Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2021, 02:18 PM   #1

New to Forum - 2004 Lexington 270

Hello,

We've had our RV about 2 months now. The first trip was a disaster. Probably a bit to ambitious, after picking up the RV, 1 week later we embarked on a 500 mile road trip to race at Hallett towing the MGB race car on a lightweight open trailer. About 100 miles in, we had a dually tire blow out on I35 and got it serviced but decided to return home as the spare was mismatched to the rest of the tires. I bought a new set of 6 tires and found another wheel so now I have 2 spares and all the tools required to change them myself on the road.

Anyways, we did another short 1 hour trip to our local racetrack 3 weeks later and it towed the 16ft box trailer fine. The weekend was good but it appears the house batteries are not charging off either a ground line or the generator, but they did charge up a bit on the drive back (engine alternator charging them I suppose). I think the power converter may be bad and I've read on this forum there may be some inline breakers or fuses so I'll check there first.

So, we bought it from McClain's RV and it was "as-is". There was really no documentation on what to do or how to work all the systems, and there are 2 switches just inside the door that have no marking and I really can't tell what they're for. I think 1 is for the step, but it doesn't make a difference whether it's on or off the step goes in and out every time you open/close the door. The other switch I think is for the inverter? Can't figure out what it does and doesn't seem to make much difference if it's on or off.

I'd be very appreciative if anyone with a 2003-2005 Lexington could let me know the basics of what systems do what. Also if anyone knows where to check first for the power converter/house charger in-line fuses/circuit breakers would save me some investigative work.

Thanks, Trevor
Bondracer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:08 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!

There's a lot of Lexington experience in the group. If you can post some pictures of the controls and switches you need help with I'll bet someone can identify what they do.

Dave
Old 05-18-2021, 12:39 AM   #3

We don't have a Lexington, but there's usually a box containing fuses/circuit breakers near the floor somewhere in the rig. Ours is a 'push to open.'
If your battery disconnect is 'off', the battery will not charge from the campsite or the generator. That switch is also near the door of our rig. The way to test it is to change the switch and then see if the lights go on in the rig. If the lights do not turn on, the house battery is disconnected.
One of our switches near the door is for the steps. If the steps are extended, turning on that switch will keep the steps from retracting every time the door is open or closed. The default is for the steps to go out as the door is opened as a safety factor. If the steps are in, using the switch won't keep the steps in when the door is open.
Of course, since we don't have your rig, things might operate differently and these rigs don't come with owners manuals.
Old 05-19-2021, 02:51 PM   #4

Update - think I have switches figured out

I messed around with it last night and found the wires under the passenger seat were disconnected probably from the swivel action. I reattached them and now the switches inside the door appear to be the step (outboard switch) and the exterior light (inboard switch). I turn off the step switch when the door is open and the step stays out when I close the door.
I have the house batteries on charge and tonight I'll see if either the generator or house 110 will provide charge to them. I'm not really optimistic that will fix the charging problem too but it might I suppose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9272.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	254920   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9266.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	254921   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9008.jpg
Size:	391.9 KB
ID:	254922   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8658.jpg
Size:	670.6 KB
ID:	254923  
Bondracer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondracer7 View Post
Hello,

We've had our RV about 2 months now. The first trip was a disaster. Probably a bit to ambitious, after picking up the RV, 1 week later we embarked on a 500 mile road trip to race at Hallett towing the MGB race car on a lightweight open trailer. About 100 miles in, we had a dually tire blow out on I35 and got it serviced but decided to return home as the spare was mismatched to the rest of the tires. I bought a new set of 6 tires and found another wheel so now I have 2 spares and all the tools required to change them myself on the road.

Anyways, we did another short 1 hour trip to our local racetrack 3 weeks later and it towed the 16ft box trailer fine. The weekend was good but it appears the house batteries are not charging off either a ground line or the generator, but they did charge up a bit on the drive back (engine alternator charging them I suppose). I think the power converter may be bad and I've read on this forum there may be some inline breakers or fuses so I'll check there first.

So, we bought it from McClain's RV and it was "as-is". There was really no documentation on what to do or how to work all the systems, and there are 2 switches just inside the door that have no marking and I really can't tell what they're for. I think 1 is for the step, but it doesn't make a difference whether it's on or off the step goes in and out every time you open/close the door. The other switch I think is for the inverter? Can't figure out what it does and doesn't seem to make much difference if it's on or off.

I'd be very appreciative if anyone with a 2003-2005 Lexington could let me know the basics of what systems do what. Also if anyone knows where to check first for the power converter/house charger in-line fuses/circuit breakers would save me some investigative work.

Thanks, Trevor

You wrote: There was really no documentation on what to do or how to work all the systems,

Take note of all components Make and Model numbers and browse the Net, you will find almost all the infos of your equipment. Take notes and print infos to make your own RV manual.

The Oner's Manual by FR is a generic and explain +/- where are located the various component of the RV such as: stove, toilet, sewer exaust, water connection, etc. A sort of walkaround.

This forum is a good place to get help; there is a speciffic Lexington forum too that you can look at.

Tags
lexington