Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2021, 10:17 PM   #1

Generator needed?

The used MH we are buying is having generator problems, how vital is it to have a working generator? The majority of the time we plan to be plugged in, maybe a day or night while travelling to the next destination.

And to add to the situation. We were to pick up the unit two weeks ago but decided to wait on a part for the heater to be installed. During this wait a generator issue popped up and we are waiting to see how bad that is before we take it home. Also another dealer began selling the same year/model with a few thousand miles for more. The price we are paying is about 10K less than the sales price of the other unit.
OkieFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:31 PM   #2

You didn’t mention what the generator problem is, but to answer the question, yes, I would want the generator to be working. We don’t use our generator often, but while in travel mode it is very useful. Want to cool the RV down with the A/C, or cook with the microwave during a stopover at a rest area or during “camping” at Walmart? The generator sure is nice to have, very nice to have.

I’m guessing many generator problems are simply due to old gasoline left in the carburetor during periods of non use.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:47 PM   #3

I do not know what the problem is, a part was ordered and that did not fix it. The dealer is sending it to Cummings to have it fixed, if it is not too expensive. If it can be fixed they will cover the cost, if not we will discuss whether or not we are buying the unit.
Old 03-13-2021, 12:31 AM   #4

You don't actually 'need' a generator if you're going to be plugged in most of the time. The only time you'd need it would be if you need 110v and you're not plugged in.... like an overnight in a parking lot. Then you'd need a generator to run the rig and keep the house batteries charged.

Before you make the final decision, find out how much it would cost to replace that generator. That would be the worst case scenario and it might be worth it to purchase the rv and replace it later.
Old 03-13-2021, 01:09 AM   #5

If you ever find yourself in a Texas style power blackout for days/weeks, you will be glad you have a working generator in the RV! I've always considered my RV to be my safe haven if the excrement ever hits the ventilation device severely.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:28 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies. We are hoping that it is not a major problem with the generator, we will find out next week. Since this is our first venture into the RV lifestyle we were trying to figure out how big of a deal the generator not working would be.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:03 AM   #7

I doubt that the generator problem is a $10K issue. If the RV you have a contract on is satisfactory in other ways, fix the generator.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:09 PM   #8

I agree that it is not a 10K issue, I actually believe their is seller's remorse.
Old 03-13-2021, 03:36 PM   #9

Oops, I used the wrong there in the last reply. Should have waited to be out of the meeting so I could proof read my comments.
Old 03-13-2021, 03:48 PM   #10

When it comes to "fixing" generators it's often not a real exensive proposition. It's merely a matter of getting it to the people who KNOW how to fix it.

If the Dealer is sending it to Cummins that's a good sign.

The Dealer should cover it but if you have to pay a few $$ too, I'd go for it if you like the MH.

Today, a generator is almost required equipment when camping with MH or TT. You never know when you won't be able to "plug in" and for how long. Whether a small portable or onboard generator, they are definitely more than just luxury items.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:49 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Generators are convenient, but far from required. We can run our heat 2-3 nights on battery in 50deg weather or 1 night in 30 degree weather. In warmer weather we can run 3-4 days on battery - lights and water pump, we replaced all the bulbs with LEDs.
If you drive your RV everyday, the house battery will stay charged. At that point only the AC and Microwave require the generator. All that being said it's nice to have and worth a few bucks to get fixed.
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:05 PM   #12

Just to update everybody the dealer called today and the generator has been repaired. We pick up the unit Saturday.

2007 FR Lexington 255DS
Old 03-22-2021, 11:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieFM View Post
Just to update everybody the dealer called today and the generator has been repaired. We pick up the unit Saturday.
Excellent! Congratulations!
Old 03-23-2021, 08:21 AM   #14

Welcome to the Lexington club! I hope you enjoy using yours as much as we enjoy ours.
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
Old 03-23-2021, 08:28 AM   #15

@OkieFM - Can you share what Cummins found to be the issue/cause? On my tractors, most of the time it was the injector pump that failed, a plugged return line or even the fuel pump. So curious minds would like to know.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:45 AM   #16

I believe the carburetor was replaced. I was too happy that it was fixed and it wasn't going to cost me money, to pay attention to the problem I will know for sure when I pick it up.

2007 FR Lexington 255DS
Old 03-23-2021, 08:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieFM View Post
I believe the carburetor was replaced. I was too happy that it was fixed and it wasn't going to cost me money, to pay attention to the problem I will know for sure when I pick it up.

One thing I found after not being able to get the generator to run well: there is an altitude dial behind some of the wires, it was at 7000ft, set it to 1000ft and surprise-it runs great.
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
Old 03-24-2021, 06:47 PM   #18

The importance of a generator depends on how you travel and location. We’re in Texas. For instance, it’s fairly important to us because when we travel long distances, we generally stay the night in places other than RV parks as we pass through. Other times, we like to boondock. Another way we use it is when we stop for groceries and leave the pups in the Motorhome (in Texas the AC is really important). However, when we travel North (like Colorado or Montana) and do the same things, we rarely turn on the generator in the summer time, just run the fantastic fans. My friends in Seattle and CA opted for no generators and a couple opted for no A/C because of the great weather there. So, its really a question of your travel lifestyle that will dictate the importance of a generator.

Tags
generator