Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2020, 09:15 PM   #1

Getting to know you, getting to know all about you...

So......

We've had our Lex for a few months and taken it out for a few excursions. Our previous RVs were a pick-up camper made by Lance, A Coleman Niagra Pop-Up tent trailer, and a Cameo 26FLS travel trailer made by Comfort. None of those were as "interesting" as this RV. There is a lot to figure out.

One of the issues we were told about by the former owner was that the electric step wasn't functional. It's currently tied back and we are using an aerobics step that about the same width as the entry steps to get in the coach. If I pull off the straps currently holding the step in the "stowed" position, it freely moves to about a "mid" deployment position. It seems as though the motor has snapped an internal gear.

The manual I have indicates this step is manufactured by Lippert. In looking at the motor part number it looks like it is a Lippert Components 301695. Can anyone confirm that's the proper part number? Has anyone suffered a similar step failure?

I note in the installation guide there's supposed to be a power on/off. I have a control panel located close to the entry step that has no labeling. I know what two of the three switches do. See the attached image. The middle of the three doesn't seem to affect anything. Might this be the power switch for the step?

Thanks for any insight.

(Apologies to Julie Andrews/Sound of Music)

Dave.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201119_001437066.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	393.4 KB
ID:	243299  
Old 11-19-2020, 10:53 PM   #2

What year is your Lexi ?

Should add it to your signature.

On FR forums someones said that they found a replacement motor for the steps at used auto parts shop (electric window motor) for few peanuts.

Our Lexi do not have moving steps, can't help with the switch.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerveVR View Post
What year is your Lexi ?

Should add it to your signature.

-----Already done - thanks for the suggestion

On FR forums someones said that they found a replacement motor for the steps at a used auto parts shop (electric window motor) for few peanuts.

Our Lexi does not have moving steps, can't help with the switch.
I took a gamble and purchased what I think is the proper motor (used,- like new)on Amazon for about 60.00$. I have the install manual from Lippert. The install manual seems to have a pretty good troubleshooting guide. Once the motor gets here, I figure I'll get intimately familiar with the electric step circuits.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:32 AM   #4
MaPaChoo

Our 2007 283 GTS Step is an SCS/Frigette coach step p/n 733-0001 if you type it in google etrailer kicks out your part #LC301695 as the motor and LC 301696 as the gear hope that helps. Here is the link https://www.etrailer.com/question-210569.html
Old 11-28-2020, 08:22 PM   #5

Step Motor Replacement

Got the new step motor installed today. The step on my 283TS GTS is a single
step Lippert Series 23.

The only video I found on the inter-web that gives you a clue as to how to get the job done can be found here:

A few notes should someone else on the Lexington forum need to perform a motor swap:

1) The step motor I received from Amazon, https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 while supposedly from Lippert, had mounting holes that were a smaller diameter than the 10 mm bolts mounting bolts that came out of the step/old motor. Apparently, Lippert knows that quite a few of these were shipped from their supplier. I needed to drill these out to fit the bolts. If you have to drill the holes out, make sure you drill at least 1 to 2 drill step sizes larger than the diameter of the bolts

2) The video doesn't explain that getting the bolts threaded into the mounting holes in the step is a struggle. The reason to drill the holes out a couple of drill step sizes larger than the bolts is so you'll have a small amount of "wiggle" room in the step motor body in order to allow the bolts to grab the nuts on the other side of the step. The position of the mounting holes was extremely tight and there wasn't much room to get the bolts started.

3) As mentioned in the video, you'll need to snug up the bolts in small amounts as the clearances are tight enough to cause the motor to slightly tilt and jam if only one bolt is tightened at a time.

4) I pulled the fuse for the step motor located in the battery control center box located next to the house batteries before I started. There's no mention of it in the video and as soon as the steps get 12v power they will extend out to the deployed position. I figured I didn't want to be anywhere close to the step when it moved. BTW -- as mentioned by one of the posters in the Youtube comments section, the steps don't need to be set in any particular position when you start mounting the motor and engaging the gears.

The center control switch in the photo I attached in the original post is the step power control toggle. Once I got the step motor installed and operational I found out the screen door is controlling the step deployment. I figured it would be the main door.

Figure about 2 to 2.5 hours from start to finish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201019_210122018.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	435.9 KB
ID:	243820   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201019_210140397.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	243821  
Old 05-20-2021, 07:26 PM   #6
BC2

You have a manusl for your Lexington? I didn’t think there were manuals. Where did you get it?
BC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 04:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC2 View Post
You have a manual for your Lexington? I didn’t think there were manuals. Where did you get it?
It came as part of the documentation that the previous owner had assembled. Based on the Class A and Class C RV illustrations on the front, I'd say the manual was written in the 80s and has about as much usefulness as a carton of unused milk from the same time frame.

Dave