Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2020, 04:43 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Winter Haven, Florida
Posts: 60
How much draw on batts while cooling fridge?

Lexington 283......2005......recently acquired

At storage site, I'm not able to plug in

In order to cool down fridge overnight, prior to a trip, how much draw is it on my batteries?

Thanks, I'm new

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1211.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	353.0 KB
ID:	230522  
__________________

Lexington 283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:56 AM   #2
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 21,626
RV fridge or residential fridge? On propane or not?
would help if you posted make and model number of fridge.
__________________

__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:17 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Winter Haven, Florida
Posts: 60
Dometic RV Fridge (Original in MH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
RV fridge or residential fridge? On propane or not?
would help if you posted make and model number of fridge.
Yes, run on propane in order to cool fridge prior to trip

Model number unknown

Will running of this fridge & freezer on propane draw down my coach batts?

Thank you
Lexington 283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:41 AM   #4
Kanadian Kamper
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,853
Problem is compounded by not knowing how long your Lexington has been sitting (unplugged) since the last time your batteries got a full charge.

Youíre asking how much your fridge will draw in order to cool prior to a trip but your starting voltage will be?...........

If this is going to be a regular procedure, you may have to invest in some solar power to help keep your batteries at their prime.
__________________

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S
and only sometimes pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:50 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Chuck_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 1,298
LP refrigerator requires very little 12vDC power (mine draws a measured 120 milliamps) and if the power fails they usually keep running on the last mode. If the frig starts it should keep running, it's just a little flame.

You'll find out how it worked in the morning.

-- Chuck
__________________
2006 Roo 23SS behind a 2017 Ford Expedition
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:53 AM   #6
Brake is on left
 
The Evil Twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 543
If your batteries are in good to excellent condition then 24 hours will be no issue at all on a propane fridge. We regularly let the fridge go 24 hours before we leave and often when we get home. The meter still shows a charge in the good range when we roll. The key is having a good, charged battery at the beginning.
The Evil Twin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:45 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 7,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
If your batteries are in good to excellent condition then 24 hours will be no issue at all on a propane fridge. We regularly let the fridge go 24 hours before we leave and often when we get home. The meter still shows a charge in the good range when we roll. The key is having a good, charged battery at the beginning.
If all you're running is the propane fridge the battery(s) should last a lot more than 24 hours. The refrigerator control board is one of the least power hungry items in an RV.

It's the propane that does the work so just make sure the tank(s) have plenty.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:01 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Near Pittsburgh Pa
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
If all you're running is the propane fridge the battery(s) should last a lot more than 24 hours. The refrigerator control board is one of the least power hungry items in an RV.

It's the propane that does the work so just make sure the tank(s) have plenty.
But while you are sort of correct.... you forgot to tell the person that while in this condition he is also powering the carbon monoxide and smoke detectors and due to this the batteries may last 3-5 depending on condition and starting charge. If you isolated it to the PC board in the fridge only, it may last a couple weeks. I know when I bought my camper last year I was shocked to discover that the single battery installed was not good to go a long weekend with no power. As a new camper buyer... I just assumed that these things were set up for camping over a weekend and living entirely off of the battery and water tank. Then reality hit.
__________________

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Semperfi24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 617
The fridge would probably not draw down the batteries, making the assumption they are good batteries and fully charged. The problem you will have will be all of the "other" things in the RV that also run on the 12V side.

If I were you, my solution would be to get a portable solar kit. Doesnt have to be large. Just one panel to trickle charge the battery. Wire it directly to the battery. That is what we do in our storage lot. One panel that is 12"X30", wired to a controller, then to the battery. We never have to worry about dead batteries, and it is plenty for us to turn the system on ahead of departure without concern. When we are ready to leave, unhook the panel and store it.
__________________

_________________________
2019 Ford F250 Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke
2020 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 287BH
Semperfi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:23 AM   #10
Brake is on left
 
The Evil Twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
If all you're running is the propane fridge the battery(s) should last a lot more than 24 hours. The refrigerator control board is one of the least power hungry items in an RV.

It's the propane that does the work so just make sure the tank(s) have plenty.
Of course. Though, my reply was to the OPs question about "overnight" use.
The Evil Twin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:34 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 5,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Of course. Though, my reply was to the OPs question about "overnight" use.
Now I know you have been on the forum long enough to realize you have to very precise in your wording to avoid being nitpicked
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:20 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 7,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry0071 View Post
But while you are sort of correct.... you forgot to tell the person that while in this condition he is also powering the carbon monoxide and smoke detectors and due to this the batteries may last 3-5 depending on condition and starting charge. If you isolated it to the PC board in the fridge only, it may last a couple weeks. I know when I bought my camper last year I was shocked to discover that the single battery installed was not good to go a long weekend with no power. As a new camper buyer... I just assumed that these things were set up for camping over a weekend and living entirely off of the battery and water tank. Then reality hit.

Agreed, the LPG detector will also be running and perhaps the smoke detectors if wired in series and in several rooms but most RV smoke detectors I've encountered use individual batteries. CO detectors are more often than not integrated into the LPG detector on units built in recent years..

That said, I have actually measured all the power drawn by refrig, LPG detector and even the stereo "Memory" current. All consume only milliamps of current and my battery monitor shows only 4 watts of current draw, max.

That works out to less than 8 amp hours over a 24 hour period.

In short, even a small, undercharged, or aged battery, should easily run the refrigerator for more than 24 hours.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:34 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Chuck_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 1,298
Measured amperage draw (my Roo).

LP detector and radio memory: 150 milliamps (These are hard wired to the battery.)
LP refrigerator: 120 milliamps

Total: 270 milliamps (0.27 amps).

As long as the LP detector isn't screaming from low voltage this should work.

-- Chuck
__________________
2006 Roo 23SS behind a 2017 Ford Expedition
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:06 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 10
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexington 283 View Post
Lexington 283......2005......recently acquired

At storage site, I'm not able to plug in

In order to cool down fridge overnight, prior to a trip, how much draw is it on my batteries?

Thanks, I'm new

Jerry
We sort of had a rule of thumb with our rig. Running the typical 12 volt items we could go for most of three days before we had to recharge the house batteries. As I understand the most current is the draw by two solenoids one for the actual gas flow and the other for safety if and when the pilot light goes out allowing the gas to continue to flow. In order to accomplish this we made sure that we had only led lighting for their low current draw. We were equipped with two 6 volt batteries.
jjtotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:03 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtotten View Post
We sort of had a rule of thumb with our rig. Running the typical 12 volt items we could go for most of three days before we had to recharge the house batteries. As I understand the most current is the draw by two solenoids one for the actual gas flow and the other for safety if and when the pilot light goes out allowing the gas to continue to flow. In order to accomplish this we made sure that we had only led lighting for their low current draw. We were equipped with two 6 volt batteries.
If you can plug it in do that overnight and run the fridge on electric. When you unplug it should automaticly switch to propane. Battery wise you can go weeks n just propane it is the other draws that get your battery down.
slgjeg435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:16 PM   #16
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 21,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by slgjeg435 View Post
If you can plug it in do that overnight and run the fridge on electric. When you unplug it should automaticly switch to propane. Battery wise you can go weeks n just propane it is the other draws that get your battery down.
The OP stated this in the first post:

"At storage site, I'm not able to plug in"
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:49 PM   #17
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Family room couch
Posts: 1,460
It really depends on the fridge model. Norcold four-door units (at least) have a heater element for the door. That can draw a lot of current if the fridge thinks those heaters need to run. Some people have put tape across the door contacts to save battery power.

A friend with a Norcold 18 cubic foot four-door fridge measured 3 amps of current flow without the door heaters. He barely could run the fridge overnight on batteries.

Ray
__________________
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:59 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 7,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
It really depends on the fridge model. Norcold four-door units (at least) have a heater element for the door. That can draw a lot of current if the fridge thinks those heaters need to run. Some people have put tape across the door contacts to save battery power.

A friend with a Norcold 18 cubic foot four-door fridge measured 3 amps of current flow without the door heaters. He barely could run the fridge overnight on batteries.

Ray
Residential type with compressor or an RV type using LPG when not on shore power?

HUGE difference.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:02 PM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 12,090
As you have seen, there is no 'standard' answer.

Every make/model refrigerator draws current from the battery in different amounts.
The refrigerator control doesn't use a lot of battery but the door heaters and fans can use more current. (mine has two door heaters and 4 fans!)

And then on a 2005 there is the question of what condition the battery is in, how much charge capacity it has when firing up the refrigerator and what other parasitic draws are on the battery as well.

Without an amperage test and knowing the battery capacity we are all just guessing.
If you are not able to figure those numbers in advance, just try it and see.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=83
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:51 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
NCBBA11043's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 204
On a side note . . .

If you are at a commercial storage site, they may prohibit you from running any appliances on LP. It's a liability thing...
__________________

__________________
2015 Silverado 3500HD CC Long Bed Diesel
2016 Silverback 33IK
NCBBA11043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cooling, fridge

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 PM.


×