Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2020, 04:40 AM   #1

Full tank ---- Should I add Stabil?

After new fuel pump was added, I have 55 gals of fresh gas (full tank)

This is 2005 Lex 283 with 49,800

We start engine, gen and overhead AC every 10 days and run 10 mins while in storage

Since gas gets stale, should I add Stabil to full tank? How much?

We get out with her but only short trips (70 miles round trips) since covid

Thanks------Great forum------I've leaned so much in three months since purchasing Lex 283 (Ford 6.8 L GAS V-10)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1216.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	368.7 KB
ID:	233941  
Lexington 283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:40 AM   #2

I don’t know if you necessarily need it, but adding Stabil wouldn’t hurt anything and it would ensure you won’t have any fuel problems.

Bruce
Old 07-15-2020, 09:31 AM   #3

Lexington283,

We have the same model year powertrain and had the same parts replaced to fix the check engine light issue, 13 years ago.

I drive my unit for an hour, at least, once every 2 weeks during the camping season. Fuel up with fresh fuel as soon as you can.

I store our unit from early November through early March without starting. A full tank of gas to prevent condensation.

Never used a fuel stabilizer.

Here is what your Ford Owners Manual has to say about fuel additives. A scan of stabilizers yielded no results. However, you should check with a Ford dealer not just an ASE Certified Mechanic, on what if any fuel stabilizer you can or should use.

Chris Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200715-091725_Drive.jpeg
Views:	249
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	233949
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:41 AM   #4

I live with Stabil. Mower, Snowblower, Golf Cart, ATV, UTV. Snowblower sits all summer with a full treated tank of gas....fires up every fall. Mower sits all winter with a full treated tank...fires up every spring. Cart, ATV, UTV may sit for a month or so at cabin. They always start right up without problem.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:11 AM   #5

Seafoam Fuel Additive

I use Seafoam Fuel Additive in all my small engines when stored for more than 4 to 6 weeks. I also pour a can in my Ford F150, GMC Acadia and will start putting it in the FR3 come this fall. Does the same thing as Stabil plus helps keep carbs and or fuel injectors clean. If you are only sitting for two or three weeks, I agree it does not hurt, but I am not sure it is needed. I used Stablil in my generator which end up sitting for 2 1/2 years. I was quite amazed when I installed a new starter battery in, hit the start button and that thing came alive. I was sure at that point fuel stabilizers in long term storage was worth it.
Winddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:28 AM   #6

If I anticipate 6 months of storage, I’ll use Stabil, otherwise I don’t bother. To treat 55 gallons of gasoline, you’ll need 22 ounces of Stabil. Stabil has jacked their price way up in recent years. I greatly reduced my use of Stabil and since found that it really made no difference whether I used it or not. Untreated fuel works just fine in fuel injected engines. The engine medic in a bottle products are, in my opinion, largely a waste of money.

For carbureted engines like the generator, my practice is to run them out of fuel at the last use. If you don’t leave fuel in the carb bowl, they don’t gum up. Engines can be stored for years with no fuel in the carb, and they’ll start right up when you need them.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:17 AM   #7

One of the biggest problems with gasoline is the fact it's comprised of liquids of variable volatility. Some of it evaporates more quickly than other parts. Unfortunately the part that evaporates quickly is the part that helps a cold engine start easily.

Stabil doesn't do anything to prevent the evaporation of these "light" components. It will help reduce oxidation that makes gasoline eventually smell terrible but that takes a lot longer than the evaporation.

For those that use it and have no problems, can the success really be attributed to the Stabil? Personally I've never used it and have had motorcycles, mowers, and other small power equipment sit for a year or two with "old" gas in the tank. Might take an extra effort to start it the first time but if I add some fresh gas they all started quicker than the last time I tried.

Like everything else in life, it's your choice. Some use it and swear by it. Others don't and for some reason everything works just fine.

FWIW, gasoline sold today is definitely not the stuff that was sold when many (if not most) of us were kids. Today's cars won't tolerate the issues with gasoline that an old 1949 ford flathead with a 2-barrel carburetor could.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:20 AM   #8

I store each of my boats for 6 months during the off season. I don't use a stabilizer in either of them. Never had issues and fuel in each is E10.

Personally, running an engine at idle for 10 mins every 10 days is doing more harm than good. You are not getting the engine up to full operating temperature, you are introducing condensation into the crankcase that you are not burning off. If you want to do something better, take it out for a drive for 30 minutes every month or two. Make sure everything gets up to full operating temperature.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:32 AM   #9

Use a fuel stabilizer, Stabil for instance, where the manufacturer tells you to.

See my earlier post on what the Ford Owners manual has to say.

The first reference material to consult is your owners manual. The second reference to consult is factory trained service personnel. In this case it is the Ford dealer which services commercial vehicles. Use the internet if you can find what your looking for.

The OP is rightly concerned about prevention of another check engine light occurence.

I use Stabil in my snow blowers and my lawn tractor. My JD D130 manual says to always use gas treated with a fuel stabilizer, not just for storage.

It all depends your vehicle, they are all different.

It's a lot like the differences in how car makers specify changing transmission fluid. Some specify draining, others power flush. You just cant follow a practice blindly.

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:16 PM   #10

Stabil and keeping tank full after using is your best bet... neither can hurt and Stabil is cheap... use according to the directions on the package.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:23 PM   #11

My 2 cents would use non ethanol gas. This will help with water condensation.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:30 PM   #12

Ethanol is the problem

Gas with ethanol can be detrimental to small engine performance if left stored for a long period. The ethanol gums up the injectors or jets and causes starting problems.
I've found that StaBil eliminates this problem. I put it in all of my smaller engines such as my generator, chainsaw, lawnmower, ect.
If you drive your vehicles on a regular basis, it probably isn't needed, but if you are not driving them for weeks at a time, then I would add the StaBil.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:07 PM   #13
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by db7512 View Post
Here's a website that lists stations that sell e-free gas.

https://www.pure-gas.org/
Old 07-15-2020, 01:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by db7512 View Post
Actually, ethanol gas prevents water condensation since the ethanol absorbs all the water. The only issue occurs when the ethanol get saturated which is extremely rare even in marine applications.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky310 View Post
Gas with ethanol can be detrimental to small engine performance if left stored for a long period. The ethanol gums up the injectors or jets and causes starting problems.
I've found that StaBil eliminates this problem. I put it in all of my smaller engines such as my generator, chainsaw, lawnmower, ect.
If you drive your vehicles on a regular basis, it probably isn't needed, but if you are not driving them for weeks at a time, then I would add the StaBil.
If that were really the case, my boats that sit for 6 months with E10 gas would have issues...they don't and I don't use any stabilizer. One has a carb and the other is fuel injected.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I don’t know if you necessarily need it, but adding Stabil wouldn’t hurt anything and it would ensure you won’t have any fuel problems.

Bruce
Ensure is a strong word but it will improve chances.

I've had motorcycles and other things still Gunk up even with stabil in the gas.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:29 PM   #17

before I leave 4345 months I put non-ethanol stabilized gas into my 1994 Toyota Previa and I've never had trouble starting it when I return. I use non ethanol gas with stabilizer in all of my little engines that are carburetor equipped and they run just fine. my 2 cents....
wecoopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:30 PM   #18

That should have read for three, four, five months
wecoopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:35 PM   #19

Stabil is good. I used to use it it for boat storage with a full tank of gas and never had a problem. My boat used to sit for 4 or 5 months. But now I use Startron everytime I put gas in my boat which many people say is better than Stabil. I also put in my gas for lawn mowers, weed eater and chain saw.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:07 PM   #20

Startron is the only thing I trust to combat the storage affects of ethanol fuel.

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment Gas Additive Small Engine Read and decide yourself.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank