Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #1

Oh my, what did I do

We took delivery of a 2007 Lexington GTS a week ago. The person at the dealership was great doing the walk-around, which we promptly forgot on our 60 mile trip home. We are totally new to the RV scene and if he covered starting and stopping procedures, I forgot that too.

In trying to familiarize myself with the rig, I inadvertantly left the A/C in the 'on' position when re-starting the generator. [It stopped on it's own and we determined it was due to the sloping driveway.]

I started the generator, let it run for about two minutes before trying to power on the A/C. All the other systems seem to be working but, alas, no A/C.

I checked the breakers and fuses inside the rig and all appeared to be working. Have I missed something or do we have a bigger problem.

Regards,
Lexi's Mom
Lexi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #2

It's all good

Never y'all mind. I got 'er handled
Old 06-21-2014, 11:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi2007 View Post
Never y'all mind. I got 'er handled
So what was the issue incase someone else has a like problem?
Old 06-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
So what was the issue incase someone else has a like problem?
Did my initial post from last evening regarding the generator and A/C problem not appear?
Old 06-21-2014, 11:58 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi2007 View Post
Did my initial post from last evening regarding the generator and A/C problem not appear?
He's wanting to know what was actually wrong and what you did to fix it.
So other may learn from it.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #6

In trying to familiarize myself with the rig, I inadvertantly left the A/C in the 'on' position when re-starting the generator. [It stopped on it's own and we determined it was due to the sloping driveway.]

I started the generator, let it run for about two minutes before trying to power on the A/C. All the other systems seem to be working but, alas, no A/C.

I checked the breakers and fuses inside the rig and all appeared to be working. Have I missed something or do we have a bigger problem.

I learned from another forum to try resetting the circuit breaker on the generator. Then re-started the gen, let it run for a while, confirmed I had lights and power to the light plugs. Then sucessfully started the A/C.

However, the generator only ran for about 15 minutes, Again, this may be to our sloping drive way. Right now it's hard to find a place where we can let it sit and run for a while to see if for sure, it's the driveway slope that's causing it to stop on it's own. This time, it didn't appear to trip the circuit breaker however.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:45 PM   #7

So the startup amp draw popped the gensets breaker?
As for the generator running(or lack there of) I would look hard at the fuel filter and then replace it.
I think it may have pulled some gunk and partially plugged it enough to stop running.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #8

It would seem to me that a sloping driveway would only make your generator shut off if the fuel level was very low. Fill the gen's fuel tank and see if it still shuts off. If it does, I would start looking for other problems.
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
So the startup amp draw popped the gensets breaker?
As for the generator running(or lack there of) I would look hard at the fuel filter and then replace it.
I think it may have pulled some gunk and partially plugged it enough to stop running.
Actually, I believe I caused genset circuit breaker to blow because I indavertantly left the A/C on when I restarted the generator the very first time it stopped on its own.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #10

I believe the generator runs off the fuel in the main tank.... There's a cut-off feature built into the rig that will cut the generator off if the fuel in the main tank reaches a certain level... This keeps you from running out of fuel in the main tank which could really leave you in a bad situation if your out in the boonies.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
I believe the generator runs off the fuel in the main tank.... There's a cut-off feature built into the rig that will cut the generator off if the fuel in the main tank reaches a certain level... This keeps you from running out of fuel in the main tank which could really leave you in a bad situation if your out in the boonies.....
Are the GPH on them that bad?

Old 06-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #12

No.... But if you boon dock for any length of time and it requires running the gen for cooling/heat/micro etc., then you run the risk of pulling too much fuel from the main tank... I'd hate to be in a situation where my main tank is so low I'm at risk getting to a gas station....

Obviously, you should always top off your tank before going off grid, but it only takes one time to totally screw up a trip.... I had a Lexington before I moved up to my Berkshire and I remember that when the main tank got down to 1/4 or less, the gen would not start... The same feature is on my Berk even tho I carry 100 gals of diesel...
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
No.... But if you boon dock for any length of time and it requires running the gen for cooling/heat/micro etc., then you run the risk of pulling too much fuel from the main tank... I'd hate to be in a situation where my main tank is so low I'm at risk getting to a gas station....

Obviously, you should always top off your tank before going off grid, but it only takes one time to totally screw up a trip.... I had a Lexington before I moved up to my Berkshire and I remember that when the main tank got down to 1/4 or less, the gen would not start... The same feature is on my Berk even tho I carry 100 gals of diesel...
I see, and I do agree about topping off the tank.
Packing a five gallon Jerry can full of fuel for very long is not fun nor would paying for road service to bring it to you if they would.

Thanks for the info.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #14

Just as another note on the generator, it may also be the oil switch built into it.
If it is too unlevel, it thinks it is low on oil and will shut itself down.
Learned that from a Generac I had one time.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #15

Is there a need or a way to close this thread? Lexi is at the RV service center as we could not keep the generator running even when on a level spot for more than 6-7 minutes. The good news is we did purchase an extended warranty so the max the repairs should cost would be $200. I really enjoyed reading all the comments and suggestions. I've learned a ton about our rig in a very short time. Thanks to you all.