Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2015, 12:43 AM   #1

Sunseeker 3050 Questions

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and new to the RV life. My wife and I are seriously looking at a 2015 Sunseeker 3050SF (RV show pricing, which is nice!). We have a family of four: besides the two of us, two boys (8 & 4).

Anyone else have this model? What do you like and dislike?

I assume this is on the Ford E450. Is that right? How many years of life expectancy should I reasonably expect? (Say with two major trips a year, plus various shorter weekend or partial-week trips.)

No oven -- what do you think of the convection oven/microwave combo?

How is your folding "door" between the bathroom area and the master bedroom holding up? Too bad the design couldn't allow for a wood door here.

What other considerations would you guide me to think about?

Nice to meet you all, and thanks for your thoughts!

Chris
SmallAbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:35 AM   #2

Oh yes, and what kind of MPG range are you finding to be normal?
Old 02-08-2015, 07:21 AM   #3
Citrus County, Fl.

All good questions! We are in the process of ordering a Forester 3011DS and especially would like opinions on the convection microwave with deleting the gas oven.

Would also like to know opinions on the swivel seats. I think it would allow for more people to comfortably watch the television which is mounted on the side on the 3011

Outside TV. Is it worth the extra $1000 charge?
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:58 AM   #4

Well here's my 2 Cents-
I bought a new 2014 loaded w every option. Only thing I wish I had different was U shaped dinette, instead of the regular dinette.
I came , I looked, I bought. Just didn't see the U shape until after I already had it.
Overall the 3050 has been nice, I like the bedroom, the double fridge, and yes, the microwave/ convection works nice too.

Make sure you spend a lot of time during your walk thru and come ready to ask a lot of questions if you don't understand something or how it works. These coaches have a lot of systems onboard, and if your new to RVs you can get confused easily by not understanding how things work. Also look very closely for defects while your still at the dealer,,,mine had many things to fix before it even left the lot. Simple stuff like a stove burner wire, porch light didn't work, some paint scratches on the top edge ( where the dealer parked it too close to some trees ). Also be prepared for some things to go wrong the first 6-12 mos of owning it. Make sure you get on the dealer about these things before your warranty runs out. Luckily I worked all the bugs out my first year and now I'm real happy with it. Frustrating yes, but I'm finally happy.

I did a front end alignment after 5 k and what a improvement. I also put a K&N air intake, 5 Star Tuning, and exhaust on mine to free up that motor. Great motor but they are choked down when left stock. Mileage,,I tow so I'm not concerned. Maybe I'm getting 8 mpg. Good news is gas is down, right? Anyhow, plenty of power.

Buy yourself some nice non skid for the cupboards to keep things from sliding around. I found by stowing things right, buying the right stuff for dishes and what not, the road chatter is kept down.

So far I've traveled all through UTAH , I take mine skiing in decent winter weather, and I use it locally for sporting events. I actually sleep better in the RV than I do at home sometimes ( must be the fresh air). I'm going to use mine even more this year, even if it's close to home.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1423400227.438200.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	69289

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1423400131.854119.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	69287   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1423400157.793530.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	69288  
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:54 AM   #5
Citrus County, Fl.

Thanks for the post and the pictures. Nice looking rig and trailer. We have an 18' enclosed and haul a Goldwing trike and a 2 wheel Goldwing at times behind our F250 p/u without any sway issues even though we most likely exceeded the hitch capacity at the time without a WDH. Trike was up front and weighs about 1150# with the 900# 2 wheel wing about mid axle. New Forest River Forester/Sunseekers have a 750 tongue weight capacity with the WDH which is a big plus. Are you using a weight distributing hitch on yours and do you know what your approximate tongue weight is with what you carry?
99 Terry 31G
Old 02-08-2015, 11:24 AM   #6

I love the 3050s for me and my wife&dog 2 grand kids once in a while but if I had children I would go with the the 3170ds your kids would love it your outside awning is smaller but you can have some separation in the coach I almost ordered one just for my grandkids they loved havering there own room Good luck on whatever you choose
Old 02-08-2015, 01:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw7 View Post
Well here's my 2 Cents-
I bought a new 2014 loaded w every option. Only thing I wish I had different was U shaped dinette, instead of the regular dinette.
I came , I looked, I bought. Just didn't see the U shape until after I already had it.
Overall the 3050 has been nice, I like the bedroom, the double fridge, and yes, the microwave/ convection works nice too.

Make sure you spend a lot of time during your walk thru and come ready to ask a lot of questions if you don't understand something or how it works. These coaches have a lot of systems onboard, and if your new to RVs you can get confused easily by not understanding how things work. Also look very closely for defects while your still at the dealer,,,mine had many things to fix before it even left the lot. Simple stuff like a stove burner wire, porch light didn't work, some paint scratches on the top edge ( where the dealer parked it too close to some trees ). Also be prepared for some things to go wrong the first 6-12 mos of owning it. Make sure you get on the dealer about these things before your warranty runs out. Luckily I worked all the bugs out my first year and now I'm real happy with it. Frustrating yes, but I'm finally happy.

I did a front end alignment after 5 k and what a improvement. I also put a K&N air intake, 5 Star Tuning, and exhaust on mine to free up that motor. Great motor but they are choked down when left stock. Mileage,,I tow so I'm not concerned. Maybe I'm getting 8 mpg. Good news is gas is down, right? Anyhow, plenty of power.

Buy yourself some nice non skid for the cupboards to keep things from sliding around. I found by stowing things right, buying the right stuff for dishes and what not, the road chatter is kept down.

So far I've traveled all through UTAH , I take mine skiing in decent winter weather, and I use it locally for sporting events. I actually sleep better in the RV than I do at home sometimes ( must be the fresh air). I'm going to use mine even more this year, even if it's close to home.Attachment 69289

We are also planning a purchase of a new 3050S sometime in the next 12 months and your info is really helpful. What did the K&N air intake, tuning, etc cost to add? How does it help....more power, acceleration, or ?
I'm currently trying to figure out how we could move the TV to be directly across from the sofa. It seems that with the front entertainment center TV you have to look up and to the right at an uncomfortable angle to watch TV. How do you find it?
Thanks from another Northwestern Rver
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:34 PM   #8

We have a 3050s 2014, it is a great unit. We love just about everything in it. Plenty of storage and space to move around. Love the convection oven rather then regular oven . Had a regular one in our old unit and never used it, only for storage. The vanity and bath area are more spacious then most . We will have ours for 2 years this Aug. and wouldn't trade it for anything. Good luck and have fun camping with your new one, whatever you chose.
Sunnyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:08 AM   #9

Why do they put the TV over the cab? Someone in the design department must have a relative who is a chiropractor.
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:35 AM   #10

That's one of the reasons we got the over cab bunk with adjustable TV instead of the entertainment center. Not sure if I wanted to turn my head at such a angle and walk around with a stiff neck forever.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:46 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwoodjoe View Post
Why do they put the TV over the cab? Someone in the design department must have a relative who is a chiropractor.
Where would you like us to put it?

Everyone says this, but then on our new 2800QS, we put the TV DIRECTLY across from the couch and EVERY person that walks in, asks why we didn't put it in the cab over.

The 42" TV doesn't really fit anywhere else. The 32" that comes with the bunk is on a swing arm and can be adjusted.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:02 AM   #12
Citrus County, Fl.

RockwoodJoe...The Sunseeker 3010 and Forester 3011 have the TV directly across from the couch. This plan also has the most counter space and one of the highest outside storage capacities.
99 Terry 31G
Old 02-09-2015, 09:42 AM   #13

I'm enjoying seeing your answers to my post. Thanks, everyone!

Outlaw7, I appreciate your detailed reply. I echo JimOneil -- would you tell us a little more about your modifications to help your engine?

Sunnyfun, my wife says, can we bake a pizza or a batch of cookies ok in the convection oven? Sounds like it's working well for you.

I have looked at several models, the 3170 was our other top choice, but since there's only four in our immediate family, I thought the 3050 just opened up the space more. The bunks look nice, and I like the idea of having the extra couch, but I'm not convinced that the boys would fit comfortably on them to sleep as they too quickly get taller and grow into teens! Going with the 3050 seemed to add more space in the "master bedroom" and in the kitchen/living area. WDYT?

Very interested in a couple of questions that no one's tackled yet: any thoughts from anyone on the life expectancy for (1) the pleated folding door (it seems flimsy; is it easy to replace if needed?) and (2) for the MH itself? Will I still be driving it in 10, 15, 20 years?

Again, thanks for the welcome and for the active, interesting forum!

Chris
Old 02-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #14

In talking to one of the salespeople in our search, when I asked about lifespan of the RV, he mentioned that he's never seen a gas Class C with over 100,000 miles on in the last 7-8 years he's been doing this. Thus my question regarding how long my family can expect to drive/use this unit. Hmmm, not trying to spark a whole gas vs diesel debate, but am genuinely and practically curious about the longevity one can expect.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:58 AM   #15

We have two grandchildren, now 9 and 10, who travel with us frequently. Our 3170 with bunks is perfect for them and us. Would not want the bunks to have separate DVD players in the bunks as some bunk models do. The grandkids have enough gadgets with screens. The lower bunk makes into a couch for them. When the grandkids aren't along we throw "stuff" on the bunks.

A wooden sliding door separates the bedroom from the bunks.

We have the separate gas oven. We cook frozen "highway pizza" going down the road and the grandkids love it. We would not give up the gas oven.

We get a lot of bang for our buck with our 3170.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
budblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:24 AM   #16

Yes, you can definitely bake all that you mentioned and more. You might want to stick to the round pizzas though, because the square ones hit the door when turning. I love to make fresh muffins in the morning ! Your wife will love it, plus the nice storage draws where a gas oven would have been. I use it for pots and pans. We also considered the 3170 because of the desk, but, we are so glad we got the 3050. We love the spacious vanity, bathroom area and the kitchen is so great spacious yet compact. Love the openness to the bedroom, haven't had any trouble with the folding door ,we had one in our old unit and still worked after 10 plus years. Good luck with your choice and have fun !
Old 02-09-2015, 11:36 AM   #17

Thanks, Sunnyfun, for sharing your experience. Very helpful!
Old 02-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #18

Your Welcome !!!!!
Old 02-10-2015, 05:23 AM   #19

Responding to the engine questions- I guess I've always been 'performance minded' so it was a logical choice to spend $1k on the engine/ exhaust mods. The K&N was $330? (Ebay). Definitely more air coming in, serviceable, I can see if/when it's dirty. The 5 Star Tuner (SCT tuner $450) allows the ECU computer to be re-calibrated for air/fuel ratio at full throttle, transmission shift points, and fuel mileage. This mod alone is worth the $$$ spent. My rig tows better, has better acceleration, and better mileage. Then to finish it off, go to your exhaust shop and put on a true Free Flow muffler. You might hear it more than the stock muffler, but that's because everything is flowing better. More air in, more exhaust out.

TV in the entertainment center up front- I love the finished look of the cabinetry and it's a nice big 42" screen. I don't have kids, so I won't be needing the bunk space, and I didn't want an upper bunk which would end up being the 'catch all' for luggage and such. Behind the two side doors there is plenty of storage space, a roll out shelf, so my DVD movies, magazines, and whatever, all have a out of the way place to be.
As far as watching TV from the couch, I'm usually LAYING on the couch so it works great . A quick lowering of the dinette table could be the 'other lounge station'. Haven't tried it yet but with some pillows/comforter I'm sure I could fall asleep there too!

The folding bedroom partition (door)- Hmmm, I've only used it once. It works. Enough said.

When the 2015 came out I checked it out to see what was new. I really liked a few new things like the hinged lower sofa face. It folds down to allow better entry under the sofa ( for storage, like my shoes). Paid my dealer $60 to modify that for me and I like it.
I also like the metal backsplash around the stove ( I'll go to Home Depot and buy some and install myself). Easy.
The biggest thing I liked about the new 2015 is the sliding pantry next to the fridge. The whole pantry slides out on rollers, how nice is that for easy access?

In closing ( again ) , before departing on the road always check your air pressures. Tires and air bags. This really helps your stability in driving. Oh, and take good care of your batteries too. I've had to replace a battery during storage down time because I didn't check on things enough during the cold of winter. ( I'm learning! ) I've learned so much by just reading this forum, and I continue to . BClemens, thank you for all your input, you've answered so many of my un-asked questions and given me a better understanding of things. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1423563568.116069.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	69434Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1423563603.546611.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	69435Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1423563654.656873.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	69436Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1423563819.314951.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	69437

Old 02-10-2015, 05:52 AM   #20

Dang it!!
Forgot to mention some other 'Must Have Mods'
Get some nice roof vent covers, so you can keep the vents open while driving. Sure helps keeping the air moving and the heat down.
Dirt Devil Central Vacuum System ($300 on sale). Mounts in lower outside storage and has hose receptacle near the inside entry steps. Plug the hose in and vacuum away. Hose and attachments stow easy in same compartment.
And definitely replace the shower head with a Oxygenics unit,,,plenty of water pressure and a nice shower.

No, I'm not rich! I just can't help myself when it comes to 'creature comforts' and doing it right. I might die a poor man, but at least I'll be able to say I had a good run

Tags
305, 3050s, convection, e450, ford, sunseeker