Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2015, 10:15 AM   #1

Looking at a 2006 255DSF

Hi,
We've owned three motorhomes (not Forest River) over the years, and we're looking at possibly buying a 2006 255DSF. It has a bit less than 9,000 miles on it. That sounds good, however lack of use is sometimes worse than lots of use. Are there any problems unique to this model year?
NADA low retail is $22,610 and NADA average retail is $27,251. NADA values are sometimes less than realistic. What is a realistic price for this motorhome? I know that a realistic price depends on condition, condition, condition. The private-party seller describes it as "like new". Your thoughts?
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:56 AM   #2

With those few miles on it, it tells you that it sat most of it's 9 years. Almost certain it probably has the original tires, which means you'll have to spend $1200 to $1500 for a GOOD (meaning safe) for tires right off the bat. Add to that changing out all the chassies fluids, belts, hoses, ect (not because of milage, but because of age), thats another bunch of bucks. Then there's the wear items on the coach itself, like slide seals and baggage door gaskets that may or may not be good.
Check the generator and the # of hours it's been run. Generally it's good to run the genny on a regular basis, under 1/2 load to keep it operating properly. I run mine every 2-3 weeks for and hour or so. A genny with really low hours over a 9 year period may or may not need service, which can be expensive.
Check and recheck and re-re check the inside for leaks, get up on the roof and check for cracks/gaps in the caulking that may mean leaks. If the rig just sat most of the time, what type of maintaince and preventative maintaince would the owner have been motivated to do.
So, your at $2000-$2500 before you take your first trip. And thats taking into consideration that all the systems on the rig are in good working condition. Lack of use also plays havoc with rubber chassies bushings.
You could probably start on the middle area of what NADA lists, always bringing up the items that will need to be replaced, and the cost.
Have the owner hook up water and elec. to test the systems, and check the fridg for operation on elec and gas. Appliances for these things are expensive, an ac unit can run $600-$1000, a fridge will set you back a grand. Fans, tv's, range, water pump, ect. all can go with lack of use and no maintaince. Water check the faucets and tanks for leaks.
Just depends on what kind of condition the rig is REALLY in. Just because it LOOKS like new dosen't meen bupkis.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:15 PM   #3
FLORIDA F.R.O.G.

Lexie Purchase...

I have a 2006 Lexie 255 GTS. I have done a lot to it because that's the way I roll. I love my unit and have had all the way up to a 45' Travel Supreme Select quad slide. (Too damn big!!!) This little baby is one of the few that has an actual bedroom in a coach this size. One of the reasons we grabbed it. It handles like a sports car! Grump0374 is right about the issues due to sitting. But much of that would be things you may wish to do even on a 4 year old if it got used for 9K miles and has sat since... Consider that an investment towards trouble free ownership! All these things are sticks & staples, but overall, I am happy with the quality for the low purchase price. I have recently added a Theater Seating loveseat from Camping World (dreamy!), ceramic tile replacing all the vinyl, LED lighting throughout, etc. I now consider it my mini Prevost! I also agree with Grumpy about hitting the mid point or a bit less on your offer. But if you are looking for a compact coach that offers features of a much larger unit, this series is great!!!
Rick Smith
RickLSmith53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:28 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. Still in the "shopping" mode. We have a Class B Pleasure-Way, but want to get something a bit larger.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags