Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #1

One More Situation & I Hope It's The Last

Our 2007 Lexington has an Olevo [sp] brand TV in the main area. We had a King Dome installed and had a DirecTV HD box installed. I have since learned that King Dome does not support DirecTV HD, only SD and that's fine. However, after many hours on the phone with first DirecTV and then King Dome, the TV continues to display a "signal not found" message. Has anyone encountered this situation and if so, what was the solution? After re-reading the user manual supplied with the King Dome, there is one caveat regarding older HD equipment that suggests using a different satellite than the one the KD had me link up to via a telecon. What are your thoughts regarding what older equipment means? Our HD box is probably four years old, but before I called KD back again, I wanted to see what y'all thought.

As always, thank you for your input.
Lexi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #2

No Signal

Did you get this situation under control? We had similar problems with DISH, but works great, now. I won't elaborate unless you are still having problems.
dougpatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #3

Yeppers

Yes I am having a problem, however the rig is presently having towing equipment installed. I will have to tackle when it comes back home.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:42 AM   #4

Ho Signal

KD was much more help than DISH when we had problems. The guys that DISH sent out were not familiar with an RV set-up. The DISH guys set up a portable dish initially and did the download to the receivers (both new 211 receivers) from that dish-not the KD-they said that was recommended. Also, they were reluctant to draw from western satellites, since we are in IN, but that is how our KD was installed (aftermarket by previous owner). Once they gave in on that, the system found the satellites (110, 119, 129), but still no picture. Mostly the DISH guys were not patient enough to wait for the full "check switch" procedure that the system had to complete. They kept interrupting it before it was finished. Once the installers left (they were here about 4 hours), I ran the full check switch, (about 15 mins) and we were good. Now, "no signal" on TV 2. I went up on the roof, and connected directly to the KD to make sure it was receiving-it was-TV worked fine. Of course, you don't want to do that every time! So back inside to find the problem. KD told me that TV#2's receiver had to be initially set-up (check switch, again) on the main TV's connection, so I simply switched the receivers-placing the working one in the bedroom-and ran the procedure again on TV 1's now new receiver, and both worked. Our receivers were both new, but a receiver only four years old should work, in my opinion. Again, KD support was the only reason I was able to keep my sanity through all of this. They were most helpful.
dougpatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #5

We Got TV

I'm thrilled to report that we got our DirecTV/KingDome issues solved. It turned out to be so simple but totally bumfuzzled me in the beginning. This time I got a DirecTV tech who was also familiar with KingDome and it took about 15 minutes. As always, thanks to all the folks who posted suggestions and messages of support.

Regards,
Kenneth, Val & Lexi
Old 09-24-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Can you please post the resolution so that it may help others with the same issue?
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:46 AM   #7

Resolution

As A2 [I know, I know, it's really A Squared but this is the best I can do] requested, I'm going to try to build a timeline of what happened and how it finally resolved.

As in my first post, all we could get on the TV was a DirecTV Code 771. At that time neither DirecTV nor KingDome could really get a handle on it. We think KingDome got us lined up with a good satellite but that was all. Fast-forward to yesterday, we got the rig home with the tow equipment so I decided to bite the bullet and get us TV one way or the other. The moment I powered everything up, all of a sudden, I had a "Guide" with most of the channels grayed out and the ones I could click on, I got the code 771 again. This time I called DirecTV and got a tech who really understood the problem. We knew we had an older box [4 years is a lifetime in the electronics world] and we knew that KingDome does not support HD [High Def], only SD [Standard Def ] signals. The tech walked me through hiding the HD channels, leaving only the SD channels to choose. He reset the box and within a few minutes we had a great signal.

So, my understanding is this:
1. If you use an HD box, you need to hide the HD channels. KingDome does not support HD signals, only SD. DirecTV and presumably Dish can walk you through this setting.
2. You can do the resetting by following instructions provided on the DirecTV website but you can also call DirecTV and they can do it for you. You are, after all paying for this in your subscription.
3 If you are using older equipment, ask KingDome to find the correct satellite on which to lock. That info is also in the KD users' manual.
4. Older equipment seems to be a moving target...what seems old to them may not seem old to us as end users. Ask.

One further note, the people at the RV center who installed the dome and who were installing the towing equipment knew we were having problems. I suppose it is possible that while they had the rig, they re-checked and maybe redid some part of the installation and that led to the ultimate solution. They didn't say and there was no additional charge cuz' everything had already been paid for.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:02 PM   #8

Just for clarification...what you know for sure is that kingdome does not support HD for DirecTV.
I believe this is because DirectTV uses separate satellites & bands for HD.
I've read elsewhere that the Kingdome WILL support HD on DishNetwork.
Perhaps someone who owns one can weigh in on that. I did find the following statement on line:

"King-Dome Systems are compatible with Dish Network and Bell ExpressVU HDTV.

*Optional HD converter required to receive specially formatted HD signals from DIRECTV 110 satellite. These antennas do not receive DIRECTV Ka band signals from satellites 99 and 103. Customr Support Contact our friendly and supportive technical staff."
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Correct.
DirecTV changed to a very narrow Ka band for their HD stuff. Which is why there is no mobile HD (unless you use a big dish...like the one sitting useless in my back yard if anyone wants it).

Dish I'm sure is just compressing all their stuff to make it work on their existing stuff...but then again I only know enough to make me look smart, not really be smart.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote