Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2020, 10:45 AM   #1

2016 FR Georgetown Fridge on Battery

I have 6 batteries on my FR Georgetown XL. They seem to run nothing but the lights. Am I able to run the fridge off the battery power? Not sure if I have an inverter or not. I would expect with all this battery power I can, but I push the battery button next to the door, but fridge only seems to run when gen is on or connected to shore power. Please help.
overyawnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:38 PM   #2
NXR

What make of fridge is it? If a Dometic or Norcold, those are different than a home (residential) fridge. They are an "absorption" fridge.

This type boils an ammonia/hydrogen mix and that produces the cooling. The ammonia/hydrogen can be heated to a boil either by propane or 120 volts AC house power, such as that supplied by a generator or shore power.

Our Norcold 1210 four-door requires about 450 watts of 120 VAC power, or about 4 amps of power. To produce that same amount of power using 12 volts and an inverter would pull over 40 amps out of the batteries.

With six batteries, presumably six 6-volt golf cart-type batteries, you may be able to have 40 amps pulled out but they won't last for days or anything close.

That's why people will run absorption fridges using 12 volts and the propane capability if shore power or a generator are not available. These types of fridges really use very little propane, nothing like the amount of propane that a furnace will use.

Make sense?

Ray
Old 11-02-2020, 02:14 PM   #3

I also have a 2016 Georgetown - 369xl
Next to the row of switches next to the steps there is a button about 6” to the right of them. When you press the button after turning battery switch it should turn green. Refrig is then able to run off of batteries.
This is how mine is set up. Hope this helps.
Frank DeFeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:38 PM   #4

Yes. All of the XL's as far back as I remember are equipped standard from the factory with Invertor which creates electricity using your Batteries. In addition to the refrigerator you can also now use some of the electrical outlets off the "Batteries/Invertor"
Akozub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:46 PM   #5
Cat Coach Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeFeo View Post
I also have a 2016 Georgetown - 369xl
Next to the row of switches next to the steps there is a button about 6” to the right of them. When you press the button after turning battery switch it should turn green. Refrig is then able to run off of batteries.
This is how mine is set up. Hope this helps.

In addition to the inverter on off switch mentioned above, there is also a reset button on the inverter itself. I don’t have a clue as to why my inverter reset popped but it did but hasn’t since.
EEZ RV TPMS
Master Tow 80THDSB Dolly
2009 Nissan Altima
Cat Coach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, fridge, georgetown