I just don’t see why that is an issue. For one, Seafoam works for the intended uses. I have used it for decades to clean injectors both in and out of a system. I’ve bench cleaned many injectors using it mixed with E0 gasoline. Also cleaned up the tiny idle circuits in carbs too.
You know that most fuel additives have "proprietary petroleum blends" listed in their SDS sheets.
If you are going to put snake oil in, might as well use something that actually works like Polyetheramine. The only real solvent in Seafoam is Naptha. You can go to home Depot and dump that in at a fraction of the price.

I used to work for GM. Had talks with the guys at the proving grounds doing the ECM programming. They always would laugh about people putting that stuff in. It doesn't make the O2 sensors fail right away unless you do something stupid and put it straight into the intake system like some people do creating a white cloud of smoke. It however does decrease their life so not sure why you would want to do that.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:57 AM   #37

Prob got worse......and expensive

Reputable shop says fuel rail sensor and fuel pump are bad

Full tank of course. Just filled (55 gals)

So now we are talking big bucks for our 15 year old E450 but I feel, especially with RV demand due to virus, I could sell her and come out OK with under 50K and in otherwise immaculate condition.

Worth it? I think so. Thanks guys for pushing me to get this squared away.

Will report back. Gotta go get a loan......lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1211.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	353.0 KB
ID:	233597  
Lexington 283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:50 AM   #38
Brake is on left

Quote:
If you are going to put snake oil in, might as well use something that actually works like Polyetheramine. The only real solvent in Seafoam is Naptha. You can go to home Depot and dump that in at a fraction of the price.

I used to work for GM. Had talks with the guys at the proving grounds doing the ECM programming. They always would laugh about people putting that stuff in. It doesn't make the O2 sensors fail right away unless you do something stupid and put it straight into the intake system like some people do creating a white cloud of smoke. It however does decrease their life so not sure why you would want to do that.
Because it DOES work and (if done correctly) does not hurt a thing. I’ve proved it over and over. I gues you can have your opinion, and you are entitled to it. But I have built and torn down engines, carbs, transmissions and axles. In millions of miles I have replaced only one O2 sensor. And that car never had Seafoam in it.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:55 AM   #39
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexington 283 View Post
Reputable shop says fuel rail sensor and fuel pump are bad

Full tank of course. Just filled (55 gals)

So now we are talking big bucks for our 15 year old E450 but I feel, especially with RV demand due to virus, I could sell her and come out OK with under 50K and in otherwise immaculate condition.

Worth it? I think so. Thanks guys for pushing me to get this squared away.

Will report back. Gotta go get a loan......lol
What’s the damage? Around 1700 is my guess. If the rig is in good condition otherwise I would happily pay that over selling and getting another.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:31 AM   #40

The Evil Twin and Lexington283,

My earlier posts with pictures of my fuel rail and pump replacements was about $1700 so that is a pretty darn good estimate Evil Twin.

Lexington283,

Since we have the same year chassis, mines a Sunseeker, I thought I'd share my perspective. Btw, I've got 52,000 on my coach and it is very well maintained.

Last year I tried to sell it on the private market. Almost had it sold but for a buyer misunderstanding, being polite here, of their finances and financing.

We are 66 and 68. Could afford to trade and buy again but would rather put that money into other things, like home improvements. So, I upgrade my unit with amenities I've always wanted in a new unit. Lvp flooring, dual recliners, back up camera, satellite and more.

Except for auto levelers this coach fits our needs and I have no problem using the stabilizers either manually or with a speed socket. And, I know what I've got. I'll maintain what I've got. We all know even a new coach is going to be added onto, and need maintenance.

Everyone is different. I plunked down a lot of money last year on amenities ironically to now be sidelined by the virus as far as travel goes. My cousin who is also an RVer, and bought a new TT 2 years ago, is a little older, urged me to remodel as they sort of wished they hadn't made that investment. Happy with my decision but to each their own they say.

Chris

Tags
check, fuel, light