Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2022, 06:43 PM   #1

Yet Another 255 Owner

Hey Folks,

I just purchased a 2006 255 GTS which I am beginning to enjoy. However, after many thread searches and Google searches I can't seem to answer some of the following burning questions.

• Are the AC +/- power outlets supposed to have power when the generator is running and the unit is not plugged into shore power?
    • If so my AC power outlets are not functioning, I've checked circuit breakers, fuses, reset wall GFCIs. Perhaps I have a faulty transfer switch (which I think is an automatic switch located under the bed)?
  • When the generator is running is the air conditioning supposed to be functional (also on AC +/- and might be related to above)? When turned on I hear a click and neither fan move (though they can move freely by hand).
    • I've tested the rooftop capacitors and they within spec and pass the visual test.
    • I double-checked the 3 amp fuse on the circuit panel which seems fine too.
  • Does anyone happen to know if my model could have come equipped with an inverter? I've searched about everywhere with no luck. The "manual" seems to list it as optional though I'm not exactly sure where else to look.
Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
hashwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 10:11 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Welcome to the club! I have a 2006 255DS

If your generator is starting and running, the most likely failure is the circuit breaker on the generator. Reset Onan Circuit Breaker

The generator will run the AC just fine. Mine will trip if I run the AC and microwave at the same time.

I have spent the week working on some anti-aging projects on mine: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cdrdwd...7720301392493/

Best regards,

Bill
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviBill View Post
If your generator is starting and running, the most likely failure is the circuit breaker on the generator. Reset Onan Circuit Breaker

The generator will run the AC just fine. Mine will trip if I run the AC and microwave at the same time.

I have spent the week working on some anti-aging projects on mine: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cdrdwd...7720301392493/

Hello Bill, and thank you for the reply!

I just learned of the breaker on the generator the other day and in fact verified that it is not tripped, though I turned it off and reset it just in case. So I find myself deeper down the rabbit hole questioning the health or existence of a manual or automatic transfer switch on my rig.

Also, thank you for sharing your projects and pictures. I figure some roof maintenance isn't so distant in my future.
Old 08-18-2022, 09:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashwagon View Post
<snip>So I find myself deeper down the rabbit hole questioning the health or existence of a manual or automatic transfer switch on my rig.

My 2006 has an automatic transfer switch, I would guess yours does also. I don’t know where it is, but that would be my first guess of the fault. *I know on some motorhomes there is a 30amp plug in the electric cord box that works as a manual transfer (plug into shore or generator).

My Best anti-aging improvements:
1) re-caulk and prevent any water leaks.
2) repaint battery box and propane tank.

My best driving improvement: replaced original steering stabilizer with direct replacement Bilstein. About a 30 minute job. Not sure how much better it was then the original, but great compared to the 15 year old part I replaced.

BILSTEIN 24-174534 FORD E350/450 97-10 STEERING DAMPER 5100 SERIES (STEERING DAMPER)
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
Old 08-29-2022, 09:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashwagon View Post
Hey Folks,

I just purchased a 2006 255 GTS which I am beginning to enjoy. However, after many thread searches and Google searches I can't seem to answer some of the following burning questions.

• Are the AC +/- power outlets supposed to have power when the generator is running and the unit is not plugged into shore power?
    • If so my AC power outlets are not functioning, I've checked circuit breakers, fuses, reset wall GFCIs. Perhaps I have a faulty transfer switch (which I think is an automatic switch located under the bed)?
  • When the generator is running is the air conditioning supposed to be functional (also on AC +/- and might be related to above)? When turned on I hear a click and neither fan move (though they can move freely by hand).
    • I've tested the rooftop capacitors and they within spec and pass the visual test.
    • I double-checked the 3 amp fuse on the circuit panel which seems fine too.
  • Does anyone happen to know if my model could have come equipped with an inverter? I've searched about everywhere with no luck. The "manual" seems to list it as optional though I'm not exactly sure where else to look.
Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Any porgress?
Old 09-02-2022, 02:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviBill View Post
Any porgress?

Unfortunately, no luck at all with A/C power. I did fix some plumbing problems, a leaky fresh water drain (previous owner used Gorilla Tape which was leaky ) and also fixed a broken city water plug.

The only update I have on the power is that I down converted my shore power 30 amp to 15 amp and plugged it into my house which immediately tripped the GFCI breaker.
Old 09-12-2022, 12:13 PM   #7

Hello and welcome to the Forest River (Lexington Family)
I myself am a new owner of a 2008 Lexington 255DS. Great units
Your problem sounds like your transfer switch is not engaging between
shore power and generator. Have you checked all the 12volt fuses as they might
have a 12volt relay. Here is a PDF of the transfer switchs that Foredt River uses.

http://forestriverinc.com/files/Component-Manuals/Generator/WFCO%20(Arterra)%20-%20Generator%20Transfer%20Switch%20Model%20T-30,%20T-57R%20Operator's%20Manual.pdf

Rick M
2008 Lexington255DS (CD)
2006 Rockwood 8272S Signature Series
4 Prior Bigfoot trailers
Rockwood Rickk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 06:16 PM   #8
MaPaChoo

Transfer switch on the 283 GTS is in fact silver box under the bed on top of the converter. one screw holding the top on you will see after removing top the wires marked shore, generator and power out then they drop into the switch
hope it helps.

Tags