Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2015, 06:24 PM   #1

Utah and Back:5000 Mile Trip in a 2007 Lexington 235

Just returned from a two week trip to Utah. Wow! What a beautiful state. Didn't do much in Salt Lake owing to rain. Drove to the Bonneville Speedway. Saw some cool motorcycles, but sadly no speed record attempts because the salt flats were a salt lake from all the rain. Did the high points, Zion, Bryce, Arches. All worth the misery of the drive to get there.

Drove three days to Salt Lake City (about 740, 600+ and 600+) and three days back from Green River (about 600+, 650 and 680). The Chevy was flawless. Delivered a little over 10 mpg zipping along at 70-80 miles per hour. Didn't burn a drop of oil (at least a measurable one). Took I-80 out. Drove through southern Wyoming for the first and last time. Wind was blowing so hard that the steering wheel left the 11 0'clock position only for the 10 O'clock at the occasional gust.

On the way back, we took I-70 to Denver, then I-76 to I-80 again. 40+ mph through most of the approach to the Eisenhower-Johnson tunnel (No, you don't have to turn off the propane for the tunnel). Kept The RPMs under 3000 for the most part. Dropped to 35 mph at the steep incline just before the tunnel. The only problems with the mountains, up or down, were the few speeding jerks who cut very closely in front of me while zig-zagging across lanes.

I-70 between I-15 and Green River is not to be missed. Spectacularly beautiful. The scenery matches anything you'll see at any of the national parks.

I wish we could have stayed longer, but the spouse is not a good traveler. Home and the cats beckoned. The Chevy, on the other hand, was great. Only issue was a lost hub cap on the way out.

Now I've got to spend a couple of days cleaning all the bugs off the cap, hood and grill. I think the unit is white, but it's hard to tell at this point.

Utah - try it, you'll like it!!
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:52 AM   #2
RV Nomad

Remember to use a moist Bounce to remove all the bugs.
olygene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:33 AM   #3

Thanks. I'll guess that it will take a small box of them!
Old 10-07-2015, 04:14 PM   #4

11.2 miles per gallon at 70-80 mph

My previous gas mileage was a rough guess. Actual mpg was just over 11.1, Not bad for 70-80 mph. 1950 miles. 175 gallons of gas.

Tags
500, lexington, utah