Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2020, 08:35 PM   #1

What is this for?

We are new owners of a Lexington 255. It has been sitting for about 5 years. After a good wash job I am now going thru the systems to see what is what, what works and what does not. So far so good, replaced the batteries and most everything seems to be working that I have checked. The Onan will not start but as the truck’s tank is below 1/4 full I have been lead to believe it is just not getting gas. Tomorrow I go fill the fuel and propane tanks and then see if the stove, reefer and genset work.

I do have a question that has probably been asked, and I apologize for reasking, but I can’t even think of how to do a search for the answer. Sitting between the genset and a storage compartment is a little door. When opened there is a small 3 1/2 in diameter chamber, 18 inches deep. What should be stored there?
SophieDog69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:41 AM   #2

sewer hose
tinkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerman View Post
sewer hose

That is what I was thinking but the sewer hose that came with the coach is a little over 3 feet long collapsed. 18 inches, the depth of this space just seemed too short for a useable hose. Guess they made them shorter in 2004. Thanks for the response.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:35 AM   #4

sewer hose

We have the same motorhome. We extended the sewer hose storage
compartment tube with a 90 degree coupling and then added 30 inches of
4 inch pvc going toward the front. This allows a much longer sewer hose.
tinkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:17 AM   #5

Guess that is what we will have to do. The guy we got it from just had the sewage hose in a bag stuffed into one of the storage compartments. I like your idea much better, you don’t have it patented do you?
Old 08-21-2020, 12:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerman View Post
We have the same motorhome. We extended the sewer hose storage

compartment tube with a 90 degree coupling and then added 30 inches of

4 inch pvc going toward the front. This allows a much longer sewer hose.

Thanks for the input. My genset is in the way in a forward direction but lots of room to the back. Guess I won’t copy you exactly but it’ll be close, thanks.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieDog69 View Post
We are new owners of a Lexington 255. It has been sitting for about 5 years. After a good wash job I am now going thru the systems to see what is what, what works and what does not. So far so good, replaced the batteries and most everything seems to be working that I have checked. The Onan will not start but as the truck’s tank is below 1/4 full I have been lead to believe it is just not getting gas. Tomorrow I go fill the fuel and propane tanks and then see if the stove, reefer and genset work.

I do have a question that has probably been asked, and I apologize for reasking, but I can’t even think of how to do a search for the answer. Sitting between the genset and a storage compartment is a little door. When opened there is a small 3 1/2 in diameter chamber, 18 inches deep. What should be stored there?
Onan will not run on 1/4 tank and after sitting for long period carburetor wlil be dirty. You can buy an after market one for around $65.00.
You will then have time to learn to clean original.
HDHNTR Chuck Felton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDHNTR Chuck Felton View Post
Onan will not run on 1/4 tank and after sitting for long period carburetor wlil be dirty. You can buy an after market one for around $65.00.

You will then have time to learn to clean original.

Thanks Chuck. I thought I had read somewhere about that 1/4 tank restriction just could not remember where. I’m going to add some gas tomorrow and will try to start it up. If it starts Ill run a load for a half hour or so and see how it does. If all works Ill skip the carb rebuild, at least for now and just to a weekly genset run for confidence building. I have always treated little engines like little outboards, the more they run the better they like it.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:09 PM   #9
Site Team

Before you put more fuel in it. How long has the fuel that is in it been sitting. If the answer is 5yrs, might try to drain it and start over.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Before you put more fuel in it. How long has the fuel that is in it been sitting. If the answer is 5yrs, might try to drain it and start over.

The tank was almost empty when we went to drive it home. Put 10 gallons premium in for the trip home (40 miles) and plan on putting another 20 in for testing the genset. We will run another 50 miles or so and then plan on changing out fuel filters. I figure any dirty/old gas should be picked up or diluted enough by then to not be a problem. Should the filters look like crap we may drain the tank then.

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:53 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Welcome SophieDog69

I have a 2006 255 and love it. It also sat for a few years. My generator requires over 1/3 a tank to run - I think they tapped at the Forrest River factory and it depends on where in the gas tank they added the tap.

Check the tires if they are more than 8-9 years old replace them. Dry rot is the problem, not wear.

Check the roof for leak and caulking. Water is a big issue!

We have had our for 5 years now and enjoy it a lot. No major issues.

Good luck,

Bill
NoviBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviBill View Post
Welcome SophieDog69

I have a 2006 255 and love it. It also sat for a few years. My generator requires over 1/3 a tank to run - I think they tapped at the Forrest River factory and it depends on where in the gas tank they added the tap.

Check the tires if they are more than 8-9 years old replace them. Dry rot is the problem, not wear.

Check the roof for leak and caulking. Water is a big issue!

We have had our for 5 years now and enjoy it a lot. No major issues.

Good luck,

Bill

Thanks for the encouragement Bill. Our tires are 7 years old. Our plan right now is to stay close to home over the winter and thus wait until spring for new tires. At that time we will be taking a spin around the States and want the security of new tires. We have checked the roof for leaks and have not seen any stains that look like they are anywhere near recent. Living in Puget Sound we will be checking anytime we get a good rain (daily?).

I may be sending you questions if we get any problems we don’t understand. You may just become my new best friend,
Old 08-21-2020, 10:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieDog69 View Post

When you run your Onan for 1/2 under load, iet run for 5 min without load to cool down. Good luck
HDHNTR Chuck Felton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:35 AM   #14

On my 2014 Lexington I have a 4 inches inside diameter chamber also too short. Instead of extending the compartment, I added a 7 feet 5X5 vinyl pole to the frame behind the rear wheels. It gives me more space for the connectors at the end of the hose.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFLLambert View Post
On my 2014 Lexington I have a 4 inches inside diameter chamber also too short. Instead of extending the compartment, I added a 7 feet 5X5 vinyl pole to the frame behind the rear wheels. It gives me more space for the connectors at the end of the hose.

I like your idea. I seem to remember a small trailer I lived in 100 years ago that had a rear bumper that was a steel tube with caps at both ends. That was where the waste hose was stored on it. For now I did lengthen the present tube (with an elbow added) and my hose goes it just fine. It it fails sometime down the road I will probably do as you did behind the rear wheels.

Thanks for the input.