Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2021, 03:44 PM   #1

Drivers side slide jamming

The driver side slide (the "couch" slide) on our 283ts is starting to "stick" when extending the slide, causing the clutch to slip. I can't figure out what's causing the resistance and I can't find access to the motor/gearing for that slide. The slide retracts ok but on at least one retraction I've heard a loud "pop" once the slide is completely retracted and the clutch is slipping.

Anyone have some ideas on where to look for the motor and what might be contributing to the resistance.

Dave
Old 02-05-2021, 10:26 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
I have not had any issues with our slides.

My first thought is something stuck in the seals. 2n is lubricate the seals and track.
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_wood View Post
The driver side slide (the "couch" slide) on our 283ts is starting to "stick" when extending the slide, causing the clutch to slip. I can't figure out what's causing the resistance and I can't find access to the motor/gearing for that slide. The slide retracts ok but on at least one retraction I've heard a loud "pop" once the slide is completely retracted and the clutch is slipping.

Anyone have some ideas on where to look for the motor and what might be contributing to the resistance.

Dave
If you post a photo of your slide mechanism, someone can probably identify the slide type and suggest where to look for the motor.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:25 PM   #4
MaPaChoo

The motor on our 2007 is in the center of the slide about 8 inches from the wall. there is a cross-shaft to the secondary slide gear perhaps it is loose and the motor is trying to do it all from one side. the motor access is under the coach there is a plate under the motor screwed into place and they foamed the heck out of it. we have not removed it acct no problems there yet. our slide platform does not have a cover so we can just remove the valance off the couch and look under the slide to see the cross-shaft and how its hooked up. Hope that helps.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:32 PM   #5

The motor of my dining slide is under the slide, not in the center of it. I can see it by looking under the slide from the inside. The access is by opening the ceiling of the outside compartment located under the slide. Not an easy access with some structure components making obstruction. Good luck!
Old 02-10-2021, 01:49 PM   #6

Here's the guy you need to contact.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...uy-224304.html
Be sure to give him as many details and as much information as you have. He's been good at replying.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
Here's the guy you need to contact.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...uy-224304.html
Be sure to give him as many details and as much information as you have. He's been good at replying.
Many thanks for the contact info!

Dave
Old 02-11-2021, 11:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_wood View Post
Many thanks for the contact info!

Dave

Come back later and let us know the solution. Thanks !
Old 03-17-2021, 11:18 PM   #9

Well -- turns out there were multiple problems with both the Sofa/Galley slideout (driver's side) and the dinette slideout (passenger side) Both slides needed to be removed and reinstalled. $$$$$

As a quick background, the slide mechanisms are built by Lippert and both are the "Above Floor" models as is the bedroom slide. While my Lex was in the shop, a 2010 Lex was brought in having similar issues. Its slide mechanisms were the same.

The driver's side slide is a dual-track system. It is oddly mounted so the slide rail tracks are not mounted in the center of the slide. The slide tracks are located under the couch in the forward portion of the slide. The slide has a load roller mounted under the galley section of the slide. It's apparent the factory never properly balanced the slide or adjusted the roller to take up the load of the galley area. The roller was located about 1.5 inches below the bottom of the slide. It should have been touching the bottom of the slide box taking up some of the load. As a result one of the slide rails had started to jam and lock up the slide. On occasion, the slide would exhibit a loud "POP" when being retracted. This turned out to be one of the drive gears skipping in the track! The slide was removed (they called it hyper-extended) properly balanced and the load roller was adjusted so the slide is now supported along its entire length.

The passenger side slide is a single rail version of the Above Floor Lippert mechanism. The rail is mounted in the middle of the slide pretty much directly under the dinette table. The slide has two rollers, each located at either end of the slide. The slide seemed to be dragging a bit but not enough to stall the clutch. Once we extended and looked at the underside of the slide, it was clear that both rollers had worn completely through the outer fiberglass skin and were chewing their way into the wood structure of the slide! This could have been completely eliminated if FR had designed the slide using the same dual-rail mechanism as the driver-side slide. The dinette components were removed, the slide was removed from the coach and aluminum plates were installed over the damaged areas. The rollers are now in contact with the aluminum plates hopefully eliminating the wear problem. The slide extends and retracts without any drag.

For those with older Lexingtons, you might want to extend the slides and have a look at where your rollers are located and identify any wear. The rollers can be found by sliding your hand under the lower slide gasket. Any wear from the rollers will be very apparent.

For those that own the 283ts you might also want to look at the plastic link "protection" that covers the propane and electrical supply lines that run from the coach chassis to the galley area. The plastic eventually breaks down and exposes the propane and electrical lines to the underside of the slide and chassis areas. I think the 283ts is the only version of the Lexington line to have a portion of the galley mounted on a slide.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:48 PM   #10

Thanks for the write up?
HDGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:39 PM   #11
MaPaChoo

Thanks for the follow-up I'll check ours out this weekend
Old 03-21-2021, 11:47 PM   #12

Very well described.

Thanks for posting the solution, it will help other Lexington's owners.

Tags
slide