Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2015, 04:34 PM   #1

Extended warranty vs. good sam service plan

Trying to evaluate if the extended warranty from the dealer vs a good sam service plan. Buying a 2015 3050s from rv direct so my "dealer" isn't close. And good sam looks cheaper. Heard stories about local dealers not servicing rigs from other places. Any advice for a newbie.c
trnarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Be sure you're comparing apples to apples. With Good Sam you might be looking at roadside service which is different than a warranty.

Also, you're right that a local dealer might cause you trouble but the type of warranty often won't change that. To them whether it's FR's or Good Sam's warranty, either way you didn't buy from them.

To avoid this, try contacting a local dealer to confirm willingness to work with you. You'll need to confirm they're willing to do work on whoever's warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-11-2015, 05:04 PM   #3

If you're buying a Forest River product then you can contact the factory for a 2nd year for $150. That covers you for 2 years. By then you'll know of any problems with the unit. Some appliance warranties are 3 years from their manufacturers.

FWIW, if a dealer ever told me they wouldn't do warranty work on a unit I didn't buy form them then I certainly would not do any business with them.

They ALL are paid by the factory to do warranty work. If they sold it to you or not.
Happy trails,
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:22 PM   #4

That 2nd year does not apply to motorhomes

Old 02-11-2015, 07:28 PM   #5

It does not apply to Crusaders either....
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boso View Post
That 2nd year does not apply to motorhomes

That's too bad, We were hoping to be able to get a 2nd year when we purchase our Sunseeker 3050S. Brian (BClemens), is there a reason that FR does not offer a 2nd year Warranty on Sunseeker & Forester? Is there any chance that they might in the future? We would be all over it, even for more than $150 if they did. Brian ?
Thanks
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:50 AM   #7

FR will help you find a dealer for warranty work if your local dealer won't help. Plus Camping Worlds will do warranty work. We bought from RVDirect. There were no local dealers who sold Sunseekers in our area, plus RVDirect had way better pricing than the dealers (100+ miles away) that we shopped. We have had very little warranty needs and they were easily resolved. Remember the chassis is warrantied by Ford or Chevy, and the appliances, generator, etc., all have warranties direct from their manufacturers.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 02-12-2015, 06:32 AM   #8

RvBill3 - How was your experience with RVDirect? Any problems?
Budro35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:19 PM   #9

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnarg View Post
Trying to evaluate if the extended warranty from the dealer vs a good sam service plan. Buying a 2015 3050s from rv direct so my "dealer" isn't close. And good sam looks cheaper. Heard stories about local dealers not servicing rigs from other places. Any advice for a newbie.c
My first trl. came from Direct RV and no problem and the ext. warr. is excellent, Star Internation Diamond plan is top of the line and was 1440 and when I traded with another Direct switch warr. to a new plan along with the amt. that paid towards the first policy and I get another 7yrs. of warranty.
it pays for every thing unless it was caused by mother nature, thats why I have ahome type policy through Thum Ins. out of Mich. they cover all types of rec. equip.
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budro35 View Post
RvBill3 - How was your experience with RVDirect? Any problems?
None
Dick,
Old 02-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
FR will help you find a dealer for warranty work if your local dealer won't help. Plus Camping Worlds will do warranty work. We bought from RVDirect. There were no local dealers who sold Sunseekers in our area, plus RVDirect had way better pricing than the dealers (100+ miles away) that we shopped. We have had very little warranty needs and they were easily resolved. Remember the chassis is warrantied by Ford or Chevy, and the appliances, generator, etc., all have warranties direct from their manufacturers.

With RV Direct Star International warr. you go to any dealer or rv shop slap down your card ded. 100 and the call get auth. and it gets fixed. Happy feet again.
Dick,
Old 02-12-2015, 07:47 PM   #12

I had a great experience with RvDirect. Saved $35,000 off MSRP and $8000 off best dealer's price (dealer over 100 miles away). Order process was simple. When it came time for delivery, you send a check (FedEx) and they FedEx title and bill of sale. Go get license plates and head for delivery. (I picked mine up in Des Moines--about 300 miles away). The PDI was outstanding. Took all the time I needed to explain everything (in March in an indoor facility). There was nothing that was overlooked and I felt confident using everything because it was well explained.

I will buy again from RvDirect.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:11 PM   #13

How about warranty or service work? Any problems or concerns?
Did that hurt right away or did it wait awhile!
Budro35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:42 AM   #14

We have a Good Sam Policy that covers all of the things inside of the camper. Furnace, AC, slides, landing gear and other stuff. We have used it several times to have the furnace fixed and the bedroom AC unit replaced. They have also paid for repairs to our holding tanks. I highly recommend Sam's policies. Very happy camper here.
Reb Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:05 AM   #15

Quote:

We have had very little need, so this may not be much help. I have had a couple of very minor parts issues, which FR sent me replacement parts (like the latch on the shower door), and I replaced them myself. Had a problem with the heat pump. Manufacturer would not send new control board to me--only one of their authorized dealers. Had to make a few phone calls to find a dealer who would help me, but got it done. Had problems with Magnadyne radio. They sent part (cable). Didn't fix problem, so they sent a new radio. I swapped it out myself.

Bunk curtains have defective backing. FR is in process of having new curtains sent to me.

As for service on the chassis, regular oil changes performed by my local Chevy dealer--where I already had a relationship anyway. Getting ready to take it in for two recalls from Chevy. Don't anticipate any problems.

Regular maintenance, like winterizing, I do myself. Two of my vent hatch covers are showing signs of cracking due to sun exposure (normal wear and tear IMHO). I have parts to replace and I am waiting for the weather to improve to do it.

At this point, I really have had no need to have a dealer work on anything.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Forest River -Work well and directly with me, arranging a RV Service Center (I purchased not local, due to model avaialablity), on a few warranty issues (back-up camera issue, and minor adjustments). I paid for service was re-imbursed from Forest River.

Just communicate with them, and make sure they know type of work being completed.

Markiemark
Markiemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:04 AM   #17

I haven't heard of any dealers refusing Extended Warranty work, but I have heard of several refusing Good Sams Service Plan. Most Extended Warranty plans will cover road service fees also.
jturnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:44 PM   #18

Extended warranty plan

Can anyone recommend a good Extended warranty plan for a Sunseeker ? And do you have to purchase these when the unit is new or can they be purchased after the 1st year FR warranty runs out? How about cost?
Thanks for any help
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:19 PM   #19

Coverage

We went with xtraride that is the same company as jayplus. Do a key word search for "xtraride and jayplus", you can read that they are RVDA endorsed. seemed to me to be a strong positive. But have not used it yet. PM me if you want more info about where I got it.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:18 PM   #20

I started to shop for an extended warranty and was all set on purchasing one from good Sam's. Until I read the small print. They use remanufactured or used parts to fix your problem. They also do not cover slide out seals or labor to repair the seals. It really bothered me that they do not use new parts. The price was not cheap either. 1345.00/ for a five year policy and a 100 solar deduction. I will shop elsewhere.
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good sam, service, warranty