Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #1

Onan Gen start problem

Have a 2004 Lexi 255DS with an Onan 4000 micro quiet gen set. First couple of time this season that I pushed the prime/stop switch, could hear a pump operate. Now there is no noise but the red indicator light comes on after a few seconds. Then push the start button and the gen sen starts albiet a bit slowly. There is no code flashing on the FR control panel. Opened up the gen case and the prime switch was flashing a "3" code. Went through the sequence and got code "32" for low cranking rpm. Checked the coach batt 12.73 and 12.64 v. Gounding connection at the gen set seems fine as is the positive terminal. All interior 12v lights work fine. Any ideas for the low cranking rpm code. Coach batt were installed in 2007.
Thanks
Medtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #2

Low crank RPM

Medtech,
Sorry about the problems with your generator, troubleshooting can be fun...
A little poking around this web thing led me to the Owners Manual for this series of generator http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/m.../981-0159D.pdf

Looking down to the Troubleshooting Section I found Code 32 section. Check the cleanliness and tightness of the battery terminals and the cable connections on the starter.
It is really amazing how badly a little corrosion can affect 12v systems.

Here is the Factory Service Manual if you like.
http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/981-0503.pdf

Hope this helps,
Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #3

Thanks Chris,
I have the manual and have checked all the things listed. I am begining to think that there may be a low cranking amp problem with the coach batteries.
Medtech is offline   Reply With Quote