Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 09:12 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
My OEM WFCO was not a smart 4 stage charger, and because I'm hooked up almost 100% of the time, it boiled out my batteries........or tried to. Changed to a 4 stage smart converter, and not one drop has gone out of batteries since.

That'd be MY reason.
Same for Us and my 4 6 volt batteries. When i got my new camper, I pulled the WFCO converter out, installed my new batteries, hardwired my EMS and put a new PD in. Most of it was plug and play, the only difficulty was access.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #22

Another question...

According to the literature the WFCO is missing the 4th stage which is the Equalize stage which is targeted towards battery groups.

It seems to have the same first 3 stages as other converters. Does this mean that the it does not do the 3 stages properly?

I am just asking and trying to understand the differences.
sask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #23

WFCOs also never get fully into bulk charge. They take a lot longer to charge your batteries which is a big problem when charging with your generator.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmergen View Post
Thanks for the explanation so I understand a bit better on the differences.

We purchased our Sunseeker preowned so maybe the converter had been replaced. Really have no idea.

Going to try and attach a few photos.

The photo of the converter shows it mounted on the wall of the rear compartment (have already removed the protective cover that was over it.

The box where the fuses are doesn't seem as large as some I've seen and doesn't seem to have a lower area where I've seen converters installed (like yours).

The carpeted wall to the left of the fuse box is the wall to the rear compartment on which the converter is installed on the opposite side.

That is how my 2650S is configured. Maybe that is how they do the big basement models. I see that the flimsy plastic shroud cover is missing from your converter. Mine is dangling from one screw. It is hard to hit good backing on that basement wall.
sask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:13 AM   #25

Sask..if you are not a boondocker your WFCO will more than likely serve you without problems. When it goes out..then worry about replacing it. JMO
Old 07-19-2018, 11:36 AM   #26

I sold my WFCO(year old) that came with my trailer for $90 on ebay and it sold within a day. I only paid $192 for my brand new Progressive dynamics Lithium converter. The extra $100 to upgrade is well worth it.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:04 PM   #27

WFCO vs 6volt batteries

My unit came with the WFCO 55 amp and 4 6 volt batteries. I too had nothing but issues with boiling the batteries. I was continuously having to add water. At a FROG rally I talked to a FR tech and he told me that the WFCO does not like/function well with 6 volt batteries. I chose to replace the 6 volt batteries in two sets of series with 12 volt batteries in parallel. No more issues. now all the electrical gurus can sound off but all I can say is the advice from the FR tech was right on the money.

As to the 6 volt batteries, they went into the golf cart.

GMC 3500 HD Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 34 RE
AirBox Revolution hitch
MorRyde pin box
Finlee Westie #5 (Door bell and security.)
Dave_the_Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:24 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_the_Piper View Post
My unit came with the WFCO 55 amp and 4 6 volt batteries. I too had nothing but issues with boiling the batteries. I was continuously having to add water. At a FROG rally I talked to a FR tech and he told me that the WFCO does not like/function well with 6 volt batteries. I chose to replace the 6 volt batteries in two sets of series with 12 volt batteries in parallel. No more issues. now all the electrical gurus can sound off but all I can say is the advice from the FR tech was right on the money.

As to the 6 volt batteries, they went into the golf cart.
The WFCO is just a poor charger in general. You probably had one bad cell somewhere in those 6V batteries that actually caused your issue.

Tags
converter, wfco