Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2023, 11:50 PM   #1

Newie Lexington GTS Owner Richard346

Hi, Richard346 I am new to the Lexington Forum, this is me! I bought my 2006 GTS a month ago. I am working on getting it ready for a 3 month trip out of the hottest summer town in the USA, Yuma, Arizona. I was looking at this old post "2006 255 GTS Lexington. Feared suspension" I wrote a long intro reply and then noticed it was a 2014 Post, I sent my reply anyway, it was a minor effort that i did not want to waist, and that is why I am posting it again in the Lexington Forum, and introducing my self to the group. Here goes "2006 255 GTS Lexington. Feared suspension, this is my reply. I have had similar experiences and concerns, I also do all my own maintenance and installations. Last month I purchased my second MH a 2006 E450 Lexington GTS from a single Little Elderly Lady, it had 30K MI and No mods of any type, with 5 year old tires at Front 50PSI and Rear at 80 PSI, I checked. My first MH was a Class A 40' Diesel pusher 2004 Alfa See Ya, I did not like the drive! so I installed shocks, safety T steer stabilizer, front and rear sway bars. and it still floated back and forth like a 1953 Cadillac on a rolly hill road, this confirms my similar experiences. 4 months ago a rear end accident made the insurance buy it back a a very good price. There is just me and my Dog Marley so I tried a Class C. The test drive was amazing!!! Did not sway, went up to 65MPH, up and down medium hills. I was so comfortable behind the wheel, it drove better than My 1996 F150 Exrend-a-cab Ford. I was so worried about all the internet issues like death wobble, etc. UI have not pulled my Toad yet! My future upgrades are Timbren TFER35092LB's at 6K LB, and a SuperSteer® SS400 Rear Trac Bar. Please comments on my proposed future Mods. But first a wheel Alignment and discuss a 4 to 5 Degree + Caster. I removed the 2 house Lead Acid batteries, and installed 4 each 100Amp Lithium batteries between the bed and rear wall, they fit great! and placed a 3000 watt Sungoldpower inverter under the Bed. Had to remove the converter and reroute the plumbing. Next is a 3 month road trip to leave Yuma, AZ and bond with my GTS, stopping in Michigan to add Big Foot Jacks. Upon returning I will contemplate what additional mods are needed, and see if I can Place 3 solar panel on the roof.

Please comment on my projects, I appreciate helpful experience as I am 77 and this is my full time hobby.
Richard346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 09:29 AM   #2

My 2006 (MY 2005) Sunseeker 2860DS Ford E-450 might be comparable to your Lexington from a chassis perspective.

I had my shop install the Timbrens below on the left, I could not find your part #. Extremely happy. No more rear end bottoming out. Airless progressive nature in cushioning. Grear helper springs at low cost. They normally hang about an inch above the rear axle. At the same time I replaced my leaf springs and rear shocks so my rear end is in new condition. I had twisted leafs, broken hanger frame rivets so it was time for new leafs.

After the rear suspension work it goes over highway expansion joints like a big suv. Quiets the coach stopping all that banging. There are some sway benefits too but I've never had any sway complaints.

I have front and rear scissor manual stabilizer jacks. I rarely deploy them because there's very little bounce to begin with. I stay at full hookup sites while traveling and the parking pads are usually pretty level on compacted gravel. I priced the automatic levels from Bigfoot, not far from me, and have decided against it at this time.

My Sunseeker is set up for touring, not seasonal site or FT.

If you want to tour or travel, if it were me, I'd save money on the auto levelers and put metal bolt-in valve stems on all 6 tires, get a TPMS (TireMinder, TST, etc), and possibly a portable air compressor.

I just have the factory converter/charger and get along fine.

Chris
Attachment 287097
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 06:44 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Welcome to the club!

I have replaced original shocks with same and replaced the the steering stabilizer with a bilstein. Major improvement over 2006 aged parts. Lots of small mods, the most useful is adding shelves on the bed and couch slideouts.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9375.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	287172

We are not yet able to travel for extended periods, but looking forward to it!
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 07:44 PM   #4

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum!
Old 05-27-2023, 04:42 PM   #5

We are new owners of a 2007 Lexington 28GTS and are just getting to know it a little. Having a problem with shore power...AC works fine with generator, but quits with shore power. Maybe a bad transfer switch?? I'm not sure where to find it on this unit...although I suspect it is under the bed as that is where the shore power cord comes in and makes its first connection. Looking forward to doing a little travelling in this pretty coach!
ColoradoWoollyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 05:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoWoollyBear View Post
We are new owners of a 2007 Lexington 28GTS and are just getting to know it a little. Having a problem with shore power...AC works fine with generator, but quits with shore power. Maybe a bad transfer switch?? I'm not sure where to find it on this unit...although I suspect it is under the bed as that is where the shore power cord comes in and makes its first connection. Looking forward to doing a little travelling in this pretty coach!
Welcome!

When on shore power do you have any 110vac power in the RV?
Also check the outlet you are plugged into - tripped GFI or braker if the RV tried to draw too much power.

If you have a half-time oven (Microwave/Convection) it is the easiest way to see if you have 110vac power - just check the display.

Are you running off of 30amp shore power or normal 15amp home outlet?
15 amp is marginal to run most RV AC units.
Old 05-27-2023, 05:17 PM   #7

shore power issue

Thank you! We do have power initially on shore power - plugged into a 50 amp outlet (newly installed on a new house) with a dog bone (brand new) adapter to 30A coach plug. The lights are lit on the microwave on shore power, and it seems to run the microwave, but only tried it for 4 or 5 seconds since I didn't have food in there. AC comes on and runs until the compressor kicks on, then it trips the 50A breaker at the house. Coach breakers are not tripped. The AC runs fine on the generator with shore power cord disconnected.
Old 05-28-2023, 08:46 AM   #8

My first impression is your 50 breaker is bad. I am fairly sure 50amp is 220vac and positive that 30amp is 110vac (using just one leg of the 220).

I am guessing your generator is an Onan 4K which doesn’t put out more than about 30 amp continuous. So if your AC runs on the generator, it is not the problem.

You could add a soft start capacitor to the AC unit - easy if you have basic electrical experience, possibly deadly if you do not - hire it out. This will help the AC start on poor electrical systems, but not really fix the problem.

Good luck
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
Old 05-28-2023, 09:02 AM   #9

Good morning! Thank you for that insight. We are going to have an electrician check the 50A circuit on Tues. I got to thinking it probably wouldn't be a problem with the transfer switch as it should be an all or nothing function, (I think anyway.) We'll take the coach down to the service center after Memorial Day and check it out with their power. Thanks again!
Old 06-03-2023, 08:38 AM   #10
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoWoollyBear View Post
Good morning! Thank you for that insight. We are going to have an electrician check the 50A circuit on Tues. I got to thinking it probably wouldn't be a problem with the transfer switch as it should be an all or nothing function, (I think anyway.) We'll take the coach down to the service center after Memorial Day and check it out with their power. Thanks again!
Welcome to the forum. Lots of knowledgeable folks here to halp with your questions. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 08:49 AM   #11

50 A breaker issue

The electrician changed out the 50A GFI breaker to a regular breaker...all is working now. He said that the coach has a bonded ground, being its own system, so has GFI on board. It would immediately trip a GFI breaker when plugged into it. He said that's a new code requirement and is causing multiple issues so the county bldg dept has their install (50A GFIs) on hold for now. Thanks so much everybody!

Tags
gts, lexington