Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2020, 02:11 PM   #1

Slider Topper Operation and manintanice

We just returned from an 8-day initial outing with our 2008 283ts. Needed a "few things" on the road (AC-DC converter, new house batts) but all in all a good trip.

While I've owned several 'tow-ables" in the past, I'm still coming up to speed on the systems in our rig. One operational item that has me concerned is the operation of the slides and the A/E slide awnings/toppers installed on this on this Lexington. In this case, there are metal "covers" that wrap over the top of the toppers when the sliders are retracted that were included as part of the optional "Onyx" trim package. When I deploy the slides, these metal covers seem to hold back the top of the slide for a few moments while the bottom of the slide is moving out. Eventually, the motion of the slide overcomes the resistance of the covers and the top of the slide starts moving out.

Is there a lubrication or service point on for the roller that's part of the slider topper? I don't see anything in the A/E manual that I have that pertains to servicing of the awning rollers.

Thanks

Dave
david_wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:19 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Dave, Welcome to the group and congratulation on your Motorhome. i don't have any help with the slide-topper. This group is usually very good with providing information.

Following we have a 2005 255DS with slide-toppers - they are ready to be replaced but still working
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:30 PM   #3

When the top starts moving, does it suddenly pop out as far as the bottom or does it just start slowly moving out without “popping out”? It’s possible that’s how it’s supposed to work. The bottom may go out a little before the top starts to move out.

Can someone go outside and hold up the metal protector as you put the slide out to see if it makes a difference?
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:51 PM   #4

The slide does a "pop-out" action when the slide position overcomes the drag put on it by the topper. The slatted cover is integral to the topper and can not be lifted during slide operation.

In the Lexington, the only portion of the slide that seems to be supported during extension/retraction is the bottom portion. I'm not sure if this is the same mechanism used throughout the Forest River product line in the same time frame but in looking at other manufactures of similar styles of RVs (Gulfstream, Concord) the slides have cables or slide tracks on both the top and bottom. This looks to be point of weakness in the slide system on the Lex.
Old 11-01-2020, 01:07 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

I’m not familiar with the Lexington line specifically, but we had a Georgetown that had a metal cover over the main awning ONLY. There was no similar metal protection on the toppers of the slide outs.

On the toppers on our Sunseeker now, there’s no metal cover. There’s also NO metal cover on the awning either.

Guess we’ll have to see if any other Lexington people chime in.

BTW.....are your slides electric or hydraulic?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:11 PM   #6

I would assume them to be electric - although I haven't "lifted the skirt" very far to investigate. The mechanism under the bed (east/west configuration with the bed on the slide) doesn't seem to have any hydraulic lines as part of the system.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:38 PM   #7

Not sure if you sorted out your issue yet with whe tip out, awning, but we have a 2008 Lexington GTS300SS that has a similar but larger tip out on the left side and basically does the same.
The topper is spring loaded which puts pressure on the fabric to keep taught.
Lippert , the slide manufacturer told me that opening this way is normal.
In fact when fully open, the slide of actually tipped in a bit on the top putting in slightly off level,which I thought wasn’t normal but apparently is, so Lippert says.
Hope this helps somewhat
Celticrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:11 PM   #8

It does - thanks for the info.

Good info on who the manufacture of the slide mechanism is. I have a bunch of question that they might be able to help with.

Dave
Old 11-03-2020, 08:46 AM   #9

It took a while to figure out who made the slide on our unit, lots of pics of the mechanism and emails. Not sure if they make all FR sldes however. They sent me all the adjustments necessary if I ever needed to adjust as well.
The contract I used was customerservice@lci1.com
Celticrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide