Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #1

Electrical

Just joined the forum and was wondering if someone may be able to help. I have 2007 Lexington 300SS that I just purchased a couple of weeks ago.
We took it out for one night to a trailer park and had no problems. Used the hot water on propane. Had no other issues.
this weekend we went to a trailer park for three nights and the first night all was working until we turned the hot water on electric. The RV switched to the 12 volt battery power but we didn't notice this happening until the lights started to dim a couple hours later. Had some friends look at it and tried to reset the circuit breakers but they wouldn't reset. The next morning a neighbour came in and did reset them. Everything worked all day so the next day we tried the hot water heater on electric again and it tripped again. We couldn't get the circuit breakers to reset. Unforuntately we only had a 1/4 tank of gas so the generator wouldn't work so we had to use the battery charger to charge the batteries. We don't know where to look for this problem. If any one can help it would be very much appreciated.
rhealt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

to the Forums.

Sounds like the electric element in the water heater is shorted to ground. You should be able to get a replacement at Home Depot or Lowes. Be sure you get a 120 Volts type. Link provided below.

2000 Watt, 120 Volt Screw-In Water Heater Element-15120 at The Home Depot

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply and we will check that for sure. We did hear the element still on today when that happened.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #4

Where you running this off of a generator or power off the pole?

also check to see if any of the wires are nicked or touching which would also cause it to keep tripping the breaker.
Did you have anything else running in the camper or just the hot water heater?

I have camped at a site that kept popping the 30 amp breaker at the pole so I switch from 50 amp to 30 amp and never had a problem with the outside popping the breaker.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #5

We were off the pole and had an oil filled electric heater on. I guess we will need to try it again to see if it was to much on the breaker. Thanks