Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #1

TV Cable Question

When I put the bedroom TV on antenna, it works great, but when I hook up to park cable, it says a low signal and only shows (snowy) a few channels. Front TV works fine either way. Is there something missing in the line to the bedroom?
dougpatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #2

When you switch the bedroom TV from antenna to cable, are you turning off the antenna booster? Leaving it on can cause cable channels to be very fuzzy. I don't know why your other TV would be different.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #3

Does you Lexington have a "switch box" for your entertainment system, or just the usual antenna booster control plate?

Name:   image-2773141835.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  16.4 KB
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #4

Ant. Switch

I learned a LONG time ago to turn ant. booster off. If left on, it would affect front TV also, so I know it is off. Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion before I spend $$ on a "pro."
Old 11-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #5

It's difficult to see a mechanism that would cause the failure you're having. If the cable carries OTA TV, it should be carrying cable. While they're generally the same frequency band, perhaps you're actually using different parts of it in this case.

I would try two things. First, swap TVs and make sure it's not a bad TV. (They do have different circuits for Cable vs. OTA.)

Second, examine the fittings on both ends of the cable connecting the bad TV. It might just be a bad fitting.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
Commercial Member

If there is a switch box, make sure the switch box is set to ANT as well.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Phlunky

I had this problem with my Grey Wolf. I replaced all the cable ends in the trailer and that fixed the problem.
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #8

Problem solved

I brought the TV into the house and connected to Dish and nothing-scanned but found no channels. Hooked up to antenna and it worked fine. So I guess the good news is the wiring in motorhome probably good, and the bad news is I have to get a new TV. This TV was a name unknown to me, and most likely a cheapo, but this is an issue I've never heard of. Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougpatz View Post
I brought the TV into the house and connected to Dish and nothing-scanned but found no channels. Hooked up to antenna and it worked fine. So I guess the good news is the wiring in motorhome probably good, and the bad news is I have to get a new TV. This TV was a name unknown to me, and most likely a cheapo, but this is an issue I've never heard of. Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.
How was "Dish" connected to the TV? (That's usually with an HDMI cable so scanning doesn't make sense in that situation.)
Old 11-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #10

Our house DISH receiver is a dual receiver, and the bedroom connectionused was a regular coaxial cable hook-up (it is SD). The main TV uses a HDMI. The HDMI connection on this TV probably works, because when we bought the unit, it was connected to a Dish receiver of its own, and playing OK. I guess the HDMI connection may work, but I need it to work off of park cable and a regular coaxial hook-up, so I am not even going to experiment any further, and just get a different (and larger) TV. Thanks to all for the input. Forums are always the best way to gather info!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
When you scanned, did you choose "cable" and not "OTA or AIR"?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #12

Yes, I did scan "cable." We've had four campers in six years (upgrading, then downsizing), and this is a new one on me!
Old 11-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Yes, I did scan "cable." We've had four campers in six years (upgrading, then downsizing), and this is a new one on me!
Digital content is more "coax fussy" than analog.
Perhaps you have a loose connector (faulty shielding) somewhere.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to King Yankee Send a message via Yahoo to King Yankee
I have the same issue. Dish network even gave up. So tomorrow it goes back to dealer to get tv running. When hooked to park cable it was fine but with 211k receiver nothing. Update to follow.

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
King Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
Commercial Member

If there is a switch box you have to bypass the switch box. It does not play well with Sat.

Where the sat cable comes into the switch box that has to go directly into the receiver instead, the out to the TV's from there.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Yankee View Post
I have the same issue. Dish network even gave up. So tomorrow it goes back to dealer to get tv running. When hooked to park cable it was fine but with 211k receiver nothing. Update to follow.
If you have a single outside connection shared for both Cable and Satellite use, you have to do as bclemens said for a switch box, or if you have the Antenna Booster Control plate, you have to disconnect the coax from the booster control plate and connect it directly to the receiver. Here's a couple of diagrams that may help.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3039291498.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	42810

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-944211234.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	42811
Old 11-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #17

Thanks guys, just love this site. When we put it all back together tomorrow will do this. Thanks again.

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
Old 11-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

You may want to consider this mod as it is very easy to switch back and forth between satellite and cable.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf satellite_rewire.pdf (957.8 KB, 135 views)
Old 11-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #19

Talk about a wasted trip to see "the tech". Ended up losing all my channels and telling me this rewiring is not needed. Wow I am frustrated to say the least. Now back to Dish to get my channels back and I will do this mod myself. I see the mod was written in 2004. This still goes for newer models? Day to travel tomorrow so looks to be Friday or this weekend. Thanks guys.

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
Old 11-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #20

I will admit that I grimaced when you said you were taking it to the dealer. I'm glad you only lost a day instead of a week or a month.

Many models now have separate Sat inputs and Cable inputs on the outside. One I know of that is still like yours (one input) has a wall plate dedicated for that jumper configuration instead of doing it on the booster control plate.