Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2017, 09:31 AM   #1

Cleaning Oxidation/Waxing difficult to reach parts of Lexington

When I bought my 2007 300S Lexington it had some oxidation on the camper, esp on the end caps and front aerodynamic faring. It has gotten worse over the past 2 years, and I would really like to take care of it. My problem at this point is reaching all of those hard to reach areas, especially the middle of the aerodynamic faring. Anyone have any hints or tools that might help with this?

Thanks!
Cindy
heb1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:04 PM   #2

Does your motor home have full body paint?
clhjsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:24 PM   #3

no, I don't think so.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:48 PM   #4

If your unit is mostly white with stickers it probably is not full body paint and I have not worked with the gel coat type of finish very much. Reading a few other threads it sounds like paint and gel coat oxidation removal is similar so this is what I did on my painted unit. I used a variable speed electric polisher using foam pads and used 3M "Perfect-It" compounds. They have a set with 3 compounds, rubbing compound, machine polish and ultrafine machine polish and the foam pads come with different abrasive levels with a different color pad for each of the compounds. You start with the most abrasive compound then onto the polish and finish with the ultrafine.
You can do this by hand but it is very labor intensive so the buffer is a must and in either case the work is up close and personal so it will be tough getting to the front cap. The issues I had were on the sides so I used a ladder but for the front cap I would try to find a scaffold or something similar or you may consider hiring a detailer.
clhjsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #5

We bought our 2010 Wildcat used last year and I decided it needed the de-oxidation/polish/wax treatment. I used Meguiar's Marine/RV products. After completing the entire 5th wheel I understood why professionals charge so much to do it. A LOT of wax-on wax-off resulting in bursitis in both shoulders, so I bought a radial polisher with wool applicators. WATCH OUT when using one on a ladder. They (at least for me) had the habit of grabbing on the surface and the torque of the polisher would try to throw me off the ladder. The worst part was the front cap with all it's curved and odd shaped surfaces. If you're on a tall step ladder, BE CAREFUL! Scaffolding would be a good idea if you can arrange it.

Short story long, short of hiring the work done, I don't think there's an easy way of doing it.
Pullrite #2700 Superslider
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 2X2 diesel
2016 - 41 days (2,800 miles)
2017 - 31 days (3,014 miles) So far
GeoDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #6

Try a simple method first

I tried Nufinish and a couple of other cleaner and waxes on my 1996 Coachmen Santara to get the dull faded buildup off. I just happened to have some McGuire's Quik Wax in the truck for touch up and tried. It fixed the problem with very little work and $10.00. I was very surprised.
Fiddler Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:03 PM   #7

To get to the front of mine i take 2 ladders and put on either side of the MH. I have 2
12 ft 4x4 i put across the steps and then i have some plywood made up and screw it to the 4x4. makes a nice little walk way . I can then get up and work on the front cap. I also make a cross brace and attatch to the ladder so they can not tip back. I have used the Meguires marine cleaner and deoxidizer first to get that cleaned up them Mequires flagship marine wax.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Judy View Post
To get to the front of mine i take 2 ladders and put on either side of the MH. I have 2
12 ft 4x4 i put across the steps and then i have some plywood made up and screw it to the 4x4. makes a nice little walk way . I can then get up and work on the front cap. I also make a cross brace and attatch to the ladder so they can not tip back. I have used the Meguires marine cleaner and deoxidizer first to get that cleaned up them Mequires flagship marine wax.
Now this is a good idea...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:32 AM   #9

I use a Porter Cable orbital buffer (Porter-Cable 4.5 Amp 6 in. Variable Speed Random Orbit Polisher-7424XP - The Home Depot ), Chemical Guys white pads (https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys...0GWBQWE62&th=1 ) and the Meguiar's products mentioned above.

I've tried the lamb's wool pads on the buffer, but they clog a little to quickly for my liking so I use a soft cloth by hand on my 2007 235. As to the cap I can reach to the middle of it from the ladder straddled over the mirrors.

The nice thing about the buffer and Chemical Guys pad is that you'd have to try really, really, hard to damage the surface of the RV.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:48 PM   #10

thanks so much for all the info - I'm going to get an estimate for professional detailing. I have a power polisher (given to me by my dad), but don't feel super safe doing the whole thing with the info above. I'm a 50 year old lady, and in pretty good shape, but don't need to be falling off a ladder!
Old 07-24-2017, 11:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by heb1024 View Post
When I bought my 2007 300S Lexington it had some oxidation on the camper, esp on the end caps and front aerodynamic faring. It has gotten worse over the past 2 years, and I would really like to take care of it. My problem at this point is reaching all of those hard to reach areas, especially the middle of the aerodynamic faring. Anyone have any hints or tools that might help with this?

Thanks!
Cindy
What you need is: Black & Decker Workhorse, an amazing tool to make a temporary scaffold.
HerveVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:47 PM   #12

I use a Black & Decker Workhorse to clean, shine the front cap of our 2012 Lexi 265DS. Handy tool for a 73 old man.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:53 PM   #13

I recently had the same issue. Front cap oxidized on my 2006 Lexi. I purchased a car wash brush extendable. Used Bar Keepers Friend (soft scrub) in a bottle. Worked amazing with little effort or scrubbing. Then over it gently with soap/water... rinse. For polish- I bought a sponge type mop that pivots, put a micro fiber cloth on it to apply, then changed out cloth to remove residue. Works like a charm. What I can't reach, I simply get on the roof and it's easy from marker lights up.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:49 PM   #14

I already said I was using a Black & Decker Workhorse to clean, shine the front cap of our 2012 Lexi 265DS.

Today, I found an alternate way to do (my workhorse is at my daughter place's), I used a 7 ft stepladder alongside the truck door and I put my second foot trough the open window on the opening near the mirror.

Found it quite easy and I am still 73. For sure DW was aside to help.

Tags
cleaning, lexington, parts, wax